front brake question

glenn60

Registered
I was wondering how much is normal for the front brake pads to drag on the rotors when the brakes are"nt applied. Im getting a little noise from the front my pads are about 70% left and the noise goes away when the brakes are applied. when the front wheel is off the ground it doesnt spin freely, the pads definatly contact the rotors. the bike is an 05 with 11k miles. thanks

Mine drag like that too.
As long as it is free enough that no heat will build up when driving, then you shouldn't have a problem.
If they are too tight and you ride, they can overheat and cause the front to seize and that is an endo.

Mine do contact the rotors, but very lightly.
If your wheel stops spinning immediatly, or you have to force it to turn, you probably have a sticking calliper.

I rode over 100 miles yesterday never smelled any brakes just the little chirping was getting annoying I didn't notice before I had my new tires put on

Personally I would take the pads off and clean the calipers really well then put the pads back. No need to take a risk for something that's pretty easily cleaned. I'm not sure what you mean by "chirping"? Are you talking about the breaks squeaking when you apply them? Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to check your front wheel bearing as well.

Call me over over cautious, but if anything even remotely seems unusual I tear that part down and check it carefully, especially on the front wheel. Something goes bad in the front when going down the road and it ain't going to be pretty. :rulez:

the sound was a little chirping or squeek when free wheeling and would stop as soon as i hit the front brake. I just had new tires put on last week so I would hope they at least looked at the bearings, I know he looked at the pads which I knew were fine. how long do the stock bearings last she only has 11k on her. How would you clean the calipers exactly?

5yrs @ 11,000 miles = 183.3 miles a month.

Say we never changed the brake fluid. Say this crystal forms under the quad-seal and jams the caliper barrel from pulling back square, being there is gunk under the rubber seal.

Since water is heaver than oil, you bubble the oil and in that bubble is water. So you boil the water. It turns to vapor drop. Sinks to the bottom and can displace the oil under the quad seal.

The quad has to square back into that machined cutout. With the white powder still in the groove, you keep cleaning that hardened residue out of the groove so the quad seal can wrinkle forward and press the pad on the disc. Then you release the pressure behind the piston, the quad seal goes back to memory along with the oil working the opposite direction adding the piston to move away from the pad so it does not squeak like it is doing now.

So the question is... Have you ever changed the brake fluid more than once every 2 years, we check the service history for brake checking the squeak to set in. That is my guess we neglect to change the brake fluid and now it needs a cleaning.

OK, say we replaced a tire and the brake is dragging we have the wheel out of line so the forks are binding. No? I didn't think so, because you did not mention anything about changing a tire say a few years back, things are out of line, right? Therefore, I am again thinking; dirty caliper machined groove contamination brings on the squeak.

You make sure they installed the front wheel correctly is to check the arrow direction on the mag wheel.
The axle will torque to one side of the fork, so you tighten to spec that fork to axle to correct wheel rotation.
You now have a floating fork to tighten. Pump the brakes up and release. This planted the loose fork in a static position to torque to spec.
You follow this sequence, you should have a free wheeling spin better than what you are dragging with now.

And did we ever replace the brake fluid(?) so you know if the bike still drags down the road, you know what to look for if the wheel turns free and all that. There are a few more variables to drag the wheel down and those are the bearings.
So, now with those few miles on the bearings, I doubt they are loose. But you hold the tire at 12 and 6 0'clock, then push/pull the bottom and top to see if there is any play. There should be no movement at all. She click-clacks back and forth, then yeah, bearings are loose.

I just took the bike around the neighborhood slow to check it out, it does'nt squeak at first then after a couple miles it started to and if you hit the brakes hard it stops so I definatly think it's the pads dragging. I just bought the bike so I don't know when the fluid was changed but it's very clean in the window. guess I'll have to check the wheel it did'nt do it before the tire change and the bearings seem fine.

is it possible to check the alignment and torque on the fork legs with a cradle type front stand or do I need a fork pin or triple tree stand?

Check your rotors for run out too! Could be slightly warpped! Mine drag too after hard brake use.... then go away as they are light pushed back in from the rotors spinning when not in use. Also clean the rotor surface too... may have some build up of brake pad material.. Brake cleaner on a rag and see what comes off. Also as mentioned before too... clean the calipers and pistons really good too! Good soap and water.... simple green and a plastic tooth brush... then blow dry with some air.

The front wheel should spin freely up on a stand but you should be able to hear a slight contact. If they're dragging and the wheel instantly comes to a stop then you've got a sticking caliper issue.

Ian
RedlineStands.com

Go for a 5 minute spin, and try not to use the front brakes. When you come back feel the rotors. If they are really hot then it's either the wheel alignment or the brakes are sticking.

ok took a 2 mile ride did not touch the front brake when i got back the left front rotor was warm bout the same as the rear brake the right front was almost to hot to hold on to so do you guys think the caliper is sticking or the alignment since the other rotor was pretty warm too??

think I may have found the problem the guy who put my tires on put the wheel on backwards

Doubtful that the wheel being backwards would cause a problem with the brake calipers. Sounds like that right one is sticking.

When you turn the wheel around, is your tire going to be backwards then?

tire was mounted correct but the wheel was on backwards just got back from the shop everything is fine now wheel isnt dragging anymore

Back