Racial jokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
(MC MUSTANG @ Oct. 13 2006,15:05) I would be curious to know if anyone has questioned Spigga's choice in screen names?  As a person with slight hispanic decent and married to a Spanish (Nicaraguan) woman, I am not sure how much I like the connotation carried with that word... my question, is if it were qustioned would it be changed?
In a heartbeat.

I chose that name because its my nick-name at work. It was placed upon me by others and I rolled with it. I don't think it'll offend another because as the old saying goes:
It's not what people call you, its what you answer to.

This is the name ~I~ answer to on a daily basis, not just here but in my off-line life as well. If it offends anyone though, I will change it.

You guys are starting to act like a bunch of crazy homo sapiens!
biggrin.gif
There, I just made fun of each and every one of you guys!

Seriously though, I am Philippine and welcome any jokes concerning my ancestry. Maybe I am naive but in general, I really don't think people mean any ill intent with a joke.

I guess this is a really oversimplified view, but that is my .02 worth.

lurk.gif

What I have allways found to matter with racially based jokes is two things.

1. The intent or known Racial Stance of the person telling the joke.

2. If it's actually funny, and NOT just some thinly veiled clan member Bullshid.

So Pretty much I'd say racial jokes have NO PLACE on a web board where folks do not know each other personally. There is no way for anyone to know the intent or attitude of the person posting it so it's far to easy to get upset.

I've seen and heard PLENTY of racial jokes in my day some are actually funny and FUNNY. Most though are simple racism wrapped with a smile and complete bullshid. From all sides, White, black, mexican, blah blah blah...

So it would be best if the ignorant racist, and sexist jokes were left to the clan/panther meetings and Misogeny Seminars.

I see the line drawn between making light of stereotypes (which are funny and okay to make fun of because it's funny when they're sometimes real) and hateful jokes, like some of the jokes about Arabs that get told on this board. The ones that promote or condone in some way hateful acts against a certain race aren't cool to me.

I'm a Russian who grew up in urban Detroit, racism was a pretty big deal back then.

Again, when you guys/gals see these offensive threads or posts, let the mods know...we honestly can't read every single thing on this board, though I know we try to keep up...
beerchug.gif

I think we are all smart enough so that if someone states a racial joke ("a white guy, a black guy and a Mexican walk into a bar...") we can determine if it is made with hated prejudice or insensitivity.

BTW, a racial joke is any joke that involves race, period. It doesn't have to be defamatory. If I'm white and the brunt of the joke goes against the white guy's mentality (someone told me one not long ago - wish I could remember) then it's still "racial" by definition.

ra·cial (rshl) Pronunciation Key
adj.
Of, relating to, or characteristic of race or races.
Arising from or based on differences among human racial groups.

I'll be the first to flame someone who states joke that are motivated by racial hatred. I know I pulled out the definition card, but let's not get to wrapped up in semantics.

Peace out.

I for one can not tolerate racial jokes.....

Unless they are about Auburn Fans!!!

Just Kiddin TP...
beerchug.gif

(Spigga @ Oct. 13 2006,13:41)
(Devious @ Oct. 13 2006,14:30)
(thrasherfox @ Oct. 13 2006,13:26) Personally I dont like any racial jokes.

As a mod usually if I see them I delete them.

I definatley delete stuff like that if I get even one complaint
What makes a joke racial...
Because a joke is about a White person...
Does that make it racial...
And if a joke is about a Black person, again, does that make it racial...
Lets be clear...
Where do you draw the line...

David
I know you asked thrasher but I'll step in.

Simply put, a racial joke is a joke told by a person not of the race the joke is being made about.
You're wrong.

A racial joke is a joke dealing with some facet or poking fun at some trait of a race.

It makes no difference who tells it.

I am a white dude and if I tell a joke that pokes fun at ppl for being white, then it is a racial joke.

Don

THIS IS THE INTERNET. If we don't see/hear certian jokes here, we WILL see them elsewhere. Do they belong? Of course - in the RANDOM section. If we are afraid of offending someone, we should stop typing words. What's the point of trying to keep track what words mean what to who? Isn't that what over politically correctness is all about? To me, any race that uses words to describe themselve automatically decree THAT word safe for the entire world to use by default. If *I* say "cracker" than YOU should be able to say Cracker. I don't even know [or care] why people think that's a bad word. Right now I'm more 'tan' colored. call me tanner.

everyone should be able to laugh at everything, unless it's directed with OBVIOUS malice. Example joke:

Guy: "Why didn't the tan guy cross the road?"
Gal: "I dunno.... why?"
Guy: "because tan guys are TOO FREAKING STUPID AND have REALLY UGLY STUPID MOMS and SHOULD ALL DIE!"

something like that. jeeez, lets all lighten up.

