Rant!

pack mule

formerly known as rtgt
Registered
Just need to let off a little steam. I found out today that management wants to cut the hourly paid employees pay and benefits by 40%!!! I would go back to what the pay was in the late 80's. I started there over 15 years ago and was making more then. How can you justify taking that much from someone and not touching your own pay and benefits? I wouldn't have a problem if it was company wide, say 15%, but just whacking the workers is so wrong. I'm hoping that the UAW can help us out. The plant has been unionized for 6 years, so I'm hoping for 1 more contract brfore they move to Mexico. I realize that we are a little over paid but 40% is insane. Just needed to get it off my chest. I can't survive with that kind of pay cut and my wife still out of work.

Are they cutting management compensation packages at the same rate? I'm guessing not....
Sorry to hear of this crappy turn of events. It's unfortunately not uncommon these days.

I truly do feel sorry for your loss of wages... really i do, no sarcasm implied, etc etc etc... anyone getting their pay cut hurts not only at home, but in our country in general....

but the UAW kinda had it coming..... they had been digging their own grave for some time...

as to fairness, i can not comment as i only have general concepts of what the average UAW worker earns, and has for bennies..

in either case, best of luck to ya...

Dude, that sucks big time. Its hard trying to figure out how to make ends meet when this happens. When the good paying jobs are attacked and deminished, the rest of the countrys pay followes right along with it.

I'd say good luck and wish you the best, but words can never fill the void of trying to pay the bills.

if you don't mind my asking, what do you do, and how much do you make doing it?

Had my pay dropped twice already...I guess at least I still have a job. ???

Went from Salary and bonus to flat hourly and only when we work...plant shuts
down for a week (which it did for about 7 weeks last year, and last week as
a matter of fact) I get nothing (unemployement, $275 in Fl).

Then they hit my pay $7 an hour drop...I lose $280 a week or $1120 a month
LESS on a 4 payweek month IF we work all 4 weeks.

So I feel your pain...your not alone.

In process of looking for part time, I gotta make up some of the difference...
the numbers aren't working for me.

I'm hoping for 1 more contract before they move to Mexico.
:rofl:

:poke: No unions in Mexico or keep heading south? And how about your war toys? You going to outsource that too is the enemy is building your duds is just one more year is about all you greedmongers have. Union?

Union workers unite? Sounds like a commie con bla bla bla is rant over?

:moon: <<< Take the Cut or here comes that bullet that works is thank for buying non union.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I am in somewhat of the same situation. I have been out of work for almost 2 months and have been living on my savings. I do have an interview tomorrow and with some luck I get the job. Hope to hear things turn out better for you.

lost my job, joined the army. imho, the uaw has been setting itself up for years. the super high costs to manufacture vehicles in the us (in union plants) have crippled the american auto industry.

Ross Perot was right..
Giant sucking sound....sound of jobs getting sucked out of this country.

Sorry to hear about your luck.
Sucks when the rich continue to take away from the poor doesnt it ?

Man its tough everywere whirlpool cloosed here or went 2 mexico we lost 1,000 jobs
Now i see another factory on my gas route closeing plasce that makes boxes.THere goes 100 more jobs.And 1 less fork lift cylinder custamer.

I don't usually get into threads like this, but here are my thoughts and always have been for much longer than this "recession" has been going on.

One mistake everyone makes is this: They cut pay, they don't pay to begin with, etc. but people still work for them like a drove of ants. Listen, if I am mr. greedy bossman and I think up "Hmmm, I am going to cut their pay 40% and reap the rewards and they will take it". Guess what? He will and you continue to take it.

As long as people will bend over and take it in the ass like that, they will continue to do it. We have a minimum wage for a reason, because if we didn't people would work for .05 cents an hour!!!!

Everyone has to come to the conclusion that "I am worth more than 10 dollars an hour" and stick to it, almost like a USA union. I can hear it now, you say, "well if we do that then all the jobs will go overseas!". Aren't they already?

Do you ever talk to anyone in the US anymore about anything? NOT. Go buy a new computer and for the hell of it, call their tech support. I guarantee you will not hear and American.

So the moral of the first point is, stop working for pennies on the dollar and that will stop.

The second part is kind of what I am into at the minute. I make good money, but I worked my ass off in experience and college to get here. I work for a company that can hire 3 executives, but we can't afford any support personnel for our IT department :banghead::lol:

So in turn, I get to put in 14-16 hour days and as I type this I think I am so tired I am going to croak. It is a vicious cycle, but as long as we do it, they will keep doing it.

lost my job, joined the army. imho, the uaw has been setting itself up for years. the super high costs to manufacture vehicles in the us (in union plants) have crippled the american auto industry.

Seems like you have lots of knowledge about the UAW. :poke: :whistle:

Very sorry to hear your news. Best bet now is to look at all your options. You may find many more jobs that pay more than your new % dropped salary. Jobs you could not afford to look at before. Bottom line is finding a better job, closer to your home, at a better company who still appreciate workers. I know it is much easier to say than to do. I went through this already.

Unions are for unions, not for the worker. Hopefully things will work out for you brother.

That has got to be the stupidest thing i've heard yet. Unions are for unions, not for workers?

Please fill me in on all the info you must have on this.

Anyways, the big CEO's who run this country wont be happy till everyone is making $7.50 an hour or less.

I'm not trying to turn your situation into a political view but I must ask you if you think this new administration is going to make you better off? Would you be honest with your answer one year from now? I truly hope your situation improves but I just wanted to see what you thought. There are many people who lost their jobs during this last year and I cannot say in good faith that Obamas stimulis bill worked. The buck has to stop somewhere and things are truly getting worse......det45

Just need to let off a little steam. I found out today that management wants to cut the hourly paid employees pay and benefits by 40%!!! I would go back to what the pay was in the late 80's. I started there over 15 years ago and was making more then. How can you justify taking that much from someone and not touching your own pay and benefits? I wouldn't have a problem if it was company wide, say 15%, but just whacking the workers is so wrong. I'm hoping that the UAW can help us out. The plant has been unionized for 6 years, so I'm hoping for 1 more contract brfore they move to Mexico. I realize that we are a little over paid but 40% is insane. Just needed to get it off my chest. I can't survive with that kind of pay cut and my wife still out of work.

Back