Rider tossed under a simi truck!

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
A couple days ago on Interstate 5 near mile post 85 here in Washington, a motorcyclist was killed after being run over by a simi tractor/trailer truck. This happened only a couple of miles from our shop.

From eye witnesses it appears the rider (A 52 year old man from California riding a harley) was traveling north bound in the fast lane of a two lane section on I-5 when he over took slowing or stopped traffic. He applied brakes on both ends and locked the rear wheel. The rear of the bike stepped out and caught traction which in turn gave the bike a violent high side tossing the rider head first underneath a simi which was along side him in the slow lane. His body was tossed underneath the trailer between the rear tractor wheels and the trailer wheels. The trailer wheels ran over the rider and he was pronounce dead at the scene. The simi driver had no idea he ran over the rider and had to be stopped by the state patrol to tell him what had happened. Bet the truck driver is still not sleeping well?

I know this has been hounded on before and debated among many on whether or not to use the rear brakes and or how to use them. Many argued they use the rear brake all the time and have never had a problem. Others (Especially Racers) argued if you don't know how to back your bike into corners by use of the rear brake you shouldn't use them at all. I hope I don't stir up a debate over this issue.

I myself had this same senerio happen to me less the simi truck and as a result, I no longer use the rear brake at all. Always ride with my toe on the peg so I'm not tempted to apply the rear brake at the wrong time.

I was on a Hayabusa riding my favorite twisty road when found myself approching a hard turn realizing I was a bit to fast. I set down hard on the front brake and gently applied the rear. The rear immediately locked up stepping the rear of the bike out to the right. I instantly let go of the rear brake but did not release the front brake. Bad Mistake! I was launched like a rocket ship into the air and accross the oncoming lane. It happened in the blink of an eye and I found myself tumbling down the pavement at 80 mph. If there had been an oncoming car, I would be just as dead as the Poor Unfortunate Harley Rider. I was fortunate, the only thing I lost was a Hayabusa about three months old that I hauled home in pieces and got the crap beat out of me on the pavement. Six weeks later I was healed up and normal again.

I only mention this to make unsuspecting riders aware of the pitfalls that can be created by using the rear brake while hard on the front brake. Highsides are a result of the rear of the bike steping out of alignment with the front. There are only two ways that I know of for this to happen. One is to spin the rear causing loss of traction or locking the rear tire causing the bike to step out. You be the judge

I am not suggesting anyone not use the rear brake. I'm only pointing out a pitfall in doing so. If you make a habbit of using the rear brake don't be surprised if you are eventually bitten by the "High Side" snake.

One other thing I may mention to any non believers. When attending Mike Sullivan's Race School, the one thing Mike hounded on was to stay off the rear brake. Mike says use of the rear brake is the number one cause of crashes for first time track users.

Rear brake is definitely something tha tyou have to be careful with. In the wrong situations it can get pretty dicey!

it' hard to keep mentally computing how much weight is on which tire-it's especially not easy at speed-is a simi like a semi?

In my MFC class, they said once you lock the rear keep it locked till you come to a complete stop.

Not sure how pratical that would be in a real life situation, such as if you have traffic behind you and so on...

I think it's not even debatable. Rear brake does absolutely nothing for emergency braking, or for any kind of agressive braking. No wonder it's being stressed out every time during track days - stay away from the rear brake! The only exception is being on the grass or gravel.

Every time a rider is using the rear brake for regular braking, he/she only strengthens the bad habit. So, in case of emergency... you can guess which brake will be used.

The only exception is being on the grass or gravel[/QUOTE]
I have to agree on this.
I seldom use it,but for straight line everyday use,I will say I apply both brakes,but in corners,wet roads,or emergency braking,no way....

Hmm, very interesting... Why does the MSF course teach you to use both breaks, and their emergency stopping examination has you use both breaks to pass the test
rock.gif
Race school teaches the opposite?

Too much rear brake while downshifting to make a turn will cause it to lock up... so new busa owners know. This happens to me all the time if I'm not careful. I have a habit of using the rear brake, so I need to ease out of that habit!

I would bet the HD rider let go of the brake once he felt it stepping out, causing the highside.

This is for sportbikes, cruisers are different.
For the most optimum braking the rear brake should be used initally, then slowly released as the bike's weight is transfered to the front.  But only racers have the skills needed if the rear steps out(backing it in).  Street riders should consider the safety risks over such a small benefit.

