Snapped my Chain... *pics*

Cecil_Stringer

Donating Member
Registered
Pulled the bike out out of the garage for a quick north run through the twisties...
Gave it just a little bit of gas and "snap"...

Guess I won't be riding tonight...

Now... what chain and sprockets should I try...
17/43?

Damn... Was it too tight or what?
rock.gif
First one I've heard of snappin' on a bike that new. What gives?
rock.gif

rock.gif

Oh, sorry... I meant to add that I went with 17/43 on Train and was very happy with it. I done it to keep the revs up without havin' to carry so much corner speed. Worked out well for that. It could have stood just a bit lower gearing for the twisties but I didn't want to trade off too much top end or gas mileage... I think 17/43 is a good compromise. If I was haulin' it to the track or the twisties I'd have prolly tried droppin' one up front along with the 43t rear. Might be a bit much, but it would have been interesting to find out.
wink.gif

damn well good thing it didn;'t happend out on the twistes that coulda been a mess and like train said chain a bit to tight by chance mabey?
rock.gif

Pulled the bike out out of the garage for a quick north run through the twisties...
Gave it just a little bit of gas and "snap"...

Guess I won't be riding tonight...

Now... what chain and sprockets should I try...
17/43?
You do abuse that chain don't you? At least there's no lasting damage, like what I did tonight.

sad.gif

Any top of the line chain for the diffeent maufactres. You do not need the DRZ unless you are racing with more the 190hp. Look fr chain tha is 10500lbs pull and up.

Any insight on chains:

* EK 530 DRZ
* EK 530 ZVX
* DID 530 ZVM

What is the chain of choice for a Hayabusa that get's riding hard?

Where can I get the best deal?

How difficult is it to change the front sprocket?

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098292848 -->

Cecil_Stringer,

Man you are lucky! That sucker could have smacked up and taken out your cases or locked up your wheel. Good thing you came out okay!
wink.gif

As for your gear ratio, check out this page for the BUSA gear chart info.

This is how they break down:

17/44
1st = 72.9mph
2nd = 98.4
3rd = 124.9
4th = 148.3
5th = 167.8
6th = 182.7

16/40
1st = 75.4
2nd = 101.8
3rd = 129.3
4th = 153.5
5th = 173.7
6th = 189.2

Another thing not to forget is the chain adjustment when setup with different sprockets. You will have a longer wheel base with the 16/40. With the 17/44 it will be shorter and more wheelie prone. Not good for racing but if you are looking for fun on the street, this would be the ticket.

Let us know what you find out about the chain. I am curious what I need once it's time to upgrade.

Josh
cool.gif

Oh and the front sprocket it easy...just make sure you get the right socket to break it loose.

I don't remember what it is (22, 23, 26mm???)?  I just remember having to run to Sears a couple times before I got it right.

Anyone remember what it is?
rock.gif
??

<!--EDIT|Got-Busa?
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098239655 -->

With it being a '04, you could prolly get it covered under warranty and wait til you really decide what you want.

Just a thought...

Jay

17/43 will take it down about 8%. Thus, when your speedo is registering 100, you are really going 92! I run 17/43 and it makes a much better street bike. 43T in the rear will shorten up your wheelbase by about 3/8 inches. One tooth down in the front will lengthen the wheelbase about the same. One tooth down in front is equal to 2 and 1/2 teeth up in the rear. I'm thinking after that slack chain in the photos you posted, you probably adjusted her just a little too tight
blush.gif

Back