Scopes

In all seriousness. I had a good day on the 50 yd this summer with my uncles model 52 / .22. Same scope. Put five in one. Pretty happy about that.

BC9C86DA-44C9-4410-B11D-546BE8FD8721-M.jpg

A758DB97-EC02-4FA4-9A45-50B3AEABC43C-M.jpg

In all seriousness. I had a good day on the 50 yd this summer with my uncles model 52 / .22. Same scope. Put five in one. Pretty happy about that.

View attachment 1644106

View attachment 1644107
Now THAT's a whole lot of scope for that rifle and only 50 yrds....I don't even consider a scope until I start shooting over 300 meters, iron sights work good up to then....

I do 600 yards iron sights with my Bushmaster
Scope don't need no stinking scope........I do need the Bullseye to be 3 feet in diameter tho
Before the days of optics our service rifles (FN C1A1) had no optics, just iron sights and we would shoot out to 600 meters as part of our shooting program.

Shooters are spoiled with all the available optics these days. I steered away from them as when you are in contact, people often get optic tunnel vision sometimes losing approaching targets-I found this when working with conventional troops mostly.

Before the days of optics our service rifles (FN C1A1) had no optics, just iron sights and we would shoot out to 600 meters as part of our shooting program.

Shooters are spoiled with all the available optics these days. I steered away from them as when you are in contact, people often get optic tunnel vision sometimes losing approaching targets-I found this when working with conventional troops mostly.
The tunnel vision thing is why I really like red dots (holographic). You don't even need to close one eye. What I like about the technology is the same as with a bike. I don't ride every day and train like a pro, so I need help. I shot my first ever round from an AR less than a year ago. I learned from some friendly advice and a lot of YouTubing, But now I can hit a 2" target at 100 yds. all day long. I'll take that.

The tunnel vision thing is why I really like red dots (holographic). You don't even need to close one eye. What I like about the technology is the same as with a bike. I don't ride every day and train like a pro, so I need help. I shot my first ever round from an AR less than a year ago. I learned from some friendly advice and a lot of YouTubing, But now I can hit a 2" target at 100 yds. all day long. I'll take that.
We had optics on our weapons-mostly for night vision, I found the holo sights are not readily visible in all light conditions and changing batteries was a pain in the arse, that's why in a combat setting most of my team used iron sights. Now I have them on everything as I'm a fair weather shooter now.

I have a scope and laser designator on my modified SKS....it's a fair shooter, I only got it because it was free and came with 5000 rounds of ammo...

...and wow, your first round through an AR less than a year ago....I think I put my first round through an M--16 (AR) in '83 or so (training with the US military). The Canadian military didn't adopt them until '85 and hen only in small numbers, it wasn't fully adopted until the early '90s. I don't know how many rounds I have through that platform probably somewhere in the 100s of thousands of rounds or so...

We had optics on our weapons-mostly for night vision, I found the holo sights are not readily visible in all light conditions and changing batteries was a pain in the arse, that's why in a combat setting most of my team used iron sights. Now I have them on everything as I'm a fair weather shooter now.

I have a scope and laser designator on my modified SKS....it's a fair shooter, I only got it because it was free and came with 5000 rounds of ammo...

...and wow, your first round through an AR less than a year ago....I think I put my first round through an M--16 (AR) in '83 or so (training with the US military). The Canadian military didn't adopt them until '85 and hen only in small numbers, it wasn't fully adopted until the early '90s. I don't know how many rounds I have through that platform probably somewhere in the 100s of thousands of rounds or so...
I started with an EOTech holographic sight. They are very good and the red dot doesn't disappear like many setups. Looking through it was natural and it was co-witnessed so if no dot you could just shoot the iron sights. Then I tried the Holosun on my shotgun and realized wow this is a really better mousetrap! It has solar panels and 50K hours of battery life so you change it every 2 years or so. It also has a motion sensor and it just comes on automatically. Lift the gun into shooting position and it's on and ready to rock. It's also co-witnessed too although I needed silencer sights on the Glock to be able to see them through the glass. As for the sight, it is close to the EOTech, but the EoTech is better. Still, the Holosun is my choice right now.

Also, both the EOTech and Holosun offer versions that work with night vision.