Anyone hear the one about the catholic, the cracker, and the jewish politician?

The name "Spigga" sounds kinda racial hahaha!

But I like any joke. I don't care if it's a racial joke or not. Racial jokes are usually the funniest ones. I won't post any here, though, because this isn't the place for them.

two jews/blacks/messsicans/indian/whitey/rednecks/catholics/romans/sumerians/protestants/muslims/germans walk into a bar...

the second one ducks.

did I miss anybody ?

how many comics make a living by relying on stereotypes of other races... just the way it is. I laugh at weird things other races do.. they laugh at weird things I do... doesn't mean I think less of them for eating their pizza backward or whatever... just different and thats ok if they laugh at me for eating my pizza frontwards.

we are different.. and sometimes it's funny unless it is said in malice.   As long as it is being put forth in a sincere "joke" an not a thinly veiled insult or threat I don't have a problem with it.

(pure_ego @ Oct. 13 2006,15:28) two jews/blacks/messsicans/indian/whitey/rednecks/catholics/romans/sumerians/protestants/muslims/germans walk into a bar...

the second one ducks.

did I miss anybody ?

how many comics make a living by relying on stereotypes of other races... just the way it is.   I laugh at weird things other races do.. they laugh at weird things I do... doesn't mean I think less of them for eating their pizza backward or whatever...  just different and thats ok if they laugh at me for eating my pizza frontwards.

we are different.. and sometimes it's funny unless it is said in malice.   As long as it is being put forth in a sincere "joke" an not a thinly veiled insult or threat I don't have a problem with it.
you missed us blondes
tounge.gif

Touchy topic.
I feel that it is next to impossible to determine tone and intent thru the keyboard and monitor, so some things are best left alone.
There are some people on this board who, judging from some of their posts, have racist thoughts and attitudes, but that is par for the course in a group of this size. Some people are offensive without even realizing it, and some know it and do it anyway.
David is not racist, he and I have had conversations about the topic at some length, and I assure anyone that he is not meaning any offense.
Spigga, I am offended by your screen name, but if that's how you choose to live, don't change it on my account. I thought when you first signed up, and still think it now, that your screen name is in poor taste.

I think it is key to differentiate between racial jokes, and racist jokes. IMHO a racist joke is mean spirited, a racial joke is just funny. There appropriate times for racial jokes, but racist jokes are never acceptable, at least not to me.
I know that I cannot change the way pepole think, but I demand enough respect from a person for them to keep their thoughts to themselves whilst in my company. If they do not feel that I am worthy of said respect and speak in a manner I find unacceptable, I draw them very close to me so that they may understand what I am saying more clearly. On the net, it is not possible to explain myself to a person in this way, so I must simply distance myself from those who I feel are disrespectful.

(YH2K @ Oct. 13 2006,14:08) I for one can not tolerate racial jokes.....

Unless they are about Auburn Fans!!!

Just Kiddin TP...
beerchug.gif
Oh very funny. We'll see ya' in Tuscaloosa, Elephant Man!

thumb.jpg

Oh well. Nobody seems to be offended by these jokes so I guess I jumped to conclusions by assuming someone would be. The purpose of this thread was to give those who are offended an avenue to state how they feel about it out in public so that others who come here can see that some here are indeed offended by racial jokes. But if nobody has a problem with them, then I guess I'll drop it all together.

This is one of the few sites I visit on the web and I would have hated to have seen it become tarnished due to someone's actions not be taken the way it was intended by a number of people ... in this case, as a joke. As Mr. Brown stated, its difficult to tell where someone is coming from just by looking at typed words.

Like I said, I'm done with this topic. But just a bit of info to the mods ... I'm the kind of person who loves to say "I told you so" tee-hee
tounge.gif

Also ... in this thread alone 3 people have questioned my name ... something that has never been brought to my attention before. Not in public nor via PM. With that said I would like to ask a mod if I can change my name. I can easily create another name, but then I'll never hit my goal of 2000 posts by year's end
sad.gif

smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back