The problem with this is the rear brake is not very effective at all.  Because in less than a second, all the bike's weight is transferred to the front.  Since it has a very marginal benefit, I think its negatives far out weigh the small benefit.

The negative, if it starts to slip out and the rider releases the brake, the bike will highside.

Racers look for every edge, while street riders look more for safety.

I don't use the rear brake.  And before I ever started using it in emergency situations, I would learn the skills of controlling a locked up rear.

If you ever happen to lock the rear in panic braking, my advice is to keep it locked up and look at the horizon until your stopped.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154297258 -->

Using the rear brake is not hard and really lets you set up the bike going into turns and is a definate help in an emergency stop ! But like most extreme things, you should practice it at a track day, or in a big empty parking lot. Knowing your bike and how it handles is always the best way to ride. But like most people, they just think, A Motorcycle, Heck Yea I can ride it with NO PROBLEMS ! When in reality they have NO CLUE
sad.gif

Hmmm, I'm liking this input, and I want to learn more / change my techniques if they are not sound... I know i HAVE locked up the rear before in panic breaking, I think that I jammed in my clutch and let the rear and front break off both at the same time and slowly... got it to wobble for a bit then it was all good
rock.gif
What are you supposed to do (other than keep on the rear break till stopped) How do the pro's deal with the situation?

If your stopping and lock up the rear brake, the best method is KEEP IT LOCKED until you stop. You can modulate the front brake but Keep the Bike straight ! If you try to turn with a locked rear, your going down - PERIOD !! And if your turning and let off the brake, when the rear tire regains traction the dynamic forces in the frame are going to make (or attempt to) you do the infamous HIGH SIDE ! NOT GOOD
sad.gif
. I'am not saying you can't but unless you have alot of experience with it - YOUR GOING DOWN !! As in Flying, it's ALWAYS better to crash (if you have to) under control than out of control
wink.gif

I would toss the bike, in the situation like that...some says let the tires drag instead plastics...but in this case, I will let go the bike...its too close to think anything...
rock.gif

man, there was a similar situation here in WI last week-a HD rider on I-94 I think, was traveling in fast lane. got cut off by a car and hit the rear of the vehicle (supposedly on purpose-onlookers reported Road Rage...dunno any biker mad enuf to hit someone with their own bike???
rock.gif
) when he hit the rear, flew off bike...into oncoming traffic-and a semi. You know what happened next. Take it easy out there folks.

I was told that is the parking brake, you know like when you're stopped for a light on a hill?
tounge.gif

Seriously folks, anyone have any hard numbers showing stopping distance comparison with and without rear brake?

I agree: don't PRACTICE using the rear break at all because then you will during a crisis.

I am sure stopping distance IS better using the rear along with the front, but at what price? Geting used to using and locking up during a crisis. No thanks. I'll just learn to use my front more, please. All I use is the front

MSF teaches you to use the rear break because you are expected to ride calmly and smoothly all the time. In teh REAL world, many sportbikers do NOT ride like that. Thus, different techniques should be used. MSF does not teach high end experience riding like how to carve canyons, speed on trackdays, or how to stop very quickly and safely while speeding in traffic. Maybe they should ;)

I've always used my back brake w/ my front brake with all bikes I've owned.Regular stops and emergency stops.It is more like a tap tap tap used in conjunction with your front brake,not a slam.But if most of you guys already don't use your back brake it does'nt make sense to start using them now. It is just how I learned.And I'm sure track day is different I've never been.But I do ride in all conditions because I too live in Washington State and I yearround.

I'm happy to see I'm not the only guy who pretends the back brake doesn't exist. There would probably be a lot less crashes if bikes didn't come with a rear brake pedal. It is however, required here in the USA in order to sell a bike. Actually Aprilia is the only manufacturer I know of that puts a rear brake on their bikes that is so weak you couldn't skid the tire if you stood up on the pedal. They ententionally design their bikes so they are hard to highside by brake use. Those Italians may be onto something?

IMO it's never usefull for a street rider to make a habit of using the rear brake. Most racers don't use the rear brake. Only the most talented ones use it to intentionally skid the rear to the outside of the turn when entering a corner. I doubt seriously if you would find a single racer that uses that technique that did not crash a few times learning how? I know I'd bust my butt trying that manuver.

Back