1 more time

Front brake 99% of the time....just sometimes coming to a stop sign or red light going at a mellow speed..rear. at the track [no] ...just very hard front and gently release going in to the apex... Mik doohan had a rear brake lever on the left handle bar....as he and very few others could use it too slide the rear to come around enough to finish the turn [if they came in too hot] rear steer.... not me though..good thread !!

I always use the rear brake. They say once you lock the rear up do not let the brake go due to the fact that if the rear tire slides out to the side and you release the brake the wheels will be in diff tracks and could cause a tank slapper. I practice just using the rear to stop trying to find just enough pressure to slow the bike before sliding the tire.

I usually use both in town but just set my foot on the rear, Just the slightest amount of rear brake.

I will tell you this, after my Eureka drop which broke off the rear brake pedal I rode the next few days without one, didnt miss it much but when you go to push the pedal and its not there it a little un-nerving :whistle:

depends on the situation i guess. normal every day straight up riding, i use both,when hitting the twisties only the front, wet conditions i'm extra cautious and try to use downshifting more than my brakes when time permits.

when braking, i almost always use my rear brakes. somehow.. my rear pads wore out quicker than my front pads did.. ended up getting several thousand miles more out of the stock front pads, than i did the stock rear pads.???

i use both...but always concentrate on grabbing the front more...and letting the rear pull me to a stop

Like I said, I don't use the rear in the twisty's. I just figure the risk is greater than the reward.

Front brake almost always, rear brake and front when coming to complete stop and a little rear on trail braking. Had to train myself to use front, now it is second nature.

when braking, i almost always use my rear brakes. somehow.. my rear pads wore out quicker than my front pads did.. ended up getting several thousand miles more out of the stock front pads, than i did the stock rear pads.???

I never thought I used the rear brake that much at first, until my rear pads went so fast. Some guy at the shop told me about that being dangerous, that's when I stopped using them unless it's coming to a stop.

Ok here is my take on the whole rear brake thing. In a straight line, Yes I use rear brake ....some to help settle the chasis. I use more of it on the busa then my 1k. (especially riding 2 up!) I also use the rear brake for parking lot maneuvers. Other then that... when I am performance riding the answer is no rear brake. I do practice like you mention in a parking with both and with out both. I have heard of other people taking the time to help reduce power on the rear brake to help prevent lock up, and to help slide the bike around with more control at the track!

How often should you change the brake fluid ?

Once a year if street riding.... Every time you go to the track..... depending how hard you are on the brakes... I have even had to swap fluid out due to me finding out that the high temp fluid I was using wasnt good enough. Had to up grade to a higher boiling temperature.

This subject has been beat to death in the past and it doesn't surprise me that not many has paid attention.

Those of you who make a habbit of using the rear brake do so because you have yet to master the front brake and look at these things called brake levers as something from another planet.

There is definately a time and place where the rear brake comes in handy. Clean dry pavement is not one of them!

70 to 75 % of your stopping ability is the front brake. The only time the I've gotten in trouble using the front brake is while turning and I hit a patch of sand. The front wheel slid out a bit. Thought I was going down. I just released the front brake and stood the bike back up.

I love locking up my rears coming up to a red light...but only for fun and some fishtailing.

If I REALLY need to stop I use both, and if im just easing to a stop I use front.

LOL... Tuf you beat me to it. I was scrolling through, and saw your post.

Well, on my 2001 bike I still have my original stock rear pads. I press the lever once on every ride to scrub any possible rust on the rear disc and to make sure the rear brake works.

If I need to brake in the gravel (Pocono track with the shiitty gravel pit area they give us), playing with the rear is fun. Or holding your bike on the incline if you are at a light. Or, if you need to slowly ride down the incline with gravel/sand on the road. Or if you went into the grass on a track day and need to gradually slow down. These kind of situations.

Other cases involving normal/aggressive riding, the rear is useless. The rear is even more useless in the wet as it will lock up much easier. The main problem in using the rear is that the quicker you need to slow down, the more useless the rear becomes. So those riders who use the rear to gradually slow down develop a habit of using the rear. So, that one time when you need to slow down quickly, out of habit, those riders will be using the rear - with predictable consequences.

I also feel that engine braking slows the bike better than using the rear brake, and without the risk of locking up the rear. For example, you need to take an entrance ramp which is a downhill decreasing radius 180 deg turn with some questionable stuff on the road. Just downshift and go through. If you need to slow down, just roll the throttle off a bit.

There are advanced uses of the rear brake in racing, but we are not talking about this. And those are meant to save you 0.1 sec here and there - not something anyone would care for street riding.

Now would be a good time to discuss what is the right way to brake hard using the front only - if anyone wants to know...

Last edited:
I always use my rear.. with everyday driving..
I locked up both front and rear last sep 4th when i crashed.. ill attach a pic of the marks.. I don't know how i kept the bike upright

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

It should be just the opposite of that, You should have to replace front pads at least a couple of times before you replace rear ones.

Back