So I need a dog..

Go to www.dogbreedinfo.com.. there is a tool there that lets you input your criteria, and gives you different breeds that fit.

Then go to the local animal shelters.. you'd be amazed at how many purebred dogs there are... and puppies too.

Happy searching!
cool.gif
+1

We got our German Shepard from a rescue specific to the breed. Many states have breed specific dogs that live in foster homes so you can get an accurate idea of their tempermant and health. It is hard to go to the pound and not walk out with a dog or two... just because of the sadness factor. But if you find a rescue that only deals with specific breeds you can have an easier time picking the dog that best suits you and your family. Plus... some have training already and have been checked out by vets so that you know alot about the dog.

midnight.JPG

When I was little, my St. Bernard, Caesar, was the absolute best dog in the world...he was a svelt 225 lbs and all baby to me...BUT, he was very protective and did snap at one of my friends...oh, and my sister...
laugh.gif

I recommend the Great Dane! House dogs (oh yeah, you'll need a bigger bed for the little guy, and cover the sofa 'cause he's gonna sit on it...
laugh.gif
)

They are gentle giants and very agreeable to most anyone...we took our Danes everywhere before we had kids; helps to keep 'em friendly around strangers...people are so impressed at how gentle they are around kids, how tolerant...

I'm pretty sure the pups were plotting in this pic...
"Tonight, we eat the kid Maggie...I can't stand the way he just lays there!"
laugh.gif

The_kids.JPG

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

One more...my kids are now 3 and 5, and I have never had a single bad incident with two danes in my home...all the neighborhood kids love 'em too...

cool.gif

Sam___Maggie2.JPG

Hit the pound and give a lab mix another chance at life, man. Get a young one and train it right and he/whe will be hard to top. The lab mix that showed up at my house is making an excellent dog. I'm convinced after my last purchase of a full blooded miniature weenie dog that it's simply hit or miss these days getting a full breed dog that isn't inbred to some degree. The mini Dach was fuggin' insane! Couldn't even pet that psycho without it biting the crap out of me. I gavew it to a friend and he now refers to her as Satan.

So yeah, to avoid inbreeding and the psychological and physical problems in the "affordable" full bred dogs from questionable breeders I'd say give a mixed dog from the pound a second chance to live...
wink.gif

Boxer!! I wouldn't trade "Bubba" for any dog.

We have had 2 boxers now in the last 14 years. Gentle, loving, (he will crawl up on my wifes lap if she lets him), protective, yet not agressive towards others...he looks intimidating and is protective but as soon as one of us says "it's OK".....he'll just slobber all over you.

Does NOT bark unless there is a good reason, and is very smart.

I like labs too, just can't handle the "bull in a china shop" type mannerisms. Never seen one that I thought was all that sharp either...

anyway, my vote is BOXER!

Back