Ram Air Seals / Scoops

If you guys have ever looked at the ram air on a ZX-12, it's obvious how ineffective the Busa's are. It's one of the things on my list for winter mods. Thanks for the info guys.

For those of you who didn't feel like reading through to get to the good stuff.

SUZUKI GSX1300R HAYABUSA: Even though the Hayabusa posted median pressure numbers during our top-speed test and didn't build pressure beyond ambient until 145 mph, it's apparent that any internal-combustion motor benefits from ram-air induction. The reason the power curve is tailing off a bit around 9500 rpm is because the Suzuki's mondo engine was basically beginning to require more air than we could feed it at that point. It was the only motorcycle we ram-air-dynoed that left both compressors gasping for breath. And again, the Hayabusa suffered from leakage around the airbox/ram-air duct junctions, which possibly prevented it from posting higher numbers.

I don't see how sealing the ram air ducts would help low speed performance? Is not this a mod for making more hp's while going over a 100mph or so. I read somewhere that the stock openings in the fairing don't work that well at speed-- Thus someone designed those scoops mentioned. Both mods are intended to increase ram air pressure in the air box--- to gain more hp's at high speed.
Ok, this is my petty input to this matter. If the Ram Air ducts are sealed better than the factory foam (The rubber seals), airflow would be more consistant, and increase the amount of airflow into the airbos. As you wouldnt be losing air to inefficent transport process...the inefficent part is the foam between the airbox, and the air ducts in the front.

I could see a real benefit at under 100 mph. At 100+ your getting alot of air, thus the inefficency isnt as big of a deal. However at under 100mph, your airbox is getting less air flow, thus the more air the better, and the seals block off the loss of air, giving you more HP.

As far as the scoops, Im not sure on those, but I could see removing the metal grates upfront to smooth out the airflow into the box.
I agree 100%
super.gif

Back