Stock chain

dadofthree

do you apply wd-40 liberally to chain and then clean ,or use on a rag and wipe chain?

i don't wanna start the whole wd-40 thing.. just want to know what is working for you..

thanks

WD-40 is spray kerosene, I put the bike on the stand after running up the road and warming the chain, put it in gear and spray it down, use a rag immediately to completely clean chain exterior, then throw some chain wax on it and shut it down, typically to sit over night. The stuff I use doesn't sling off if it sits over night, but if I were to immediately ride off I would get some sling, not much but some.

I don't do this as often as I should but try to do it at least every thousand miles or so. Put 32K miles on the factory chain and sprockets and they still had some life in them.

To the OP,

WD 40 is fine to clean the chain, but is not a lubricant, use a brand name aerosol chain lube for this. I use honda branded lube with white lithium.

I have had great results with DID chains (just put a DID 530 ZVM x2 on), they stretch very little plus the gold color seems to be brighter and to stay better on the DID's than some of the other brands.

I have a motion pro pbr chain tool and it works well.

When riveting the master link get the diameter spec the rivet is to be swelled to. To little the side plate could come off, to much and the pin splits (don't ask me how I know the last one).

Warning - putting the bike in gear under idle while wiping the chain down can result in the loss of a finger! In fact there have been reports of folks getting there hands caught in the chain/sprocket just turning it by hand so be careful, I highly recommend using a chain brush designed to eliminate this from happening.

Warning - putting the bike in gear under idle while wiping the chain down can result in the loss of a finger! In fact there have been reports of folks getting there hands caught in the chain/sprocket just turning it by hand so be careful, I highly recommend using a chain brush designed to eliminate this from happening.

Yeah, I can definitely see that being a problem....LOL
I have some WD40 and chain lube/wax in teh garage.
Normally after I ride I put on the chain wax and it sits till the next time I ride.
Usually the next day or 2.
The chain does have, I guess gold colored caps/links on them but I guess their coated with a little grease.
Its probably best if I used a brush instead of a wrag to wipe it.
Would a simple toothbrush sufice?

***EDIT***

After a quick Ebay search, I found these.

1)
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337943218&icep_item=181394848301

$T2eC16dHJIIE9qTYLicoBRkbOuJ2e!~~60_12.JPG

2)

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337943218&icep_item=120933793004

$(KGrHqZ,!jgE+R2UWt(fBP3Qf,p9)Q~~60_35.JPG

If you use Dupont Chain saver it will both clean and lubricate the chain. Once you use it any additional cleaning is minimal. I got 32K out of my last chain using this product.

Yes, Some K-Marts have it in their motorcycle accessories section.

LOL.
I laugh when I think of K-mart and motorcycle section....LOL

But I will check on my way home this afternoon tho.
So if I get that. I wont need a chain lube?
How about after I ride, can I still use that as a lube or just use my current chain wax I have now

Darn-it, I meant Wal-Mart. No it is a wax based chain lube. The carrier also does a good job of cleaning the chain.

What I do is put my bike up on the rear stand and place it in neutral. Spray the chain as it comes up over the sprocket while turning the rear wheel slowly in the forward direction. Aim mostly at the gaps in the side plates where the o-rings are because that is where the lube is most important and where the grunge builds up. Once I hit the whole chain I wipe it down with a rag. Then repeat as necessary until the chain is clean.

Once it is clean it will stay clean unless you ride in the rain or through water.

Then I just give it a shot every few hundred miles to keep it lubed.

I probably do the whole cleaning thing 4 times a year but lube it much more often.

If your chain is really filthy you may want to clean it with something cheaper like kerosene first then use the Chain saver.

I am also looking at replacing my chain, but have a question...

is a 530 chain a 530 chain? i know that there are preferred brands, o ring style, x ring, etc.

but are ther application differences? One chain i was looking at reviews for, had many comments more geared toward cruiser applications, some for primary drives etc...

Do cruisers have different requirements then a "sport" type bike, even if the chain size is 530?

is a 530 chain a 530 chain? i know that there are preferred brands, o ring style, x ring, etc.

but are ther application differences? One chain i was looking at reviews for, had many comments more geared toward cruiser applications, some for primary drives etc...

Do cruisers have different requirements then a "sport" type bike, even if the chain size is 530?

From what I know, the Busa uses an "O" ring type chain (RK GB50GSV Z4)

Yup, 530 is the pitch size, you will need a o-ring or x-ring chain from one of the quality name brands: DID, EK, RK

dont spray wd40 onto the chain to clean it. it removes grease very well and soaks in past the orings and degreases the inside of the chain and can hurt the chain. i spray it onto a towel and wipe the chain clean before spraying on chain lube.

Back