valve adjustment

dmallord

Registered
hi guys,

i am just about to turn 15k on the clock, and although i have found the thread for valve check/ adj, i am trying to hedge towards not. my bike runs great, no irregularities.

valve adj now? or in x more miles.

please advise a value for x!

thanks,
david

If it runs good, it's fine. I've seen many bikes over the years that had never had the valves checked , with alot more miles than yours, and they where fine when we did check them. A couple were out of spec, by .002, .003. We changed them, and of course you could tell no difference in the bike's performance, and non were running poorly before hand either.
I'm all for proper maintenance on bikes, but at 15k I'll bet you the dealer cost of the job that they are all fine.

If it runs good, it's fine. I've seen many bikes over the years that had never had the valves checked , with alot more miles than yours, and they where fine when we did check them. A couple were out of spec, by .002, .003. We changed them, and of course you could tell no difference in the bike's performance, and non were running poorly before hand either.
I'm all for proper maintenance on bikes, but at 15k I'll bet you the dealer cost of the job that they are all fine.

+1. I think this is solid advice, one of our more esteemed members had his engine gone through at 40,000 and the mechanics were pleased and I don't think they even had to change a shim.

Hi David,
How have you been? Long time no hear, still working down the street?
Take care,
Bubba

thanks sixpack, and thanks bubba.

i am gonna give her an oil change and general once over, and call it a day.

and yeah bubba, i am still over on kraemer. we had a change of ownership, but works work...

if the valves are out spec,will it hurt the motor? I had a mechanic tell me it will cup the valves.

Valve adjustment will vary from bike to bike. I have known Busas to go well over 50K miles before need an adjustment. I dont adjust mine until I hear them but I know what to listen for.

checking the valve clearance is pretty easy. I think 90% of the bikes I have owned and worked on never needed a shim swap, but it's so easy to do I wouldn't risk your bike being in the 10% that did. Shims are a lot cheaper than new valves and head re-working.

I'm of the mind that the engineers that built the bike must have known someting when they recommend a 15K check - so I had mine done at 15K - all were in spec as far as clearance goes, but the speed shop changed 2 shims based on balancing compression rations across cylinders - do I notice any change? no - but I trust my tuner - I'm not as brave as many, when I'm doing mach speed I don't want to be thinking about what will break because I didn't check it - but that's just me -

Thanks it was just getting hard to start at 15k miles and I was told that could be a sign the valves were out of adjustment. Thanks for all the advice.

Back