Scopes

Although I've never used either of these particular scopes, I have a Vortex on one of my long range platforms (Vortex Strike Eagle 4 24x50) and it performs very well.

Vortex makes good products...after looking at both the descriptions I would say the price point would be the deciding factor.

I have holographic sights on my AR platform as I used it for tactical shoots.

Although I've never used either of these particular scopes, I have a Vortex on one of my long range platforms (Vortex Strike Eagle 4 24x50) and it performs very well.

Vortex makes good products...after looking at both the descriptions I would say the price point would be the deciding factor.

I have holographic sights on my AR platform as I used it for tactical shoots.
I switch between the holosun red dot and the scope. I really like the holographic sights and I shoot very accurately with them. Does the strike Eagle have the lighted retical?

I switch between the holosun red dot and the scope. I really like the holographic sights and I shoot very accurately with them. Does the strike Eagle have the lighted retical?
It does although I seldom use it as I find it distracting, it also has a low light capability.

For shorter shoots, I use Eotech holo sights on pretty much everything, they are OK but I find myself switching to open peep sights quite often. I can lay down a real good grouping at 100-200 meters with open sights.

I have a laser sight on my AR as well which I used in certain tactical shoots.

Your choice of anything made in Japan or the USA will suit you well. As stated above, avoid china made scopes, they tend to have poor glass and poor tracking and repeatability. I and my wife run Nightforce Comps on our F Class rifles and couldn't be happier with them. When shooting a match we may look through them for 20 minutes straight while waiting for conditions to settle, excellent glass is critical to avoid eye strain and fatigue.

Check out the Nightforce NX8, it will do everything you want and will last your lifetime.

Your choice of anything made in Japan or the USA will suit you well. As stated above, avoid china made scopes, they tend to have poor glass and poor tracking and repeatability. I and my wife run Nightforce Comps on our F Class rifles and couldn't be happier with them. When shooting a match we may look through them for 20 minutes straight while waiting for conditions to settle, excellent glass is critical to avoid eye strain and fatigue.

Check out the Nightforce NX8, it will do everything you want and will last your lifetime.
You must have some serious platforms to be using this scope....this sure isn't a weekend plinker scope.

I use a Schmidt and Bender PM2 on my serious long range rifle...although I don't shoot near enough these days...I just can't bring myself to the range to shoot paper anymore.

Last edited:
You must have some serious platforms to be using this scope....this sure isn't a weekend plinker scope.

I use a Schmidt and Bender PM2 on my serious long range rifle...although I don't shoot near enough these days...I just can't bring myself to the range to shoot paper anymore.
HI. WOW sounds like fun. I do not have a long gun,I only have 2 S&W Bodyguard 380's I shoot 3 to 5 yd's 7 yd,s and 25 yd's. I will never have to shoot anyone that far out.

I use vortex scopes on my two AR-15s. I haven't decided what I'm going to put on my AR-10. So I'm going to follow this to see what you run with. Maybe that'll influence what I put on my AR-10.

I use vortex scopes on my two AR-15s. I haven't decided what I'm going to put on my AR-10. So I'm going to follow this to see what you run with. Maybe that'll influence what I put on my AR-10.
Schmidt and Bender make a few different tactical style scopes that are used on the AR10s, we used them in Afghanistan to good effect...I can't recall which model we used though.

Decided on the Viper PST. Hoping the set it up on Sunday. I got some laser bullets to line it up on the bore. Really cool toys - hope they actually work (they are cheap, like less than 20 bucks). Instructions claim you can see the laser dot at up to 150 yds. If that's the case then you can just zero the scope to the dot. I got a 556 and 9mm so I can zero the red dot on the Glock too. They also have a 12 ga version, which I thought was very funny.

I don't anticipate ever using this gun to kill anything but targets. Anyway here are some pics so you know it really happened:

PS: Thanks for the input guys!

211126 Viper 01.jpg

211126 Viper 02.jpg

Decided on the Viper PST. Hoping the set it up on Sunday. I got some laser bullets to line it up on the bore. Really cool toys - hope they actually work (they are cheap, like less than 20 bucks). Instructions claim you can see the laser dot at up to 150 yds. If that's the case then you can just zero the scope to the dot. I got a 556 and 9mm so I can zero the red dot on the Glock too. They also have a 12 ga version, which I thought was very funny.

I don't anticipate ever using this gun to kill anything but targets. Anyway here are some pics so you know it really happened:

PS: Thanks for the input guys!

View attachment 1644028

View attachment 1644029
The laser rounds work pretty good, I use them along with one that goes in the end of the barrel and they get you close.

