Shoei Helmets worth the money?

98vobra

Registered
Well what do you guys think? I have been looking at getting a new helmet, I like the Shoei RF-1000 Diabolic 2 a lot and it fits great but spending $450 seems like a lot. I know my head is worth it, but what do you guys think?

I like my shoei very well... BUT.... your not buying more protection.. your buying better ventilation.

i'm sure some will disagree with that... $50 dollar head for a $50 dollar helmet and all that jazz.. Thats advertising.. has nothing to do with the real world.

Truth is I have a AGV with the same snell2000 safety rating that I paid $60 for on closeout... the Shoei also has the snell2000 rating... only it costed 7 times as much.

I wear the shoei more often because it does have better ventilation.

The scary part is that motor cyclist did a report and found that a simple DOT approved helmet was actually safer in the long run than a snell2000 rating..

I'm not gonna try to explain all the details.. you'll hafta do a search for that..

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com

of course the big helmet makers all jumped up and said the tests were done wrong and all that jazz.. who knows.. I do feel that the people doing the research should know what they are doing... plus they only thing they had to gain was losing advertisers they pissed off...

the big helmet makers had alot to lose if it turned out the research was correct... alot of money from helmet sales..

I know when I buy a new helmet I won't be putting nearly as much stock in the snell rating that I used to.

I bought an RF1000 a few months ago and love it. It is comfy, vents well....worth the extra $ imo.
Check ridegear.com for prices. I got my Voltage from them for 364. shipped. It came with a Tourmaster hemet bag too. The cheapest I found.

I think they look CooL.......
I put a couple on the other day and could not find one that fit right?
rock.gif
?
Don't know why?
rock.gif
I have never found a Helmet that I could find SOMETHING!
I'm wearing a KBC Flat-Black Flip-Front Now that really Luv!

rock.gif

I bought a $129.00 Scorpion EXO-400.  The best fit, ventilation + antifog shield I ever had.  After I bought it I read about six reviews in different motorcycle magazines and they all gave it the best value for the money.  I'd buy it again.
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|motorkar
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127580525 -->

Watch for close outs. Try motox. I scored a new RF900 last year for 175.00. Really like it. Try some on it the stores so you know what size fits well. Happy hunting.

Just a note of interest on the RF-1000 for ya here... I bought an RF1000 to replace my RF900 "busa" lid when I got the black 10R. It fit great when it was new, but as the padding "broke-in" it fit looser (not too loose, just looser) and developed a pressure point on the front of my head right at my hairline. I couldn't feel this when it was new and I've tried on other new ones and can't feel this pressure point in them. It developed over time as the padding wore in and allowed the helmet to ride differently on my head. I was talking to my dealer and he said the RF1000 done him the same way when broken in. He said he went with an X11 and doesn't have that problem. I tried on his wore in X11 and it felt much better in that area. Just an FYI...

I own Arai, Shoei, Suomy, KBC, and HJC.
They all work well for diff situations.
I like my KBC & HJC because it vents best. The Arai & Shoei for fit and noise. The Suomy for fit too.
try different ones on. Then make your best decision.

Well what do you guys think? I have been looking at getting a new helmet, I like the Shoei RF-1000 Diabolic 2 a lot and it fits great but spending $450 seems like a lot. I know my head is worth it, but what do you guys think?
I just purchased the same helmet last week and LOVE it! I went to a local shop and tried them on and had to have one.. I bought mine new on e-bay $353.00 shipped. Here is the ling to the auciton maybe the seller has your size.. There is another seller on e-bay that has make me an offer.. I offered 340 and he said the least he could take is $350 shipped, but he did not have my size. I hope this helps. I would suggest trying one on, they fit great, but I went one size up from my HJC helmet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....WN%3AIT

<!--EDIT|kreator
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127609920 -->

Just a note of interest on the RF-1000 for ya here... I bought an RF1000 to replace my RF900 "busa" lid when I got the black 10R. It fit great when it was new, but as the padding "broke-in" it fit looser (not too loose, just looser) and developed a pressure point on the front of my head right at my hairline. I couldn't feel this when it was new and I've tried on other new ones and can't feel this pressure point in them. It developed over time as the padding wore in and allowed the helmet to ride differently on my head. I was talking to my dealer and he said the RF1000 done him the same way when broken in. He said he went with an X11 and doesn't have that problem. I tried on his wore in X11 and it felt much better in that area. Just an FYI...
My HJC would hurt my head right at the hairline too after riding for a couple hours. For me the Shoei does not apply any pressure at all there, so I think it will be OK. I never realised how loud my HJC was until I got the Shoei, it's so quiet and vents very well.

<!--EDIT|kreator
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127609863 -->

I bought a $129.00 Scorpion EXO-400. The best fit, ventilation + antifog shield I ever had. After I bought it I read about six reviews in different motorcycle magazines and they all gave it the best value for the money. I'd buy it again.
wink.gif
been reading alot of positives on the Scorps. too.... not sure if it's just paid advertisement...but a buddy just got one....will give some info later on.
Shoei are nice and quiet...but $$$
Ventillation can also be had from the Suomy brand....super light and strong...but a tad on the noisey side.

Also, they are lighter than most helmets. Trust me you will notice the weight difference.

I like my shoei very well... BUT.... your not buying more protection.. your buying better ventilation.

i'm sure some will disagree with that... $50 dollar head for a $50 dollar helmet and all that jazz.. Thats advertising.. has nothing to do with the real world.

