New brakes, new question.

04HappyBus

Registered
I have upgraded to Braking Wave rotors and DP HH+ brake pads on the big girl. Took her for a test ride today (about 20-30 miles of mixed freeway, city and county roads) when I got back the front left rotor was very hot compared to the right one. Put the bike up on stands the front wheel spins but only does about one complete rotation. Everything was cool again in 3-5 minutes after parking. Pulled the left caliper everything is freely moving in there. Put it all back together and still have some drag. Anybody else experience something like this?

Everything felt fine out on the road. Brakes were firm with no fade, didn't feel any drag going 70+ down the freeway.

Lightly bleed both calipers. If you have the stock lines on there, you may be applying pressure to the left caliper first.

Use some brake cleaner and make sure both rotors are clean. Take her out to a desserted road and seat the brakes in...work it up gradually like 30-0, 40-0, 50-0, and so on using medium pressure on the brake lever. I like to put 50-100 miles on a new set of brakes before I start gettin' on them hard.

OK, went for a short ride. Bled the calipers, fluid wasn't burnt. Went out again a few times, did some bed-in brake runs. Took a few commutes to work on it. There is still a temp difference but everything seems to be settling in correctly. Only the disc surface seems hot, the caliper bodies, etc. don't give off excessive heat even after long rides.

Also, I've ridden in temps from the low 40s to low 70s within the past week, there doesn't seem to be a dramatic increase in rotor heat on warmer days.

All it takes now is a light squeeze of the lever to stop, hard. A riding associate said maybe I'm being too soft on the lever squeeze and since the line is a single hose from the master cylinder to the right, then left caliper, the left caliper might "bite" before the right and therefore run hotter. I kinda shrugged that one off since I don't feel a tug to one side when on the brakes.

Had a similar problem with my '03.  Found out from a friend who races, that the factory Tokico's have a tendency to "drag" on the rotors and will eventually WARP them!  That's what happened to mine.  It started to get quite noticeable just as warranty was running out.  Mentioned it to the dealer and was told that they are "consumeable" and won't be warrantied..
wow.gif
  So I need to replace my rotors but won't do it until I have rebuilt the calipers.  Order caliper seal rebuild kits and have them done if you don't know how.  Will save having to replace those $$$$$$  WAVE rotors when they warp!

Breaking is one thing about this bike that Im not too impressed about....
Suzuki made such a beautiful piece of machinery, call the Hayabusa, and then ended up fugging the brakes. I think the engineer who worked on the braking part was heavy on LSD or some $hit like that
tounge.gif

Problem solved!

One of the pads in the left rotor (which was getting hot) was not sliding freely on closer inspection.  Took out the pads, lightly sanded the edges with a Scotchbrite pad.  Pressed all the caliper pistons back a little bit after cleaning them.  Reinstalled everything, pumped up the brakes, went for a ride.

Awesome power, no fade... and no excessive heat!  Everything worked smoothly, no excess heat buildup, even on a warm (70 degree) day.  Rotors were slightly (and equally) warm after a good run with some hard stops to test everything out.

Sweet...

And the Wave rotors.  What a nice addition.  I popped for the rotors with the carbon fiber carriers.  Really notice a difference in the turn-in and overall feel compared to the stock setup.  A little weight loss is a good thing it seems.

<!--EDIT|04HappyBus
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113438587 -->

Back