Reclaim America

I like the site, I dont recall seeing the post previously. Here are a few of my thoughts.....

Q: Take the country back from who?

A: Apathy, laziness, ignorance,(they are the real enemies). My son will be taught there are children in China, India, etc, that desperately want his job.

Q: Is memorizing the words to the National Anthem and Pledge of Allegiance important?

A: No, not if they are only words, regurgitated day after day without deep understanding. I believe memorizing the "concept" behind the constitution is FAR more important, it is my contract with the state. When the "State" looks to "work around" our contract, this is when I contact my elected officials.

Q: Does your child know the sacrifices that others made in wars?

A: Mine will when he is old enough, One Grandpa served in WWII, One in Korea. With typically only 50% turning out to vote, Do many really care about the "sacrifices"?

We can stroke each others ego's all day long, that will do NOTHING to change the situation. The website says you can do these (4) things to help.

1. Register and Vote
2. Volunteer in your community
3. Talk back to your elected officials
4. Learn about your freedoms

Actions speak louder than words, How many do you participate in? Obviously the general public has a low participation rate in all 4.

Sorry no warm fuzzies from me, only bad tasting medicine that is good for all of us. There is nothing of my political ideologies mentioned here. My apologies if too direct, but this thread is too near and dear to my heart to simply "rubber stamp" it with:

Great Words :thumbsup:

Apathy, laziness, ignorance,(they are the real enemies). My son will be taught there are children in China, India, etc, that desperately want his job.

ABSOLUTELY

I think there are two messages here....

1. Civic Duty..... To your point, Vote, Volunteer and become involved.

2. "Take the country back from who?" Those very leaders that have forgotten what our country is about, many reside in Washington. Take it back from the average American that is Apathetic, lazy and ignorant, maybe this is a wake up call to help educate our neighbors too. You can try to tell me that the government is doing a great job but I believe that our officials have become so disconnected that they can't make good decisions and really just have no idea what the American people are going through. How do we fix it? We get the American people involved in all those things you mentioned above. We start in our own households and make sure our kids know what is expected of them and how they can help to improve their country. I didn't really expect this to be a warm fuzzy but it is refreshing to see that others see the need for a change too..

ABSOLUTELY

I think there are two messages here....

1. Civic Duty..... To your point, Vote, Volunteer and become involved.

2. "Take the country back from who?" Those very leaders that have forgotten what our country is about, many reside in Washington. Take it back from the average American that is Apathetic, lazy and ignorant, maybe this is a wake up call to help educate our neighbors too. You can try to tell me that the government is doing a great job but I believe that our officials have become so disconnected that they can't make good decisions and really just have no idea what the American people are going through. How do we fix it? We get the American people involved in all those things you mentioned above. We start in our own households and make sure our kids know what is expected of them and how they can help to improve their country. I didn't really expect this to be a warm fuzzy but it is refreshing to see that others see the need for a change too..

Amen Brother!

I like the site, I dont recall seeing the post previously. Here are a few of my thoughts.....

Q: Take the country back from who?

A: Apathy, laziness, ignorance,(they are the real enemies). My son will be taught there are children in China, India, etc, that desperately want his job.

Q: Is memorizing the words to the National Anthem and Pledge of Allegiance important?

A: No, not if they are only words, regurgitated day after day without deep understanding. I believe memorizing the "concept" behind the constitution is FAR more important, it is my contract with the state. When the "State" looks to "work around" our contract, this is when I contact my elected officials.

Q: Does your child know the sacrifices that others made in wars?

A: Mine will when he is old enough, One Grandpa served in WWII, One in Korea. With typically only 50% turning out to vote, Do many really care about the "sacrifices"?

We can stroke each others ego's all day long, that will do NOTHING to change the situation. The website says you can do these (4) things to help.

1. Register and Vote
2. Volunteer in your community
3. Talk back to your elected officials
4. Learn about your freedoms

Actions speak louder than words, How many do you participate in? Obviously the general public has a low participation rate in all 4.

Sorry no warm fuzzies from me, only bad tasting medicine that is good for all of us. There is nothing of my political ideologies mentioned here. My apologies if too direct, but this thread is too near and dear to my heart to simply "rubber stamp" it with:
Great Words :thumbsup:

Amen Brother!

I'm confused....so do you like it or not? ???

I'm confused....so do you like it or not? ???

Yes! I do like it very much, but if we are to complain about things, we need to put forth effort to change them, specifically, the four things mentioned. A percentage of the enemy, may be ourselves.

Better to light a candle, than to curse the dark:beerchug:

Yes! I do like it very much, but if we are to complain about things, we need to put forth effort to change them, specifically, the four things mentioned. A percentage of the enemy, may be ourselves.

Better to light a candle, than to curse the dark:beerchug:

Awww....I see what you were trying to say now. Sorry...it's late here & I'm a 'lil punchy.

Yep....getting up off the couch and doing something about it takes much greater discipline as opposed to just yappin' and complaining.
Gotta tell you though...once you make that commitment, for me the feeling of volunteering is irreplaceable. :thumbsup:

Awww....I see what you were trying to say now. Sorry...it's late here & I'm a 'lil punchy.

Yep....getting up off the couch and doing something about it takes much greater discipline as opposed to just yappin' and complaining.
Gotta tell you though...once you make that commitment, for me the feeling of volunteering is irreplaceable. :thumbsup:

It's all good:thumbsup:

well i dont have kids but if i do they will know this stuff.

george carlin has a funny bit about removing hats during the national anthem. he asks why hats? and not shoes or shirts or whatever. what is so bad or offensive about a hat?

well i dont have kids but if i do they will know this stuff.

george carlin has a funny bit about removing hats during the national anthem. he asks why hats? and not shoes or shirts or whatever. what is so bad or offensive about a hat?

Here is what I found....

It's a matter of history..
The "tipping" or removal of a hat is said to have originated from the same place as the military salute. Knights would lift the visor (face guard) on their helm, showing their face as a sign of respect and their empty hand as an indication they meant no harm. This tradition evolved into the modern military salute. Similarly, the removal of a helm (helmet) or other headgear indoors and as a sign of respect or reverence is said to have originated before the Dark Ages. This tradition was carried on throughout the centuries by men of arms (soldiers) and nobility, as well as their staff, servants and slaves. After the Dark Ages, manners and etiquette grew to become an essential part of everyday life and the conventions of hat etiquette became ingrained in civilized culture.

It's a matter of culture..
Up until the late 1940's and early 1950's, hats were worn by gentlemen, particularly outdoors. It was considered "bad manners" for a gentleman or a lady to be seen outdoors without proper headgear. Pompador hair styles and popular icon of the time, such as Tony Curtis and Elvis Presley had a significant impact on the decline of hat wearing in the US. President Kennedy was the first U.S. President to be seen outdoors without a hat and from the 1960's on, the use of hats declined considerably. According to the Essential Handbook of Victorian Etiquette there are many accepted traditions concerning proper rituals that should be adhered to by gentlemen while wearing a hat. In the 1800's, hat etiquette was strictly followed and thus became second nature to gentlemen in Victorian times. Being that the frequent (or nearly constant) wearing of hats is a tradition of a by-gone era, it is important that those choosing to reenact that era be particularly aware of the proper rules of conduct that should be demonstrated by the wearer.

It is a sad truth that there are very few people that know of any of those things Cap! I have actually had kids argue with me about having to stop and do the pledge of allegiance, the national anthem, or even taking their hat off during either of these.

Back