sprocket changes

BusaRyder3

Registered
I was wondering what is the most effective sprocket change without giving up too much top end, and gaining a litte more down low?

Good question,

I am looking for the best combo of sprockets too. The front to rear Ratio of stock sprockets is about 3 to 1 (Rear/Front). I get that from dividing the front number of teeth (17) into the rear (40). Actually 3 to 1 would be 41/17. So for every one tooth change in the front, it is the same as a three tooth change in the back. And similarly a one tooth change in the back is equal to a 1/3 tooth change in front.

So the the way to least affect your top end is to keep it as close to stock as possible. A one tooth bigger rear sprocket will give you slightly better acceleration and slightly lower top speed. Two teeth bigger in the rear will have a little more of this effect. At three teeth bigger you can opt to just use the stock rear and go one tooth smaller in front instead for the same effect.

I have read in articles people are using 1 down in front and 2 up in back. This is about 10% less speed and 10% more acceleration. So on the Busa we would top out at around 175 but wheelie in every gear! Nothing could touch you in a drag race and you can still outrun almost every car on the road.

I woud like to hear what everyone has changed sprockets to on their Busa and what that did for them. It would help a lot in figuring out how much is good and how much is too much.

1 down,2 up....thats me . This combo will slam yer a$$ into the hump . lil less fuel economy,who cares . throws the speedo off,who cares. she'll pull like a Rottweiller tugs on a bone . My buddy jumped on my ride the other day for a little trade , he lasted about 2 minutes , he pulled over an' said "yer bike pulls like an' animal" . he rides a Katana , poor chump . hee hee hee .
Remem....change 'em all as a set...f/r/chain....

o ya...goin down in the front is cheaper,but theoretically[sp] puts more stress on a chain as it turns a tighter circle.
goin' up in the back, is prolly bedder .
NINJA EATER is yer man on this topic...the boy knows his gearin' . hav a good nite...RSD.

Thanks RSD, Did the chain length have to change or is the stock length alright? And did you run Aluminum or Steel rear sprocket?

Since I like to do road trips gas mileage was a concern and wanted it to pull alittle bit harder than our stock gearing A 17/42 pulls real nice and its alot easier to cat walk her (wheelie). It did cut down on the top end alittle but with a quicker top end (torque baby) , the gas mileage was still satisfactory as well. Also no vibration in the hand grips with this gear combo when cruzn @ 75 to 80.

Thanks RSD,  Did the chain length have to change or is the stock length alright?  And did you run Aluminum or Steel rear sprocket?
I cant remem what I cut that chain too...It was a new DID Xring...I'll have to got out to the shop an' count 'em up for ya(the links) I was going to go with alum sprocs , you know to save a little weight , but then I thought , I'm sittin' on the worlds most powerfull production bike . Are aluminum sprockets up to the challenge ? So I just went with steel.

1 down and 2 up is WAY too much gear for anything except for wheelies and low end.
From a dead stop, the geared bike wll pull a stock geared bike thru about 3rd gear. At or around that time, the stock geared bike will start rolling past and keep going like the geared bike dropped an anchor!
1 down is about the same as 3 up in the rear.

2 up is the most common on the rear.

1 down is the most common on the front.

1 down OR 3 up, IMHO, is too much.
I like an all around ride, that includes top end.

My stock bike is geared stock, for now. I "might" go 1 tooth up on the rear later.

My built bike will have a 42 for drag racing, on 1 wheel,  and a 37 for topend on the other wheel.

Just MY .02

1 down and 2 up is WAY too much gear.
way too much gear for what .....

maybe i like ridin' wheelies....

maybe I'm into racin' light to light...

maybe there's a backroad strip in my town an' this gearing lets me toast everyone .

The boys asked for gearing types...I listed mine , an' you tell me its shid...

go fug yerself . go piss in someone else's yard .

There,
I edited my post.
Sorry to offend you!!

BTW,
It's Go fUKK yourself, NOT FUG.

So just so we have it straight.

GO fUKK YOURSELF, PRIKK!

I wasn't trying to piss on ANYONE!

I was trying to help with an all around gearing.

Where's that :FINGER: emoticon when ya need it?

