REDLINE @ 194 INDICATED

OB_Dirty Pete

Registered
Put in my 16 tooth front then rode 120 miles on country roads this afternoon.

The bike runs right up to 310 kph @ 10,500 rpm, or 193.75 mph indicated (this probably translates to 175 real world mph), with NO struggling for the last 10 miles per hour at all. I mean it seems to be there in an instant.

I credit this partially to the minor mods I've made that produce a very ordinary 160.2 RWHP, but MUCH more to the 16 tooth front.

This sprocket is not just for drag racers. It TRANSFORMS the bike on the street. I'd sure recommend it to anyone who doesn't need to go 195 on a regular basis.

Sunstar part # 51116.

$25. 40 minutes to install. No chain lengthening or cutting. Makes your speedo 2% happier than stock.

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 27 September 1999).]

Dirty Pete --

Two questions:

Is this one or two teeth different from stock?

Not being an every-day wrencher, could you describe (in broad terms) what the steps are in making this change?

-- Falconer

One tooth under stock.

Have to run to a Harley guys party.

Love Harley guys but not their agricultural bikes.

Will write step-by-steps for you tomorrow.

GSX1300rguy; Not that I can notice, but I'll keep an eye on it. I can't imagine that the 16 tooth lowers the chain height enough to make any significant difference.

Falconer: If you decide to do it, I'll write you a step-by-step. It's not a big deal though. Broad strokes; you need a rear stand, some Lok-Tite and a torque wrench. No puller necessary. You take the side fairing off, loosen the rear wheel and slip the chain to the side, take side stand off, then it's dead straight forward.

Lemmo know if you want every step written out or, better yet, I'll fax you the pages from the Service Manual.

OK, I admit it, I was lazy, I hadn't looked in the service manual. I'll check it out in there, I assumed (obviously incorrectly )that this was too lowly an operation to be covered in there.

I'm curious why you say that this change "Makes your speedo 2% happier than stock."

The difference between 17 and 16 is more like 6%.

-- Falconer

Yep, changing final gearing ratio will do that for you.
I went for a 44 instead of 40 teeth rear sprocket (would be like 15.45 teeth front), which makes my speedo even more optimistic and probably changes topspeed to only a mere 175-180 mph on the rev-limiter ... but the way it gets there makes it all worth it!
My stock chain was in need of its first adjustment when I did this change and I must confess that I should have gone for 43 as now the chain was a bit tight and the adjusters are *ALL* the way forward.
Did this mod around 2K miles, have now done around 5K miles and chain still hasn't stretched after that change of rear sprocket (hope it's not the bearing behind the front sprocket that's giving-in). 8-(

ANIMAL: I wouldn't worry; it appears that the stock chain just STOPS STRETCHING at about 2,000 miles.

Several members, including myself, observed this freaky phenom a few days ago...I can't remember the name of the thread and I can't find it on a quick search...but it happens!

I've had virtually zero stretch in the past 6,000 miles.

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 27 September 1999).]

Hey dirtypete, I've had mine to 325km/h and still wasn't at redline. I could probably get it up to 340km/h but I had a passenger when I did the 325!!!

Strange that yours topped out at 310km/h.

Not that strange Guido. He effectively changed the ratio in each gear by reducing the teeth on the sprocket.

I'm guessing the acceleration increased a fair amount? (most people aren't going to need 320kmh top speed)

Theoretically you can increase the top speed by increasing the teeth I suppose?

Falconer, the bosses for the speedo reader on the SunStar sprocket are different from stock, and they compensate in the right direction so you get a 2% error and not a 5.88% error. I confirmed this prior to installing the 16 tooth by running beside another member, Malcolm, who has a 16 tooth. With my 17 tooth stock sprocket in, my speedo read 100 kph while his read 102. Hence I offer the 2% figure to you as real-world for our two Busas.

Guido, Sorehead is right. I could have gone a little faster though because I stopped accelerating at 10,500 RPM. That's my personal redline. I don't take it above 10,500 RPM ever because power production drops off after 10,200 RPM. So I guess I would have gone another 10 kph if I'd stayed pinned for another second.

Putting on a smaller front or larger rear sprocket is a deliberate trade: top speed for acceleration.

Hey Pete..just bought the SunStar pt # 51116.Are you having any problems with your sprocket? I talked to the salesmen when I bought the part and he said it`s not the right one and Specialty Spockets said their not getting them anymore because of breakage???????????Take this in context because the salesmen just repeated what the distributor said...this is also the guy that said BMC doesn`t make an airfilter for the Busa

Scary...but no problems after 2,000 hard miles. Another Busa guy I sometimes ride with who has a lot more miles on his 51116 sprocket AND who drags all the time has had no problems at all either.

You're right. Some sales people know their stuff, others are dangerous.

GSX1300guy, you better find a new parts guy.
No actually you will find information on this site for your bike that the parts books do not reflect. I have a BMC in my bike, Yosh or Factory are the US distributors. Your parts guy wiil have to get them from those two places.

Yoshimura now sells direct, but only off the net-no phone orders. Factory will take your money anyway you want.

Just oil it up like a K&N and let it dry overnight. K&N spray oil is the easiest way to oil it. For that matter I just bought a can you are welcome to use it.

yea , that allen keeper is a real pain in the a** to get off without a driver. i had a heck of a time. i didnt have to remove my sidestand though. i dont own a service manual , just kinda did it . is the service manual available through my dealer? i would like to have one for this winters project"complete teardown".
the 16 tooth is a real improvment. makes quick even quicker ! my mez3race comp. is wasted after only 800 miles though. i blame the sprocket !!!!!!

GSX1300Guy you will have to settle for being the nut behind the wheel, cause Dirty Pete is all ready the nut behind the Bar's.

Sorry Pete, just couldn't resist that easy one. :)

by putting the 16 tooth front spocket on make the bike in firsts gear to wheel prond when in first gear with stock sprocket it will stay down in first when you lean on tank.

Back