Stock chain

blacknight

Registered
I'm looking into replacing my stock chain.
HOWEVER, I've seen a few bikes with a goldish/bronze chain.
Does anyone know the stock chain size or where to get the correct chain but with that goldish color to it??

Be sure to swap chain and sprockets at same time. I carry both. I have the good gold also

I Highly recommend the Supersprox kit through Pashnit (Sponsor) They have the stock size. You will also need a chain tool to break the old chain and rivet on the new one. I have a Park tools kit I bought through Cycle Gear and it worked well.

regarding the chain tool.
It appears the chain was previously replaced as there's a master link.
Would I still need a tool to instal the new chain?

They all have a master link and unless it's the clip typre vs, rivet you'll need the tool or need to borrow one.

Correction, I'm 90% sure its a clip on type master link.
But in case I'm wrong, can I just use a dremel to cut thru one of the links to get the old chain off.
Then when installing the new chain, use a pair of vice grips to push in the rivet of the new one??

ALSO....
Can I use WD40 to clean the old chain?
The old chain & sprockets appear to be fine but I want to clean it.
My last bike, I used WD40, just want to make sure its fine with the Busa

First, you do not want to use a clip on master link with the Busa. There is a reason they use the rivet type master link, they are not strong enough and the clip can pop off.

Second, if it is a rivet type chain, it depends on the chain tool you have. Most have you dremel off the ends of the rivet. I used one of the small cutting wheels on mine and they cut right off.
Then you have to use the tool to push the old link apart.

Third, You cannot effectively rivet the new link on with a vise grip. The rivets have hollow ends and are designed to be spread from the inside out. You must use a chain tool to do this. You also use it to press the master link together to the right dimensions before riveting the pins. And to drive the old link apart for disassembly. If you do not have the tool and cannot buy or borrow one, bring it to a shop and have them do it. I bought mine from Cycle Gear for like 30 bucks on sale and have loaned it out to friends on occasion. It came with very good instructions that you should follow exactly.

Your last few questions. You can use anything you want but the manufacturer recommends Kerosene, It's cheap, cleans well and does not strip out the lubricants or dry out the o-rings. Your front sprocket is probably more worn than the rear. It is recommended you swap out all three at the same time for maximum life of the chain and sprockets.

First, you do not want to use a clip on master link with the Busa. There is a reason they use the rivet type master link, they are not strong enough and the clip can pop off.

That actually makes Sense.....LOL
thanks
I do remember using a clip on, master link for my 04 GSXR 600
But again, that was a 600. The Busa has more than double the CC's
So I can see why a simple clip on master link would be an issue

Second, if it is a rivet type chain, it depends on the chain tool you have. Most have you dremel off the ends of the rivet. I used one of the small cutting wheels on mine and they cut right off.
Then you have to use the tool to push the old link apart.

Basically.....
It's best if I had a chain tool....LOL

Third, You cannot effectively rivet the new link on with a vise grip. The rivets have hollow ends and are designed to be spread from the inside out. You must use a chain tool to do this. You also use it to press the master link together to the right dimensions before riveting the pins. And to drive the old link apart for disassembly. If you do not have the tool and cannot buy or borrow one, bring it to a shop and have them do it. I bought mine from Cycle Gear for like 30 bucks on sale and have loaned it out to friends on occasion. It came with very good instructions that you should follow exactly.

OK.
Getting the chain off isnt that much of a problem.
Worst case I can use a dremel to cut it off.
But how can I take the chain to the shop, have them instal the link then put it on the bike??
UNLESS, you mean take the bike to the shop and let them do the work....yeah, that makes more sense..LOL

Your last few questions. You can use anything you want but the manufacturer recommends Kerosene, It's cheap, cleans well and does not strip out the lubricants or dry out the o-rings. Your front sprocket is probably more worn than the rear. It is recommended you swap out all three at the same time for maximum life of the chain and sprockets.

Well, I'm going to check the chain length and make sure it's within specs.
If it is then I will just clean the chain and be happy.
If its out of spec, I will consider replacing the chain & sprockets. Although, the rear looks pretty good. Teeth are still square and not sharp or bent..
I assume I can use a wrag or toothbrush tp clean the chain?

Buy a good chain tool, it won't be much more(if any) than the cost of a shop charging you to put a new chain on.

Buy a good chain tool, it won't be much more(if any) than the cost of a shop charging you to put a new chain on.

Ok.
I assume this is what I'm looking for??

Chain Breaker Riveting Tool Kit Cutter ATV Bike Motorcycle Cam Drive | eBay

Heck...
I found the same one cheaper....LOL

New Motorcycle Cam Drive Chain Breaker Riveter Rivet Riveting Cutter Shop Tool | eBay

And I assume this is the same..

Motorcycle ATV Chain Breaker Remover Cut Cutter Tool Lifetime Warranty | eBay

So, which would you guys recommend.....

That one looks the same as the Park Tool I have. Should work fine. Make sure it has the instructions. Chains 530 and larger require you to cut off the rivet heads with a dremel or other tool before pressing the master link apart.

That one looks the same as the Park Tool I have. Should work fine. Make sure it has the instructions. Chains 530 and larger require you to cut off the rivet heads with a dremel or other tool before pressing the master link apart.

Uh, which tool.
I listed 3

Correction, I'm 90% sure its a clip on type master link.
But in case I'm wrong, can I just use a dremel to cut thru one of the links to get the old chain off.
Then when installing the new chain, use a pair of vice grips to push in the rivet of the new one??

ALSO....
Can I use WD40 to clean the old chain?
The old chain & sprockets appear to be fine but I want to clean it.
My last bike, I used WD40, just want to make sure its fine with the Busa

I've been using WD-40 to clean my chains since 2006 about 90K miles and then throwing the Gold Can Maxima chain wax on.

Back