Stage 1 Hahn Kit

pwrjunkie80

Registered
Ok I know there are already a few posts on the stage 1 Hahn kit, and most of the responses are "it depends on what you're looking for". Well I know what Im looking for, and its just, and only just stage 1 power, no upgrades no running over 8psi and no making over 250hp. I know there are plenty of yall running well over 300 horse with no prob, but my main concern with the turbo, (especially reading about all the melted pistons), is blowing the engine up. And I do believe that 250hp is more than enough for me just doing street riding. Now my question is this....What do you think the chances of me running into an engine prob with just the Hahn stage 1 personally installed and professionally tuned by Powerhouse cycles in NY. Also all you guys that did have probs, what psi and stage kits were you running. And my last question is, will this set up affect the longevity of the engine? Oh and one more thing, way off topic...........where is a decent place to get a custom Busa paint job.......CSC?

Anyway, I have already ordered the stage 1 kit, but I am currently in Afganistan on a military deployment, so I wont even be able to install it until I get leave. But I thought Id atleast get a head start, and its something to really look foward to. Any info or help is greatly appreciated as I am brand new to the whole turboing thing and could use all I can get.

THANKS in advance,
Pwrjunkie80

I'm sure Ninja Eater will chime in on the post when he see's it...I believe he is the only one running a Hahn kit here...Most everyone hear runs Velocity or Ghetto...As long as you know what you want and understand the limits of the kit and engine you should be find...The same applies to any of the available kit...Install and tuning are so important an absolute must...Hope you get leave soon so you can get boosted...Once you ride it they might have you AWOL for a week or two...
evil.gif

LOL!!! Its that addictive huh? I cant wait!! Would you yourself reccomend like a big bore kit as opposed to a turbo after all the trouble youve had setting it up?

Pwrjunkie80

Oh we most certianly do get leave here........Thank goodness! And yes cold hard cash to pay it right off! Being deployed does have its perks!

Pwrjunkie80

So where do you go when you get leave? Back to the states or just hang around there

The basic Hahn kit is a fine kit. Also the Getto kit base is a great kit. have it installed and TUNED by a por. I do not know your guys?? make sre that you read everything you can on gauges and things to watch. gas, water injection (not for increaing boost bt for added precaution). If you stay around 250hp you wil be fine. NOW EVE AT 250MPH YOU CAN DO HIGH SPEED RUNS AND MELT THE ENGINE. Adding any Hp to a egione takes away life f the engine and cased rebuilds earlier. MKost of the time people get into trouble by going for the 200mph mark. whcih is hard on the turbo 2 minutes of racing on te to with bad gas and BOOM.

LOL!!! Its that addictive huh?  I cant wait!!  Would you yourself reccomend like a big bore kit as opposed to a turbo after all the trouble youve had setting it up?

Pwrjunkie80
That's a good question...Got a partner that has a big bore kit and nos, bike screams...With equal riders the turbo will smoke him...Carpenters kit will get you roughly 210hp which is nothing to be ashamed of...At 6pds of boost I'm at 250hp and seldom swicth to the 8pd setting...The big bore kit is having problems running hot on the street...And the slight inconvience of having to deal with the bottles...Remember my problems were not caused by the turbo the turbo just magnified mechanical problems that I was having with the bike...So in essence if I were to do it all again I would more than likely remain with boost...If your for certain that you will not want to go above say 250hp then stick with a entry level kit their awesome...If you have any thought of going above that I would suggest that you get the next step up in a kit not sure what Hahn offers but that would save you money in the long run...If you were to go with a kit that produced more HP you can always limit the amount of HP produced and then only pay for a different spring for the wastegate...That's a lot cheaper than paying for major upgrades...
evil.gif

Hey guys, thanks again for the advice. I feel really torn on the turbo and the big bore now. I know most people say that the turbo is more bang for your buck, but I just looked at the Carpenterracing.com web site and they have drive in drive out prices for thier 210hp kits for like 2800 with 111fpt at top end. Now I realize the power curve between turbo and big bore are different right? Is the turbo's power usually in a more useable rpm range than the big bore? I also heard that big bore mods arent as street friendly as turbo. Is this true? How bout reliability issues. Stunnah I know you said that the big bores, specifically Carpenterracing, had overheating probs, does anyone else have experience with these kits?
20 Q's here but bare with me. Last q is this, I kinow the turbo works primarily whe you accelerate, but say I wanna cruise at like 120 for 10 miles or so, is the turbo still working hard? I guess what Im getting at is do I run the risk of melting anything if I just wanna cruse at a really high speed. I know I cant accelerate for too long with a turbo, nor would I prolly want to considering I value my life, but I just want to clairify the everyday rideability with turbo use.

Anyway thanks again for the replies, and hope all is doing well this holiday season. Ride it one time for me til I get back. GEEEEEZZZ the anticipation is killin me!!!!!!

Pwrjunkie80

I have done the big bore kits and here in Fl, they tend to run a little too hot for me. Especially stuck in beach traffic. The turbo will not work hard cruising at 120 at all. Mine starts making boost at 3500 rpms and if you keep it sensible {6lbs}
or so, you should have no problems with it. If you like to tinker around and adjust the boost level up above 8, you could have some bad things happen. I have the lowered compression, water injection and have no problem going to 10lbs on the street, with mixed gas.
Like Ninja said, have a good tuner install the kit and set it up.

Just like the other have said...Setup and tuning are the most important issues of either turbo or big bore...In my initial post I mentioned that a friend had a big bore then I mentioned Carpenters HP figures...I don't know what kit my firend has in his big nor the displacement just that he has had a problem with it running hot on the street...As for running a sustained 120mph it has not been a problem for me...I ususally cruise been 80/90mph and the boost guage is at zero at 5K rpms which is just at the point of boosting...I've also heard the complaint of big bore bikes loosing some of the lower rpm power which is not a problem with an entry level turbo system...At this point I'm very happy with my bike and it setup...
evil.gif

Back