sorry to say it again but 08 plastic removal sucks

One of my friends recently bought a new 08 busa and picked up an M4 full exhaust. This guy has an unbelieveable shop, does all his own overhauls on his race bikes and well schooled with Suzuki's. He called me this morning and ask "How the hell do you get the lower fairing off this thing"? I had to snicker at him. If a man of this caliper has a problem getting the plastic off, how does Suzuki expect Joe Blow to Get-R-Done?

I agree, suzuki made it much more difficult than necessary.

as for the little front fender side wall piece that won't come off easily, I just left it on and removed it while still attached to the side fairing on the left side.... then I was able to pop it off prior to re-install.

You guys are really scaring me. I need to take my plastics off to do my HID install and stator cover and it seems like it going to turn into an all-day event!

i never figured out how the lower separated from the upper but after a lot of pushing, twisting, pulling and cussing it finally dropped off.

might want to label the push-clips and fasteners the first time and use the instructions stickied at the top of the page. you don't need to remove the bolt #5, it holds a bracket with a rubber grommet in it. just pull the lower out and the pin slips out of the grommet, just like the other two.

i lubed the pins when i reinstalled them back into the rubber grommets and it helped a lot taking them apart later.

good luck!

I've only had mine off once, getting ready for the second oil change & slider install now.  I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but DAMN--it was a little scarry.  Lots of noise, I  thought I was gonna break off every tab and fastner on the thing.  The hardest part were the hidden snaps, latches, whatever where the lower meets the upper only the right front side.  I got it off and back on, but for the life of me, I still don't know how.  What's the secret to unhooking/hooking that section.  Lift up? Pull down? Push in? Pull out? Sounds like a 30 minutle workout video!!!
we are in the same boat my friend, i could'nt of said it any better. And i did get a workout l.o.l well my blood psi anyways

Daaaarrrrrnnnn you Suzuki!!!
How is it that such a beautiful piece of art is so fraking hard to service?
rock.gif

Darn a thousand times!

Well, that settles it for me.

Looks like I'll have to neuter a couple more cats and have the dealership do all my servicing.

Dear Friends

Y'all are scaring me.

I planned to take my 'Busa to my father-in-law when it's time for another oil change. (My dealer did the 600-mile service, and I plan to change the oil and filter again at 1500 miles.) My father-in-law has a fancy shop and used to be an automotive mechanic, but he's very short tempered. I'm afraid to let him help me with my first do-it-myself oil and filter change. I'm definitely too afraid of the beast to try it myself, after all y'all have said.

What's a fellow to do? Gee, I may have to let my dealer keep on servicing the bike.

My father-in-law put the swingarm spools on the bike and tried to help me learn how to put the rear stand under it. (It's a Pit Bull forward-handle rear stand.) After watching me for a few minutes he said I'd never learn how to do that by myself, that I'm too uncoordinated to do it. I challenged him to do it and, after a few minutes of trying, he exclaimed, "I wouldn't have this damned thing! I'd take the bike and the stand back to the dealer! I wouldn't have either one of them." I thought about telling him that I think his '86 SuperGlide is a perfect waste of metal, but I refrained.

I could do the oil and filter changes on my '88 Ninja 600 and '93 Nighthawk 750 very easily. I'm afraid to try it with the 'Busa.

--Jaddie

i have removed the plastics from 3 08s then did custom paint jobs and put them back on. i say by far they are the hardest bike EVER to work on. suzuki said the there fyer that came out before the bikes did they mad it easier well that was a LIE. i love the older ones even more now. i did break off the peice thats on the back one the nose that hold the push pin for the dash plsatics on one of them. was albe to pastic weld it back on but suzuki sucks for this!!!

It is do able, but requires time and patience. Read the manual, also there is agood write up on it too.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=77;t=85931

The power point was well writen!!!!
The write up was ok (the owners manual was worse), it leaves alot to be desired though. even with ALL the fasteners removed and the 4 pins pulled out of there gromets the plastic does not simply fall off (it sucks to reinstall too). It takes pulling,& twisting and to a guy like myself who had never done it it was a real PITA!!! i'm already dreading the next oil change.

Did 2nd oil change this past weekend, only took 15 minutes to r&r the earl filter. I only loosen the lower part of the fairing now. I have a small pair of oil filter channel-locks that I use through the opening in the fairing. Then remove the filter under the loosend fairing, Worked perfectly. No more dreaded oil changes for me. I also forgot to add, I'm an ex-aircraft mech, so where there's a will there's a way.
laugh.gif

I'm sure with practice it will get better. I remember being on edge and sick to my stomach those first few times I was trying to tear down and put back together shiny new plastic fairings on my 2003 Busa...
smile.gif

Having said that, and now that the hubby and I have had the honor of tearing down an '08 Busa (hubby wrecked my uncle's Busa) I have to say I'm disappointed in some things that Suzuki did with the second generation bike. The clean lines are awesome and look better than the bolts I deal with, but over time so many of the plastic pieces holding parts together will fail. It was poor planning by Suzuki, at least in my opinion. And I am so disappointed that the potential to create a way to take off just a small part of the side fairing for oil changes was RIGHT THERE, and designers missed it. In the initial shots of the '08, I was certain that they'd gotten smart and made a much simpler way to remove just a portion of the fairing for oil changes, which so many of us do on our own. What a shock it was to see that you still have to tear the entire side of the bike off for something that takes 20 minutes to do *sigh*

As a side note, to anyone who has to replace any plastics: the nose is not one piece like the first gen bikes. You'll need to buy the nose AND two plastic pieces that surround the front blinkers. The side fairings are in two main pieces as well. Mike and I learned the hard way that you order one thing, then realize you have to go order more parts...

They still look good...just be careful with all of those plastic holds and fasteners. Here's to hoping Suzuki catches on quickly and makes changes soon to remedy this
beerchug.gif

nicely said vabusa, i'm going to find away to contact suzuki and complain, not that it will help but i am a person who likes to voice my opinion. like vabusa said the plastic pieces will fail overtime. suzuki took 9 years to come up with a new busa and this is what they came up with wtf?

nicely said vabusa, i'm going to find away to contact suzuki and complain, not that it will help but i am a person who likes to voice my opinion. like vabusa said the plastic pieces will fail overtime. suzuki took 9 years to come up with a new busa and this is what they came up with wtf?
I'm just hoping that they see for themselves (i.e. complaints from service techs working on the bikes at Suzuki dealerships) that this design isn't meant to be taken apart much. I keep thinking that by the 3rd or 4th time a dealership has someone's '08 Busa in the shop and put back together, then they notice the fairings aren't staying together along the bottom of the bike anymore and the owner's pissed, then something will change...the push pins will fail, as they do on the first gen Busas. Those are easy to replace, but the design flaws they've molded in to the plastics as "fasteners" are far from perfect and after only taking this '08 apart once, I see far more wear than I'd like to see.

Can't complain about the power and performance upgrades though
cool.gif

Back