Scott oil filter

I wouldn't have put it on my mx bike if it wasn't a good product. A lot of guys are using these and recommend them.

The Scotts would be nice for drag racing, but NO WAY IN HELL is it a good idea for everyday street use.
Proof?
Why, sure!

Would you be happy with a filter that filtered down to 35 microns ABS. I wouldn't. A $12.00 conventional H-D filter filters down to 10 microns. Don't take my word for it, look it up.

I ran a 124" H-D crew years ago, and used a stainless mesh filter, and I liked it for that particular application. However, that was a track bike that was backed by TORCO oil, so it wasn't my money
laugh.gif
. I was looking for quicker flow, and outside of a no-filter scenario, the stainless mesh fit the bill.

As it let larger particles through, it meant the possibility of premature component wear. That was not a factor, as the engine was rebuilt completely twice per season. Yes, we did see some spalling that might have been prevented with a more restrictive, "tighter" media filter. We also compared our wear to another couple of bikes that were total loss oilers, with no filter. Between the two, I'd take the stainless mesh.

As the 'Busa in question is probably a street bike, my opinion is to stay away from the Scott filter for street use. I would recommend a stock filter, which probably filters out particles smaller than 35 microns.

Scoot's filter would be one of the few instances where the aftermarket would be better than stock. I had one on my gsxr 100 for 3 years, used castrol synthetic and scotts filter combination, my oil would be still clear yellow after 3 trackdays. I never bought an oil filter for 3 years, did over 25 track days with it bike ran perfect, oil was clear, almost no metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug. I belive they are great.

Oh and they are about the same weight of the stock filet, but maybe a little longer so make sure they clear your headers.

Anybody know what the factory filter is rated for? I always use K&N cause its easy to get on/off but I never really looked at the ratings on the stock one and I couls not find the ratings on the K&N?

Back