so how much did i really lower it??

justa-busa-girl

Registered
i just read something today that kinda made since, ok i put a one inch lowering block on my bike today. Its a soupy but just like a GenMar, ok it raised my bars up a inch, they work just like spacers, then i looseded the fork clamps and let them slide up that inch till they hit the top triple clamp.. ok so i thought that would be 1 inch lowered in front right?? but i read a thread that said since the forks are angled not straight up and down sliding the forks up and inch acually lowers the bike alot more than a inch?? so how much ?? kinda like lowering links are not acually an inch apart from the holes but when you instakk them they acually lower the bike an inch from hole to hole??? lol i hope this wasnt to cunfusing

Well to be honest I don't think it dropped it an inch... I could be mistaken though.

think of it in a mathematical formula.

3551,1115760237,2.jpg

C would be the length traveled B is the rake and A is the distance down...

if C = 1" then A can be NOT be 1" since it would in fact be C - B = A

If you knew the exact angle of the rake you could find the distance the bike was actually lowered. Sorry I don't know the angle but I am sure someone knows.

Of course I could be wrong... but I don't think I am..

Pretty sure someone knows for sure as math could have NOTHING to do with this.

Last edited:
You should have measured the height of the front end...'before' AND after you lowered it :whistle:

Since the forks sit at a angle...if the spacer is one
thick, then it would lower the bike a little less than
1 inch in the front.

hum, well the weird thing is it looks and feels alot lower than an inch? and the thread that i was refering to said they slid the forks up less than a inch and it lowered the bike 1 and 1/4 inches... i wish i would have measured it:banghead: it dont really matter but its just got me curious!!

hum, well the weird thing is it looks and feels alot lower than an inch? and the thread that i was refering to said they slid the forks up less than a inch and it lowered the bike 1 and 1/4 inches... i wish i would have measured it:banghead: it dont really matter but its just got me curious!!

If the thickness of the spacer is 1" and the forks sat straight up and down, then it would lower them 1" Since they are at a angle...some of that 1" is used up bringing the tire/wheel closer to the radiator.

Look at it this way. If all you did was raise the forks up thru the tree. 1.0" of tube sticking up, the the bike would actually be lowered less than one inch. Roughly a little more than 3/4"

The front of the bike will be lowered less than the amount the forks are raised in the clamps due to the fork angle, BUT, with the factory setup the forks are not adjusted all the way up so that they're topped out. I put a 3/4" Genmar on my K8 and found I could raise the forks 1" in the clamps(topped out). You've probably raised the forks 1 1/4" in the clamps with the 1" spacer but lowered the front of the bike right around an inch(without doing the trig).

Here is the Mathematical Formula to find the length it dropped.

cos A = adj/hyp

with A = 23.4(degree) rake

b = adj distance down

c = hyp 1"

working that out you would get a .92 on b(adj)

Thus working out to .92" which is almost the full 1" with the space Jefro states is free from the factory you could in fact drop it more than 1"

Well, really it's .9117" but we'll call it good at .92"

You could also say it lowered it 59/64 of an inch.

3551,1115760237,2.jpg

:rofl:, The Dreadful Pythagorean Theorem. Why can't most people understand it???

I don't think it applied in this case due to it not being a 90 degree triangle.

3551,1115760237,2.jpg

:rofl:, The Dreadful Pythagorean Theorem. Why can't most people understand it???

I don't think it applied in this case due to it not being a 90 degree triangle.

It IS a right triangle but you have to use trigonometry, not the Pythagorean Theorem, to solve the problem as the known is a side and an angle, not two sides. :whistle:

How 'bout them Spartans-Go MSU!:cheerleader:

Here is the Mathematical Formula to find the length it dropped.

cos A = adj/hyp

with A = 23.4(degree) rake

b = adj distance down

c = hyp 1"

working that out you would get a .92 on b(adj)

Thus working out to .92" which is almost the full 1" with the space Jefro states is free from the factory you could in fact drop it more than 1"

Is that french???

I get .91775 doing it the easy way with mastercam. Based on the 23.4 deg. rake angle.
Got sum good trig guys here! :beerchug:

My first guess was based on 25.5 deg. I was guessing the rake angle

Last edited:
My question is...
if the original rake was 24.12 degrees (1999-2007 spec)
what is he rake once the forks have been pulled up through.

Also, if the forks were not in contact with the top bar clamp cover from the factory, is it a good idea to allow that positioning after the addition of a riser/spacer?

:poke:

Yeah the math works, but lowering the front also puts more of the rider's weight on the front which could result in additional sag of the front suspension and it could be lower than calculated with a rider onboard. That would require readjusting preload to get back to 'just under an inch'. Assuming the preload was adjusted to allow the correct sag to begin with and not backed out all the way giving up critical suspension travel to lower the front.

My question is...
if the original rake was 24.12 degrees (1999-2007 spec)
what is he rake once the forks have been pulled up through.

Also, if the forks were not in contact with the top bar clamp cover from the factory, is it a good idea to allow that positioning after the addition of a riser/spacer?

:poke:

The rake angle does not change. The trail changes. If you changed to a bigger or smaller wheel diameter, then the rake angle will change.

Last edited:
Back