Truth is I have a AGV with the same snell2000 safety rating that I paid $60 for on closeout... the Shoei also has the snell2000 rating... only it costed 7 times as much.

I wear the shoei more often because it does have better ventilation.

The scary part is that motor cyclist did a report and found that a simple DOT approved helmet was actually safer in the long run than a snell2000 rating..

I'm not gonna try to explain all the details.. you'll hafta do a search for that..

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com

of course the big helmet makers all jumped up and said the tests were done wrong and all that jazz.. who knows.. I do feel that the people doing the research should know what they are doing... plus they only thing they had to gain was losing advertisers they pissed off...

the big helmet makers had alot to lose if it turned out the research was correct... alot of money from helmet sales..

I know when I buy a new helmet I won't be putting nearly as much stock in the snell rating that I used to.
Don't buy the hype designed to sell magazines Bro. Motorcyclist's little BS article has really done a diservice to it's readers. Don't buy it. Lost advertising is nothing compared to the increased magazine sales. Seriously, it was a horribly irresponsible piece of journalism.

Quite simply Shoei, Arai, and a couple of other helmets DO WORK BETTER at keeping you alive and unhurt. They transmit less g's to the human brain and FAR SURPASS SNELL AND HORRIBLY OUTDATED DOT requirements.

SO, You get what you pay for and even AMA Crash statistics bear this out.

Not ALL marketing....

ANYHOO.

In answer to the question Shoei makes a fine lid. The new RF1000 is very nice and fits lots of folks pretty well. Arai is still at the top in terms of comfort, weight, and perfect fit, but Shoei is right there.

Rev

I've noticed different brands seem to fit a little differently, go for a quality brand but remember: The better it fits your particular head the better it will protect you.
Its all about energy transfer/absorbtion. A snug fit around all parts of your skull will function better. An ill fitting helmet can kill.

At the end of the day, hopefully it will never be put to the test.

smile.gif

Thanks for all the comments guys, I have a hjc right now and the padding is a little loose so I just bought the shoei from that E-Bay sight (thanks for the link he had one large left) I tried one on in my area and it fit well but the cheapest they would sell it was 389.95 and I got it for 359.95 shipped so I think I did ok for a good helmet.

Thanks guys great help!

Cool, glad the info helped.. You should be happy with the seller, I had my helmet within a few days well packed and I have had alot of compliments on the Diabolic.

My HJC would hurt my head right at the hairline too after riding for a couple hours. For me the Shoei does not apply any pressure at all there, so I think it will be OK. I never realised how loud my HJC was until I got the Shoei, it's so quiet and vents very well.
Yeah, the RF1000 is pretty quiet. I forgot to take my earplugs with me to pick up the 10R yesterday and was surprised at how quiet the RF1000 was even at "hard break-in" speeds with the stock windscreen on the 10. The RF900 I had would have deafened me on that ride. Besides wind noise it had a horribly loud, shrill sounding whistle at speed. My ears always rang and roared for a couple days after riding the busa with the RF900 and no plugs. That's what got me started wearing plugs on EVERY ride.
wink.gif

Don't buy the hype designed to sell magazines Bro. Motorcyclist's little BS article has really done a diservice to it's readers. Don't buy it. Lost advertising is nothing compared to the increased magazine sales. Seriously, it was a horribly irresponsible piece of journalism.

Quite simply Shoei, Arai, and a couple of other helmets DO WORK BETTER at keeping you alive and unhurt. They transmit less g's to the human brain and FAR SURPASS SNELL AND HORRIBLY OUTDATED DOT requirements.

SO, You get what you pay for and even AMA Crash statistics bear this out.

Not ALL marketing....

ANYHOO.

In answer to the question Shoei makes a fine lid. The new RF1000 is very nice and fits lots of folks pretty well. Arai is still at the top in terms of comfort, weight, and perfect fit, but Shoei is right there.

Rev
You got a line on any deals on the X11 man? I'm either getting an X11 or an Arai QII soon. Can't take this pressure point on my forehead much longer. It's very distracting...

I bought a $129.00 Scorpion EXO-400. The best fit, ventilation + antifog shield I ever had. After I bought it I read about six reviews in different motorcycle magazines and they all gave it the best value for the money. I'd buy it again.
wink.gif
been reading alot of positives on the Scorps. too.... not sure if it's just paid advertisement...but a buddy just got one....will give some info later on.
Shoei are nice and quiet...but $$$
Ventillation can also be had from the Suomy brand....super light and strong...but a tad on the noisey side.
I haven't rode with one but I compared them to the Shoei's and Arai's at my local dealer. Lower quality fit & finish (paint & trim, not head fit), head fit not as good, just didn't have the "molded" feel of a proper sized Shoei or Arai. It had a much more generic, one size fits all type of feel.

A guy I work with bought one when he bought his 600RR not long ago. He likes it but doesn't have Shoei/Arai experience to base his opinion of it on. The best thing the Scorpion lids have going for them is the fog free shield. I can't for the life of me understand why a low budget lid company can do more for this problem than Shoei, Arai, etc... Of course I haven't ridden in a Scopion and I'm basing my assumption that their anti fog shield actually works based on talking to people who have rode with them and said they don't fog.

Personally I'll spend the bucks for a Shoei or Arai instead of saving money on the cheaper ones. The fit and feel is worth the money and I'm with Rev in that I don't go for the BS article mentioned above... No way...

Back