spring sag

thank you gentlemen. i have the damping pretty dang close front and rear. rear sag is still pretty light, especially compared to the front.

im thinking im gonna match rear to front... then ride! well, as soon as it dries up around here. :D

I don't see how proper sag can't be had with stock springs with only 17k miles and a 180lb rider???I'm 195lbs in my leathers and I have 34mm of front sag on my gen2 with stock springs, and I could have gotten more.

"34mm"

With you sitting on the bike?

cheers
ken

heya guys...

all the way tensioned my front sag is 1 7/8 inch, i loosened the rear to match, and cant wait to ride.

it feels really even when i jounce now.

heck, i was happy before i checked it! the front soft, and the rear tight! (i can almost go to a nasty thought here! LOL)

thanks for all the help, and i will revisit this thread after i get a chance to revisit ortega. :D

Yes...actually a friend who weighs the same as me in leathers(we checked on a scale)and I did the measurements.

Sounds like you are good to go then. :beerchug:

What was your unladen sag? Mine was 32mm.

cheers
ken

21.9MM Sag for me on the front.
2lwsps3.jpg

What we need is some absolute numbers to work with.

Fully extended forks: The total distance (MM) from the dust seal to the lower casting.

Free Sag: The amount of sag created by the weight of the bike without the rider.

Rider Sag (Static Sag): The amount of sag created with the rider on the seat, feet on pegs leaned forward in the riding position.

Be sure to have someone balance the bike from the rear while you take these measurements. Do not use a bike stand. Do not use a zip tie. Make sure the bike is as level as possible with both tires on the concrete. Have a third person do the measuring.

With these numbers taken properly and accurately we can most likely figure out your issues.

First thing to do is move your forks back to stock height. With the front lowered the front will always be loaded heavier.

Because the spring rate is an inherent characteristic of the spring the only way to match the spring rates is by changing springs.

The rear spring is never going to match the front springs because the front springs are linier and the rear spring is progressive.

More preload there is less distance for the fork/shock to compress and more distance for the shock/fork to extend.Decreasing the preload has the opposite effect.

You've got that one exactly bassackwards Kenny.

cheers
ken

Cheers! :beerchug:

When taking your measurements, try placing the end of your tape on the top of the lower casting and measure upwards to the point where the rubber dust seal joins the metal of the outer tube. This is the method I use and the line between the rubber seal and the outer tube gives me a very accurate measurement.

When you are taking your sag measurements have the measurer pull down on the bars to compress the forks and let them extend very slowly - take a measurement.

Then, have the measurer lift the front allowing the forks to extend and then let the bike settle very slowly - take a second measurement. I need these numbers to calculate the amount of "Stiction" inside the forks as they travel.

Get all your numbers together and post them up. I'm sure we can get you a better ride!

Oops, one more thing.

When your take your sag measurements, back your preload off all the way to the stops "Counter clockwise" before measuring.

We know we have about 10mm of preload we can use to correct the numbers so lets start with the sag backed all the way off.

I don't mean to hi-jack your post but I have a very similar problem and as I was about to post a question, I saw your post.

My problem is that I set out to set my suspension sag today and for some reason I'm way off on the fork.

I cranked the tension all the way in and I'm still left with 50mm worth of sag and 40 mm of static sag. I weigh 210 with gear on...the guy I purchased the bike from was a lot heavier than I am but I can't believe that spring wear would set in.

The bike is a 2005, bone stock except for Yoshi CF cans 10k on the odometer. I'm not interested in a track ready set-up...my style of riding is more on the aggressive sport touring side, but I still feel the front end a little weak in the knees. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: after cranking the fork pre-load all the way in, all I could get was 50 mm of rider sag. Needless to say, I'm puzzled.

This is the procedure I followed...let me know if I messed something up.

I started with the factory preset: 8 lines showing and these were the measurements going from the edge of the dust seal to the edge of the bottom casting.

free sag (no load,wheel in the air): 135mm
static sag (bike weight): 90mm
rider sag (full gear 210lbs): 80mm for a total of 55mm

then cranked the pre-load all the way in for the following measurements

free sag: 135mm
static sag: 95mm
rider sag: 85mm for a total of 50mm

The bike does feel different (better) with the 5mm difference but I'm no where near ideal. Right now I'm at 50mm of sag in the front and 45 in the rear. the guy I purchased the bike from probably outweighed me by at least 75 lbs. He had to be at least 280. Any thoughts?:banghead:

Sounds as if you did a pretty thorough job. Did you do your measurements as described above with two friends to help you? If so, then you could use heavier springs. I'm assuming your bike is a Gen I? If so, I'd probably go to 1.05 springs.

Now that you have your sag set, put a zip tie on the lower tube and ride that puppy as you normally would and see where the zip tie ends up. If it's a half inch or more above the casting you have not bottomed the forks out.

If I remember correctly your forks have around 120MM of travel. Ideally you want to use up one third of the travel in rider sag which would be 40MM or so. For everyday street riding you can live with 50MM as long as the forks aren't bottoming out on the brakes.

Your forks work best when the working area is the middle one third of the travel.

Sounds as if you did a pretty thorough job. Did you do your measurements as described above with two friends to help you? If so, then you could use heavier springs. I'm assuming your bike is a Gen I? If so, I'd probably go to 1.05 springs.

Now that you have your sag set, put a zip tie on the lower tube and ride that puppy as you normally would and see where the zip tie ends up. If it's a half inch or more above the casting you have not bottomed the forks out.

If I remember correctly your forks have around 120MM of travel. Ideally you want to use up one third of the travel in rider sag which would be 40MM or so. For everyday street riding you can live with 50MM as long as the forks aren't bottoming out on the brakes.

Your forks work best when the working area is the middle one third of the travel.

I did have help from my two sons. After cranking up the preload all the way the forks are not bottoming out but they were before the adjustment. I'm just shocked as to how softly sprung these bikes are. Thanks for the tips and advice all.

The busa is softly sprung to give you a nice cushy ride which most busa owners want.

The busa is softly sprung to give you a nice cushy ride which most busa owners want.

i think this is very true. it wasnt until i started getting a "corner" bug that i started playing with the suspension.

i wont get a chance to ride till this weekend, but after setting front and rear sag...setting front and rear damping... my bike jounces evenly. it didnt before.

i have to say that the help that i have gotten here is awesome. :beerchug:

Back