So, Lets try this again....

I've read where it needs to be a little rough to create a bit of turbulence for the swirl effect...
yes

you´re right for all 4-takt-motors with fuel injection into the in-duct or with carbs.

the 2-takt´s like more a glass like surface - their intake ducts at best get polished like chrome for best power.

back to the busa´s head
the smoothing of the cast edges in the ducts helps a lot in the "development" of power and the throttle response.
the inlet ducts, as shown above, look good and finished in my opinion.
what now also helps to optimize the ducts is smoothing the edges of the exhaust valve seat rings in the direction of the duct (ring´s backside), the edges of which protrude into the exhaust gas flow and "disturb" the optimal gas flow.
that´s what i learned from a very godd german mechanic.

Last edited:
yes

you´re right for all 4-takt-motors with fuel injection into the in-duct or with carbs.

the 2-takt´s like more a glass like surface - their intake ducts at best get polished like chrome for best power.

back to the busa´s head
the smoothing of the cast edges in the ducts helps a lot in the "development" of power and the throttle response.
the inlet ducts, as shown above, look good and finished in my opinion.
what now also helps to optimize the ducts is smoothing the edges of the exhaust valve seat rings in the direction of the duct (ring´s backside), the edges of which protrude into the exhaust gas flow and "disturb" the optimal gas flow.
that´s what i learned from a very godd german mechanic.

I had to look up the word 'takt' and it means 'stroke' (among other things).

I rarely even thing in terms of a 2 stroke engine anymore but owned several and did many port and polish jobs myself. I had my '79 RD400 pretty much at it's maximum performance threshold...it was a great little bike-I should have kept that one.

Back