Well, I was very, very happy with the Viper. I had been shooting on a bipod and I think it was moving. Used sandbags today. The level seems to really make the bullet hit where the X-hair is on the target. The range master is an ex-SWAT guy and he helped me bore sight it because the laser bullets were not much good in the light at 100 yds. He got it spot on. The laser bullets are also hard to get out of the gun, especially if you forget and pull the trigger forcing the laser bullet tighter into the barrel. Anyway, these are from 100 Yds. with my Daniel Defense M4 V7:

211128 Viper - First shoot 100 yds.jpg

I don't know why I shoot so much better on the right-hand targets than the left. I shot left to right though so could be just getting used to the new scope.

Well, I was very, very happy with the Viper. I had been shooting on a bipod and I think it was moving. Used sandbags today. The level seems to really make the bullet hit where the X-hair is on the target. The range master is an ex-SWAT guy and he helped me bore sight it because the laser bullets were not much good in the light at 100 yds. He got it spot on. The laser bullets are also hard to get out of the gun, especially if you forget and pull the trigger forcing the laser bullet tighter into the barrel. Anyway, these are from 100 Yds. with my Daniel Defense M4 V7:

View attachment 1644072

I don't know why I shoot so much better on the right-hand targets than the left. I shot left to right though so could be just getting used to the new scope.
Were you using a shot gun? :lol::poke:

It won't take long to get used to the optics...

I forgot but was going to say to use the laser bullets in a low light condition as they are next to impossible to see in daylight...

Can I ask why 100yrds? Is this just a paper puncher or do you plan on using this as a defense firearm? I ask because I have the same rifle and have used a 50/200yrds zero and anywhere in between I’m still making good kill shots with a 3-5” spread from inside 50 to 300yrds using a human torso for reference.
A 36-300 is also a good way to go.

Can I ask why 100yrds? Is this just a paper puncher or do you plan on using this as a defense firearm? I ask because I have the same rifle and have used a 50/200yrds zero and anywhere in between I’m still making good kill shots with a 3-5” spread from inside 50 to 300yrds using a human torso for reference.
A 36-300 is also a good way to go.
Unless things really fall apart I don't see using the AR in an actual situation so yeah, it's basically a paper puncher. My Beretta shotgun is for home defense. I'm also not a hunter, but I suppose if it came to that I would do it with the AR.

At 50 yds I'm inside the 2" bullseye square every time. Even zeroed for 100 yds at 50 it pretty much hits whatever you have the x-hairs on. This was from 100 yds and the range has a 300 yd area too but I didn't shoot that yesterday.

Most people at this range are using long rifles on the 50-300 yd ranges and taking a lot of time on every shot, haha. I really like shooting the AR though. Even with just the red dot and 3x magnifier, I can do as well as I did on the left - so I'm satisfied with that. Certainly not an expert shooter but I can generally hit what I'm shooting at and I'm comfortable around the weapons.

I'm happy with my hardware so now it's just getting to be a better shooter technically.

Were you using a shot gun? :lol::poke:

It won't take long to get used to the optics...

I forgot but was going to say to use the laser bullets in a low light condition as they are next to impossible to see in daylight...
Yeah, the optics on the Viper are definitely better than the diamondback. It's like an HD movie! I was having trouble with the lighted reticle controls too. With all of the info in the passive retical it can be confusing so I like the light making the center quick to locate. Guess that's a consequence of learning on a red dot!

BTW: was going to ride the Bust today but the battery was dead so I hooked up the charger. Started her up tonight before putting her away - all good. Going to keep her on the trickle now that chances to ride are more sporadic.

Yeah, the optics on the Viper are definitely better than the diamondback. It's like an HD movie! I was having trouble with the lighted reticle controls too. With all of the info in the passive retical it can be confusing so I like the light making the center quick to locate. Guess that's a consequence of learning on a red dot!

BTW: was going to ride the Bust today but the battery was dead so I hooked up the charger. Started her up tonight before putting her away - all good. Going to keep her on the trickle now that chances to ride are more sporadic.
My 'ol yellow and black beastie is long since started it's winter hibernation.....it's a whole 20'F out there today...no snow......yet....

Our local gun club shuts down for the winter too as they have no indoor ranges...I'm not a real big fan of shooting in the snow although I've done lots of it....

I remember a few times on military ranges with us awaiting the wind/snow gusts to subside so we could see our targets...and learning to squeeze the trigger between chattering teeth.....my shooting prowess sure did drop in the winter...

In the high arctic we'd have to use the same weapon lubrication technique as the desert....I have actually seen a rifle freeze to the point it would no longer shoot.

Back