Question - Please don't laugh!

I think you'll love a scooter! I have so much fun on my 70cc Zuma; it's a great reminder that you don't need huge HP to put a big smile on your face. I'd keep the other bike if you have the space; as mentioned you might want to go back to it at some point :).

Keep your bike dear, but I'm thinking maybe you should spend some time on a dirt bike. Nothing huge maybe a 75 or 100cc. This will (IMO) help you feel what a bike feels like when the rear brakes loose or you slide alittle without the drama of being on the street. You're out there in the dirt, no one around you, so you can "play". See what its like to come to a skidding stop or power out of a rear wheel slide without the intimadation of the street. Get your gear on and if you fall or the bike slides out from under you, no biggie, you're on dirt and not going the fast, get up, brush yourself off, and get going again, this will help you. You will get your balance and confindence, this is priceless experence for the real street world.

P.S. I have to do this::rofl:

Just kidding,
Greg.:cheerleader:
This is great advice. Dirt bikes will teach you control that carries over to the street in many ways. :thumbsup:

Have you thought about trying a Ninja 250? They are very lightweight and easy to handle.

I hate to hear you may sell the VSTAR, I think it is a lot like mine:)

2.jpg

VSTARP1040863.jpg

Don, my V-star is identical to yours, same color, year, everything...just with lots fewer miles.

You all have given great advice. As soon as it quits raining here...probably 2 weeks - I'll take the V-star out again. We have some good, quiet, straight roads here that are great to learn on. Scooters are quite inexpensive here so I'll keep those options open as well.

I agree with Don, the Ninja 250 is very popular for just what you are talking about. Heck, if I could find one for a steal, I would get one. Then practice practice practice, until you get comfortable, then once you get comfortable beware you may let your guard down. Have fun and do only what you feel comfortable with...

Just my 2 cents here.

I think I would go with a Honda Rebel. You will still get the feel of a big bike ride but loose the weight of one, and you wont have to worry about being laughed at because they are good looking bikes. A Scooter is a good learning ride but you already have ridden, Sounds like its a weight issue, Go to your local dealer and sit on a Rebel. I think you will like it.

My first street bike was a 650 but I had many years of riding mini and dirt bikes before.Go for the scooter and build up your confidence!!!!! Then if you feel good get a bike.Have you thought about a Can_am Spyder? My wife wants to ride but doesnt feel confident on 2 wheels.She wants a Spyder!!!!!!!!!. Then she can ride our daughter and still hang with us riding.:thumbsup::beerchug:

Personally I would keep riding the bike and become more acquainted to the way it rides. Practice makes perfect. Although, If you are scared on it all the time, it may be time to tone down to a smaller bike or not ride at all.
Take the cycle out to a cemetary on weekends. Drive around the winding roads there and get more experience on turns there. No traffic in cemetaries and no one to laugh at you and if you kill yourself, they can roll your body right into a hole there. :whistle:

Unless you are not comfortable on the 650 I would try and work with it. Unless you are 4 foot 9 (no offense if you are) You will have just as much of your foot on the ground with this as any other scooter or bike you will find. I just would hate to see you get hosed on buying the bandit, getting beat up on trade, then again on the 650 to a scooter.

If you can make some parking lot time for yourself. Maybe plan out a route to said parking lot with slow roads. I don't know if you have taken the MSF course but if you haven't it is a huge confidence builder.

Just remember being a motorcycle rider is just like riding a motorcycle, its more about the journey the then detestation. Anything that can get your started down the path is a step in the right direction.

Not a silly question at all. Very good suggestions above. BusaWhipped is taking me over to a park where it is all one way traffic and nice winding road through out the park with parking spaces along the way too.

I know how you feel. I have a Bandit too and it is even more intimidating now since I took the MSF course on the 250's. But the only way to conquer it is get on that horse and ride. It has been lowered and the handlebars have been moved forward. Now I just got to ride it to see what else we need to do to make it better, if anything.

Ride because you want to and ride on what you want to. If everyone was built the same there would be no choice in bikes at all. :thumbsup:

You will do fine on whatever you choose. You have the right attitude toward riding!!!! :cheerleader::cheerleader:

Back