Real quick, is the shoei rf-1000 a good helmet?

BentValve

Alive & enjoying it!
Donating Member
Registered
Well my Astral aint totally toast but lets just say its no longer my good helmet.

I am looking at getting a Shoei RF-1000 , Suzuki graphics to replace it. Sorry no shop around me has an RF-1000 so can you guys tell me about the RF-1000 right quick?

thanks

smile.gif

Love mine BV. Quiet, fit is great, vents work good... the best thing I found is that it is aerodynamic...much more so than my old helmet. No buffeting at speed..

Is it light? Tight fitting? Does it have interchangable cheek pads?

BentValve Posted on Mar. 17 2006,10:flamethrowing:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it light? [/QUOTE]

MUCH lighter than my old HJC.

Tight fitting? [/QUOTE]
It was quite tight at first...almost uncomfortable.  Now it fits perfect.

Does it have interchangable cheek pads? [/QUOTE]

Yep.

Quick change visors?[/QUOTE]

Think so...dunno for sure.  never changed it...

Tight fititng visorts? [/QUOTE]
Huh?

Visor lock down?[/QUOTE]

Visor closes all the way...if that is what you mean.  I almost never ride with it totally closed...

Washable interior? yes.

<!--EDIT|mjn
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142660589 -->

I mean does the visor have a locking position when down? Can you lock it down or at least does it have a solid close position so that if your looking around @ 145mph the visor aint gonna rip open then off.
smile.gif

My Arai has a solid close positon that you have to nudge the visor down pretty hard to engage, then it has an aditional lock on the visor. I really like this feature.

I mean does the visor have a locking position when down? Can you lock it down or at least does it have a solid close position so that if your looking around @ 145mph the visor aint gonna rip open then off.
smile.gif
There is not a specific lock..but it stays closed.  Works great.

course I've only tested it to about 165 or so...

<!--EDIT|mjn
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142661060 -->

Actually isnt that what the black tab on the left side of the helmet for? One way it nudges the screen open a bit and the other way it locks the screen. I have a rf-1000 badge and that is how it seems to work on mine. Love the helmet was debating between the suomy and the shoei, but went with the shoei because of the warranty. I had a friend who had a shoei and he had a vent crack or something and they fixed it for free and basically refurbished his helmet while they had it.

Quote (BentValve @ Mar. 17 2006,10:43)

There is not a specific lock..but it stays closed. Works great.

course I've only tested it to about 165 or so...

Hey Bent, What size ya Need? I can prolly hook you up. Holla!

I like my RF1000, I like My Arai TommyGun Better, but the Rf1000 is a fine helmet that will serve you well. Very comfy, Fairly quiet. Ventilation is pretty good too.

BV,I have 2,they are very nice lids,the fit is on par with my noggin,not too noisey,but at the same time,not too cool either.NJ.:;):

Love mine, quiet, visor is secure, great fit and good ventilation.

<!--EDIT|Fugly
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142686536 -->

Diabolic.JPG

Well my Astral aint totally toast but lets just say its no longer my good helmet.

I am looking at getting a Shoei RF-1000 , Suzuki graphics to replace it.  Sorry no shop around me has an RF-1000 so can you guys tell me about the RF-1000 right quick?

thanks

smile.gif
I would not just buy a rf1000 with out trying it on because you want one. I wanted one badly, but after repeated trips to the dealer, trying them on, switching pads, staring at it etc., the rf1000 that I loved just did not fit right, and was uncomfortable. I could not stand that helmet for even 5 min. at the dealer. I tried on a HJC CL-SP, and it was perfect,and has the same features as the shoei. I'm not trying to praise HJC, all I'm saying is buy a helmet that fits you, or your wasting your money.

I am looking at getting a Shoei RF-1000 , Suzuki graphics to replace it.  Sorry no shop around me has an RF-1000 so can you guys tell me about the RF-1000 right quick?

thanks

smile.gif
I would not just buy a rf1000 with out trying it on because you want one. I wanted one badly, but after repeated trips to the dealer, trying them on, switching pads, staring at it etc., the rf1000 that I loved just did not fit right, and was uncomfortable. I could not stand that helmet for even 5 min. at the dealer. I tried on a HJC CL-SP, and it was perfect,and has the same features as the shoei.  I'm not trying to praise HJC, all I'm saying is buy a helmet that fits you, or your wasting your money.
IT's good advice, I have an RF1000 And bought it because Shoei's just seem to fit my skull good. like the graphics also (was a bonus) it's light quick change visor. decent ventilation. BUT if it didn't fit comfortable i wouldn't have got it.

I myself have been lucky enough to have owned a few different makes of helmets.
I find the Shoei's out of them all a much better fit. Than most other helmets. I also find them to have much less wind noise.

BV
Have one, fits well and is light. But I'm coming from an Arai 20 years ago....
Quiet at most speeds. Visor seals very well, is easy to change, and do lock down.
Hope my rookie info helps!

i tried the helmet and it fits snug [real good]. it has removeable cheekpads but not the rest of the interior. you'd have to move up to the x-11 for a fully removeable interior. the rf1000 visor shuts with authority. it has some type of locking mechanism tab on the side for the shield. real nice lid. would be my choice but i ride mostly in warmer temps so went with the x-11 which vents more.

I have 2 of them--they're great helmets. They have a 3-position lever on the left: "up" keeps the shield cracked for additional air (low speeds); "middle" is the close position; "bottom" is to lock the face shield when closed. Shields are quick-change, and they just came out with a "double" shield (clear, with options for tinted inserts) that is supposed to completely eliminate fogging.

Back