Rolling start quesiton

What gear were the bikes in @ 40mph. Roll on could be first or 2nd?

Did first and second gear runs with same results. From first mine would pull the front end and carry about a 6 inch power wheelie up to about 75 or so before going into second at redline, his being lowered 3 inches, he was able to keep the front end down. It didn't matter though as we still held neck and neck through both gears so in my mind that eliminates shifting technique as there was no loss or gain going from first to second.

I've convinced myself it is most likely a combination of weight difference and 3rd gear mapping.

This also poses another question. :whistle:

Would a TRE make any difference? Anyone running one have any opinions as to whether or not they add any performance to the bike? I've been looking at adding one of the Gear Based Controllers with TRE from Smithabusa. I'm wanting the gear indicator but figure might as well get it with a TRE while I'm at it.

Thoughts anyone?

Most drag race guys will tell you to throw the tre away if you have one. All it does is make your ecu think your in 5th gear therefore you'll be running the 5th gear map but since you have a pc that doesnt matter so the only reason to have the tre is to eliminate the 186mph limiter.

Could be as simple as the tires gripping. Any diffeence in wear or size.

Tire size and wear is comparable. He's still running the factory Bridgestone and I've got a Shinko 09 on mine both factory sizes. Both have considerable wear on them. I've ran mine all summer and just milking it along trying to get through the riding season so I start on fresh rubber next year.

Most drag race guys will tell you to throw the tre away if you have one. All it does is make your ecu think your in 5th gear therefore you'll be running the 5th gear map but since you have a pc that doesnt matter so the only reason to have the tre is to eliminate the 186mph limiter.

I've never heard it put that way and that clarifies quite a bit for me. Thanks for the explaination

go check out the NOS threads.. A nicely concealed system will have him posting his own " wtf is going on thread" lol

Almost as bad as going to see the Doc. Doc has been telling me to lose a few lbs, now I'm disappointed he didn't tell me to do it to go faster or I would've listened a little more :laugh:

Makes good sense to me and I figured it has some effect just wasn't sure how much or if there was another underlying cause. Probably a combination if the truth were known, between that and map, etc. etc.

:rofl: I started losing weight ONLY because my buddy is able to pull me in the higher gears because of our weight difference as well !!! Pretty sad when you will only lose weight because you get beat on your bike !!! :rofl: :beerchug:

So he is lowered 3 inches? Take him out to your favorite twisties and open up a can of "WhoopAss" on him! :cheerleader:

Your buddy's bike obviously just pulls a tad harder than yours. Not uncommon at all.

I had two 07 GSXR1000's. The second one with the same set up as the first one just pulled harder.

Oh, you are sooo hooked on speed now. Next year you have to try the track for a few runs! It is worth it just to see the dedicated drag racers run. Nobody cares if you are slow though. It is all just for fun on Friday nights. Bring your cousin with you & run with him. I got a kick out of the guy who lost weight just to improve his times! :thumbsup: :rofl:

Oh, you are sooo hooked on speed now. Next year you have to try the track for a few runs! It is worth it just to see the dedicated drag racers run. Nobody cares if you are slow though. It is all just for fun on Friday nights. Bring your cousin with you & run with him. I got a kick out of the guy who lost weight just to improve his times! :thumbsup: :rofl:

yep, no doubt about it. We had a blast doing it regardless of the outcome. Good day all around actually. Now if I can just get him to see the light on gear and why to wear it.

As for the weight. I've been looking for the right thing to motivate me to thin down a bit, this be what it takes :whistle::whistle:

yep, no doubt about it. We had a blast doing it regardless of the outcome. Good day all around actually. Now if I can just get him to see the light on gear and why to wear it.

As for the weight. I've been looking for the right thing to motivate me to thin down a bit, this be what it takes :whistle::whistle:

whatever it takes:thumbsup:

I did try to make myself feel better today, tried to talk a trooper I know who does motorcycle patrol into a short sprint, he graciously declined :laugh:

Some bikes just run stronger than others. You can take a half dozen bikes off the shelf and you'll usually find one that just runs stronger than the others. Your 50 pounds of extra weight don't help you any either.

Try swaping bikes and see if your buddy can still out pull you? Then you'll know if it's you are the bike?

exactly, swap bikes. If he still pulls you, drop the 50.
If you have 50 to drop
If you pull him, keep his bike, he can't catch you

Last edited:
well you know the 50# HAS to come into play. The only question is why not in 1st or 2nd. My theory would be 50# in that torque range isn't enough to see yet.

I agree with the 50# but....you also have to factor in the way you tucked inside "the bubble." Get that helmet chinbar ON THE GASTANK, keep elbows in tightly inwards towards the tank as possible and try again. I guarantee if you work with the Busa's aeros, you'll see and feel a DRAMATIC difference. Keep in mind, this race tuck is very difficult for a lot of big guys. My suggestion is to practice this, while the bike is parked, preferably on rearstands (but best with a baxley chock). slide your butt as far back to the hump, align your spine horizontally with the contours of the bike, helmet chin bar on tank, look through windscreen, and tuck in your elbows as best as you can. It does take a little getting used to, but it really works wonders once you find that "sweet spot."

I agree with the 50# but....you also have to factor in the way you tucked inside "the bubble." Get that helmet chinbar ON THE GASTANK, keep elbows in tightly inwards towards the tank as possible and try again. I guarantee if you work with the Busa's aeros, you'll see and feel a DRAMATIC difference. Keep in mind, this race tuck is very difficult for a lot of big guys. My suggestion is to practice this, while the bike is parked, preferably on rearstands (but best with a baxley chock). slide your butt as far back to the hump, align your spine horizontally with the contours of the bike, helmet chin bar on tank, look through windscreen, and tuck in your elbows as best as you can. It does take a little getting used to, but it really works wonders once you find that "sweet spot."

That is good advice.

Back