PS,
If ya need that much gear to ride a wheelie,
You OBVIOUSLY don't know what you are doing!
laugh.gif

1 down in front works best and is the cheapest. I am 5 up in back for the 1/4. I tried 1 down in front and 5 up on back but couldn't keep the front down(in 5th
kickass.gif
).

TJ,
You aren't allowed to speak on this thread.

Your opinion doesn't matter and you aren't allowed to try to help anyone.

Heaven forbid,
you try to actually voice an opinion.

BAD BOY!
Now,
Go to your room!

There,
I edited my post.
Sorry to offend you!!

BTW,
It's Go fUKK yourself, NOT FUG.

So just so we have it straight.

GO fUKK YOURSELF, PRIKK!

I wasn't trying to piss on ANYONE!

I was trying to help with an all around gearing.

Where's that :FINGER: emoticon when ya need it?

PS,
If ya need that much gear to ride a wheelie,
You OBVIOUSLY don't know what you are doing!
laugh.gif
so now we're just gonna get into a whole big mudslingin' fest.

Yer on yer own pal . The first the lines of this post were great , they rest , maybe uneeded .

Obviously I dont know what I'm doin . ok . fine . what do you care for . Maybe those gears were givin' to me . Maybe me an' some friends were goofin' around down at the shop an' decided to see how nutty a busa could be on that gearing .
I like it . Its fun . I dont know how many top-speed runs you make per day on the street with yer bike,but I try an' limit those .I got alot of people that love me an' depend on me to come home in one piece everynight. This gearing is fun for qwik little sprints here an' there.....going 200 MPH all the time is not my answer for a long an' happy life .
Anyways I dont care what you do....chuck all the shid you want....I have zero interest in you .

Yer next post is funny too....sort of . An attempt is being made to use his thread to toss more dirt . But its obvious he dont wanna play yer silly little deal either . He read thru all the crap , an' just posted something about gearing .

Anyway , if you cant figure out why I got pissy , an' told you to go fug yerself...then you haven't figured it out .

Whatever , I've spent way too much time on all this drivle.

Yeah, you've spent too much time HERE, as a matter of fact!

I never mentioned you, your bike, or your dprockets.

YOU brought ME into this when you quoted me and started FUGin me..

The guy asked a question, I answered HIM, not YOU.

Now FUKK OFF AND DIE, PRIKK!

You are ZERO!

As an impartial observer, it does seem that such spats seem to follow SleeperBusa wherever he may tread.  Dunno if it's his communication skills or his aura, but I see evidence that bad karma is in this guy's pores...

It does read, whether intentional or not, that Sleeper came into the thread and right off the bat his post appeared to pass judgement onto what others had suggested, rather than just offering his own suggestion.  Simply saying "I run stock, but *might* go one up on rear" might have been a lot better received than to START OUT your post ragging on what others had suggested as being way too much, etc.  It came across as both know-it-all and extremely judgemental, as if you were in qualified position to pass such judgement. It's not the content/info that rubs, it's the method in which it was delivered, dude...

Bear,
Once again,
THANKS for analizing my posts.

That was not my intent!

I don't claim to "know it all".
I have just, "done alot", and was trying to help.
I wasn't picking on anyone.

Bear,
Once again,
THANKS for analizing my posts.

That was not my intent!

I don't claim to "know it all".
I have just, "done alot", and was trying to help.
I wasn't picking on anyone.
I'm trying, in the nicest way possible, to help you consider that while your information may be valuable and your experience worth communicating, the WAY you relay it may actually be the source of the apparent conflicts.  Many a fight/argument/war has begun just because of the tone/method of delivery of a message that was, in itself, very innocent... However, if you can sit there with a straight face while re-reading your previous posts in this thread and try to claim that you weren't picking on anyone, well, we agree to disagree...unless telling people that they "don't know what they're doing" is common communication terms where you grew up...

Bear,
Somehow I don't believe that you are being as "impartial" as you state you are.
YES, I said that.

AFTER I was told to get FUGGED.
But,
I'm the one that's wrong?

So it's ok for 1 guy to tell another to get FUGGED, but it's wrong for me to say something back?

I see where you are comming from now. I won't argue with you on this , because you have you mind made up.

Get your last word in, I'm out of this.
confused.gif

This is a very bad display on this thread. A question was asked and it went to a free for all. COM ON!!!! Very simple answers would have been nice. i am not sure what touched you guys off on this one.
sad.gif

Back