Stock fuel injector limits??

DStroyer

Registered
What are your opinions on the limits of the stock fuel injectors?? Some say 275, which is where I believe they safely run, some say 300. Does anyone have some real world expierience with this???

This is on a Velocity racing stage I running c16 fuel.

Thanks in advance for the replies!!

Gary

I have run them max'd out to just over 300hp. There is no set limit on what you can run and the risk just increases as you go up. That said I believe 275 is a reasonable limit.

100psi fuel pressure seems to be the general consensus. just shy of or about 300hp also seems to be abother limit.

blackbird (yep, the honda bike) and s2000 (car) injectors are drop ins and are both larger than the busa's. i was suprized to hear that about the blackbird because they make less power, so i wouldnt have guessed them to be more capable, lol. what are your goals for the stockers?

Thanks for the replies guys!!

I really dont have any goals for HP. The 275 is plenty. I will most likely upgrade to a stage II system if it ever becomes not enough, and the fuel system will be taken care of with that change.

I do have a 2 stage boost controller on the machine, and was curious if the injectors could handle increasing the boost a point or two. Currently, its got a 4 lb spring in the external waste gate, with the second stage at 7 psi. Im not a big fan of maxing out any system, I would rather just bow my head and offer some congrats to a fellow racer, than push the motor where it doesnt want to go.

Has anyone ever installed the billet oil pan from APE?? Just wondering if it really works they way its claimed to be, and does it appear to be built well enough to hold up. I would hate to see the swivel stop swiveling for any reason.

Thanks,

Gary

keep an eye on the FMU (aka fuel pressure regulator). It's always better to go to the microtek unit instead.

As long as the pickup got a swivel you're good. Never heard anyone get one that got stuck.

you really shouldnt run multiple stages of boost on an FMU. an FMU and the PC are not that great of items for changes like that. the work fine for the single stage, but when you add the different ones, the only difference the fuel system sees is the FMU holding more pressure.... so it may run WOT fine at one psi setting, but chances will be that it wont respond correctly to another level of boost.

Its a rising rate regulator, meaning the fuel pressure is increased by the vacuum pressure. Is this not a good idea??

Thanks,

Gary

the FMU (rising rate reg) is correct for a turbo application, it just may not be able to do more than a single stage of boost. on the fuel system, the fmu puts the a/f somewhat close to where it needs to be, then the power commander adjusts the fuel to put it exactly where you need the a/f t be. when you up the boost like 5 psi for example, you may need a higher RATE of raising the fuel pressure to maintain the same a/f as well as some altering of the power commanders tune.

for example (rounded numbers to make eisier example), if you had 100 units of air molecules and needed 20 units of fuel at a particular setting, then upped the air flow to lets say 133 units of air, you might need 29 units of fuel. the second stage has 33% more FUEL, while it needed ~45% more fuel for the air.

but now the GOOD news... you do have a couple of options if you want multiple stages of boost. the first is you run TWO power commanders and set up the second to read BOOST instead of throttle position. fyi; the PC maps are rpms x throttle position. so one would tweak the fuel according to the throttle, the other according to boost. have not done myself, but i guess a few shops do it regularly. i think i may give it a shot too.

option two: there is a new module that PC made that will read boost, and then be able to make adjustments accordingly. AHAB for SH.org has one, but i have not heard any updates on it being installed yet and the sort...

for the last statement, if you ran 2 stages and ran the boost levels similar enough, it MIGHT work without doing anything fancy like the above ideas. if you wanted like 8psi and then up to 10psi, the tunes MAY be similar enough that the FMU would be able to compensate for it alone without another fuel tweaking device. once again, i have not done this myself, but it would SEEM like it could work IMHO.

good luck and BOOST!!!!!!!!!!

While in theory multiple boost stages with a FMU may not produce perfect fueling in all stages in practice it works fine. I run 4 stages using a Vortech FMU. Mapping was all done using the last stage. Since the fuel pressure increase is linear with the FMU there is fuel taken out in the lower stages so if anything they run richer. As power loss isn't an issue in lower gears (that’s why you have multiple stage in the first place) the only effect of added fuel is extra safety against detonation.

Thanks guys.

I appreciate all the info here. I will keep the 2nd stage within 2 psi of the first to be safe. Im all for keeping my motor in one piece. If for some reason I need more, I will just upgrade to the stage II with the piggyback injectors and its own control.

Gary

(Gary Evans @ Feb. 11 2007,08:17) While in theory multiple boost stages with a FMU may not produce perfect fueling in all stages in practice it works fine. I run 4 stages using a Vortech FMU. Mapping was all done using the last stage. Since the fuel pressure increase is linear with the FMU there is fuel taken out in the lower stages so if anything they run richer. As power loss isn't an issue in lower gears (that’s why you have multiple stage in the first place) the only effect of added fuel is extra safety against detonation.
Could you tell us what range of pressure you are running between the 4 stages?

Base boost (1st, 2nd) is 8lbs but that will creep up at high rpm. 3rd is 10lbs, 4th is 12lbs and 5th/6th is 15lbs.
1st and 2nd are too violent to drive all the way through with the stock swing arm and 3rd/6th levels were selected to stay just below a wheel stand. Boost control stages are automatic by gear position.

Back