If you aren't John Wick (or Canadian spec ops, haha), this is the ticket. You do have to zero the red dot but do that and it hits what the dot is on. Try this: Make sure your gun is unloaded. Set your alarm for 3:00 AM. As soon as it goes off (the alarm), grab your gun and try to aim with iron sights through sleepy, runny eyes. Then try it with the red dot.

I started with an EOTech holographic sight. They are very good and the red dot doesn't disappear like many setups. Looking through it was natural and it was co-witnessed so if no dot you could just shoot the iron sights. Then I tried the Holosun on my shotgun and realized wow this is a really better mousetrap! It has solar panels and 50K hours of battery life so you change it every 2 years or so. It also has a motion sensor and it just comes on automatically. Lift the gun into shooting position and it's on and ready to rock. It's also co-witnessed too although I needed silencer sights on the Glock to be able to see them through the glass. As for the sight, it is close to the EOTech, but the EoTech is better. Still, the Holosun is my choice right now.

Also, both the EOTech and Holosun offer versions that work with night vision.

If you aren't John Wick (or Canadian spec ops, haha), this is the ticket. You do have to zero the red dot but do that and it hits what the dot is on. Try this: Make sure your gun is unloaded. Set your alarm for 3:00 AM. As soon as it goes off (the alarm), grab your gun and try to aim with iron sights through sleepy, runny eyes. Then try it with the red dot.
I've never used Holosun but have several EOTech units....now that we have over 1500 banned weapon platforms (AR family is most of them), my AR will most likely never see the light of day again...

As for needing to go 'weapons hot' at 0300, those days are long gone for me....but in my day, I was able to go from a sound sleep into target acquisition and engagement pretty quickly without holographic sights and have sadly had to put this into practice on several occasions.

I can see the attraction of such a system though and if I was in a position where it mattered, I'd be definitely considering this.

Here in Canada we have VERY strict weapon control measures, weapons have to be locked up separately from the ammo so if someone broke in, I'm better off to dispatch them by hand as by the time I get my gun cabinet and ammo box unlocked it would be too late.

I run the viper pst 1-8 on mine. It works great. I tried the holographic route but I have
an astigmatism and they were always blurry even with contacts in our glasses on.

I got to try a holographic on a pistol at a shop. Super cool.

I forget what model vortex I have on mine but I seem to recall it’s a 5x50? Dunno, I’m medicated atm and it hasn’t been out for a min or three. I’m using this on my ar with a 20in match barrel, nickel boron bolt, binary trigger. Most of my shooting is between 600-1000 yards with 77gr imi ammo. I had the Daniel ddm4v7 as well. Nice rifle.

All the long range guys I know look down on Vortex products. I have little experience in glass as prefer open sights.
I would make sure the model you are looking @ is Japanese or USA made and not China .
you know I think I have a vortex red dot. its a 2 moe and I like it. battery lasts forever. that said the red dot light is a bit distorted. but for the money I thought it was good.

I was thinking of getting a scope at some point when I get done with my m5 .308 build. gonna be a while though

Anybody ever play with the old stuff like Uberti? Or a forward mount Scout scope?
My dad (now older brother) had a 1860's cap and ball Colt...we'd shoot it from time to time, it wasn't accurate but sure made you feel like Wyatt Earp.....He had a few old muzzle loaders...one was a .54cal Hawkins and I can't remember what the other ones were-one was a .50cal and the other was a weird caliber (British).

I've shot lots of antique war weapons, everything from an early 1900's Webley pistol to an 1800's muzzle loaded cannon....and almost everything in between...Mausers, Walthers, Springfields, Lee Enfields, BSAs, Dragonovs, AKs, Uzis, various Colts, Tommy guns, Vickers MGs, M-60s, Browning MGs, TOW missiles, RPGs, Carl Gustavs, M-109 SPG (155mm), Leopard and M1 tanks, Bradley's and Stryker 20 mm, 105mm artillery, etc, etc....the list is long and probably boring to many....

Shooting stuff used to be sort of a passion of mine...if I got the chance, I'd shoot anything I could get my hands on....

Now, I could honestly care less if I ever go shooting...I take my guns out from time to time to clean them and put them away again...

Back