Rearview Monitors in Mirrors

Thinker62

Donating Member
Registered
Anyone successfully fnish the mod where they have a rearview camera with the image displayed via monitors mounted in the mirrors?

If so, any pictures and/or instructions?

they seem to fall short in direct sunlight and resolution even when it is clear.. nice gimmic but not very practical

Thats too bad. I heard they have some displays with very high NITs or whatever they use to measure brightness. I would still like to see some set-ups if anyone has done it.

Thinker - call Tim Ennis at http://www.themotocam.com/. The last time I saw a bike with this set up at Laguna, he was the one that helped build it. Can be done. :thumbsup: There were two bullet cams molded into the rear tail piece, and the MotoCam screens replacing the glass.

Dude also had a stereo poppin' out of the tank, and speakers built into the hump. :bowdown: It's a bright orange TL & been written up in mags. (unfortunately, shot pics of it, and don't have 'em on me, sorry)

Keep us posted.

Last edited:
it can be done theres pics on here of a bike with it, like mr. b said they will not do too good in direct sunlight, its a easy mod if you know how to get into the mirrors.

Thinker - call Tim Ennis at TheMotoCam.com - Experience Extreme Recording - Home. The last time I saw a bike with this set up at Laguna, he was the one that helped build it. Can be done. :thumbsup: There were two bullet cams molded into the rear tail piece, and the MotoCam screens replacing the glass.

Dude also had a stereo poppin' out of the tank, and speakers built into the hump. :bowdown: It's a bright orange TL & been written up in mags. (unfortunately, shot pics of it, and don't have 'em on me, sorry)

Keep us posted.

I will check with him thanks. I'm pretty sure I have seen that bike, but thought it had a huge single monitor on the front of the tank.

The stereo thing is sort of old to me. I did that years ago, and was the first I ever heard of who did it well (sub) integrated into the Busa Cowl. But I quickly learned that if I wanted to keep up with the Jones, I would have to keep adding to it, and there was very significant weight to those big speakers. I also learned that you have to really be on top of the battery and power issues that come with a powerful stereo....and of course that meant even more weight.

I'm looking for some new James Bondish things to do now. If I do these monitors, maybe I will put a night vision camera on the front. That would be impressive huh?

they seem to fall short in direct sunlight and resolution even when it is clear.. nice gimmic but not very practical

The technology is out there to have a display that works. There are displays with very bright outputs and antiglare surfaces. A little bit of a glare shield also helps. I speak from my experience as a product manager for hand held infrared camers used by firefighters.

heat the mirrors in your oven (research koji mod on Subaru board if you want info on how to) and then use a thin blade to pop the glass out

Contact your local mirror/glass suppliers prior to removing the silver film. Ask if they have security film for making regular glass into a one way mirror.

The backing peals off and can be cleaned up with anything from lacquer thinner or any of the tons of adhesive removers. BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO SCRATCH THE GLASS OR BREAK IT!!!!

I use a black vinyl behind the security film to max the background darkness and cut the film around the screen. (note there should be no black film in front of the screen only around it.)

The rest is merely mounting the screen as close to the glass as possible and drilling holes.

I did a few of these a few years back using replacement flat one way glass...never investigated using the stock glass until Brendamp told me to check out the stock glass....its curved.

Where there is a problem, there is a solution. I have done three sets like this...not hard. Very time consuming. My turbo gix will probably get a set when I get back into messing with it again.

Thinker - call Tim Ennis at TheMotoCam.com - Experience Extreme Recording - Home. The last time I saw a bike with this set up at Laguna, he was the one that helped build it. Can be done. :thumbsup: There were two bullet cams molded into the rear tail piece, and the MotoCam screens replacing the glass.

Keep us posted.

looks like the one i see at walmart..had it in my truck but got pinched :banghead:

heat the mirrors in your oven (research koji mod on Subaru board if you want info on how to) and then use a thin blade to pop the glass out

Contact your local mirror/glass suppliers prior to removing the silver film. Ask if they have security film for making regular glass into a one way mirror.

The backing peals off and can be cleaned up with anything from lacquer thinner or any of the tons of adhesive removers. BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO SCRATCH THE GLASS OR BREAK IT!!!!

I use a black vinyl behind the security film to max the background darkness and cut the film around the screen. (note there should be no black film in front of the screen only around it.)

The rest is merely mounting the screen as close to the glass as possible and drilling holes.

I did a few of these a few years back using replacement flat one way glass...never investigated using the stock glass until Brendamp told me to check out the stock glass....its curved.

Where there is a problem, there is a solution. I have done three sets like this...not hard. Very time consuming. My turbo gix will probably get a set when I get back into messing with it again.

Dang....No pictures? No information on what monitor is a good fit for mirrors?

Dang....No pictures? No information on what monitor is a good fit for mirrors?

whine whine whine...I swear you chicks are all the same :poke::poke::rofl:

I use lillyput cheapo ebay units. I'll have to check on the size...2.5" I think fits if you remove the housing. Haven't messed with them in awhile. I am mad at bikes at the moment.???

As for the anti glare and all the stuff you said before...good luck. If all goes well I plan to graph some 05 1k signals into some busa mirrors, adds some signals and leds plus a monitor per mirror.

Alternative is using the ready pour acrylic mix(to make a lens)....once again...a fun process I hope to never do again.

whine whine whine...I swear you chicks are all the same :poke::poke::rofl:

:bowdown: My bad.
I did a few of these a few years back using replacement flat one way glass...I have done three sets like this...
After doing multiple sets, I guess I just assumed there would be pictures of the set-up. Sorry if we chicks ask for too much, but I did ask for pictures in my original post. :moon: But thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Getting into the mirrors is no problem! :thumbsup:

true if you know what your doing otherwise you will have a broken glass, then you need to beadblast the mirror with some fine grit to keep it shiny and not gritty.
i learned this from taking apart about 50 sets of these things.

:bowdown: My bad.
After doing multiple sets, I guess I just assumed there would be pictures of the set-up. Sorry if we chicks ask for too much, but I did ask for pictures in my original post. :moon: But thanks for the info.

it was a joke...geesh.

no I don't photograph too many projects. I figure if someone is paying for me to build something for them, it should be kept secret...if they feel its hard enough to not venture themselves, I don't want to burst their bubble.

I personally think that making the mount for the monitor is the hardest part. but I have heard guys just filling the mirror with silicone to hold a screen....sounds heavy to me...but an option I guess.

Back