Hayabusa Owners Group

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rotors dragging on pads

bquinn

Donating Member
Registered
How in the world do you keep the front brake pads from constantly dragging on the rotors? Mine is so bad the front tire won't turn a revolution if you try and spin it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
beerchug.gif

pads may need to be seated or broke in......If you can, try to ride it at slow speed and engage the front brake.

DD

Have you just preformed any service on your brakes?

r8

I am taking for granted that you just replaced the pads......

Give us more info.

DD

try changing brake fluid,your calipers might be sticking not letting pads return.

New Pads? A bike with a few miles, new pads won't return far enough into caliper! Crap behind it? Or fluid not returning to reservoir. Don't rid it that way! A serious stoppy may accure!!!
bump.gif

Here is another one for you Check your Rear Brake lever and make sure it is not depressed a little bit causeing the caliper to close.

I usually leave the caliper mounts lose.... I then apply the front brakes and while applied with a lot of pressure, I tighten down the caliper mounts..

this is the primary reason "radial" mounts are preferred..

they center the caliper much better relative to pads and pistons. This removes much of the "free play" associated with the lever as it must first center the caliper/pads before it can apply pressure to the pads.

Oh to have radial mounted calipers
smile.gif
cars get around this issue by having full floating calipers.. surprised bikes never did this..

I usually leave the caliper mounts lose....  I then apply the front brakes and while applied with a lot of pressure, I tighten down the caliper mounts..

they center the caliper much better relative to pads and pistons. This removes much of the "free play" associated with the lever as it must first center the caliper/pads before it can apply pressure to the pads.

smile.gif
 cars get around this issue by having full floating calipers.. surprised bikes never did this..
Yes, what he said! +1

I usually leave the caliper mounts lose....  I then apply the front brakes and while applied with a lot of pressure, I tighten down the caliper mounts..

smile.gif
Hydraulic action centers pads on the rotor.

My buddy's 916 had fully floating rotors, they would move very loosely when touched at rest.

Radial calipers don't "center the caliper" any better except under load; they resist deflection under load better and keep the pads more square with the rotor (which doesn't necessarily provide better braking, but does provide more even pad wear), but only under load. That has nothing to do with the brake pads dragging with no brake input.

The problems with bquinn's brakes is that piston or pistons are sticking and/or the rotors are warped out of spec.

Blue1

Oops, my mistake, you said floating calipers not floating rotors...
shutup.gif

I stand by the other comments.

Blue1

I had the same problem he had, you could feel it drag the bike to a stop without tugging on the brakes... That is when I cut the bolts loose, clamped down on the brakes and then re-torqued the bolts..

too much fluid in the reservior, sticky caliper pistons, plugged return bleed hole in the master cyinder

How in the world do you keep the front brake pads from constantly dragging on the rotors?  Mine is so bad the front tire won't turn a revolution if you try and spin it.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated  
beerchug.gif
Well maybe not to far from normal! I would say mine won't either!
Watch the center and then try it again!
78969877cp.gif

smile.gif
Hydraulic action centers pads on the rotor.  

My buddy's 916 had fully floating rotors, they would move very loosely when touched at rest.

Radial calipers don't "center the caliper" any better except under load; they resist deflection under load better and keep the pads more square with the rotor (which doesn't necessarily provide better braking, but does provide more even pad wear), but only under load.  That has nothing to do with the brake pads dragging with no brake input.

The problems with bquinn's brakes is that piston or pistons are sticking and/or the rotors are warped out of spec.

Blue1
+1 there on radial mounted caliper. Oh the 08 is so much better!
rock.gif
But with a warped rotor, this would push the pad / puck's in and have no brakes upon initial application, like the effect a tank slapper would. About all won't rotate a full turn unless you really try. If the rotor is discolored there is a problem. Or he can feel the bike slow from what it was doing.
deadhorse.gif

He should be able to tell if the rotor is warped... wheel turns easy/locks up/turns easy or like you said you can feel the thing trying to turn into a tank slapper when you apply the brakes (not a good feeling)

Sorry for the late reply. Rotors are true. Pads are not new. I will pull the calipers apart and clean them up really good to make sure the pistons aren't sticking, then I'll try the tightening procedure mentioned. It's not like they are dragging dangerously bad, in fact just about every bike I've had in the past would drag a bit, but these are just too much to ignore.

thanks for the input!

beerchug.gif

Top Bottom