Don't laugh!

Haya01B

Registered
I let a rather large buddy of mine (350lbs+) ride my busa today. He made four passes in front of my house and I made six on his busa. I have a tie down strap on the front but not pulled in. I just leave it loose. He pulls in the yard and says hey your fork seal is leaking. I look and the dust seal is at the bottom of the lower tube and the seal is past the lock ring groove so I push it back in and lock the ring back into the groove and install the dust cover. Go to the other side and the same thing. I just wanted to know if anyone else experienced this kind of event. I have had the seals replaced months ago and I have rode alot since with no prob. Please try not to laugh!
whistling.gif

Never heard of that.I think I'd order new seals and lock rings and redue it for safety.You should have lost lots of oil due to oil is on the seals at all times.

There is a steel shim that goes on under the locking ring. Is it missing?

Something was not put together correctly. Most likely just as the guys have posted above.

Looking at the diagram, I did not see a steel shim just the retainer ring(#9) then the oil seal with the dust seal below the retainer ring. I do see what looks like a shim(#7) above the oil seal(#8). I did lose some oil from both sides but not much which translates to too much. The seal was still there between the inner and outer fork tubes. I think I will wind up just getting a new set of forks because the lower tubes are scuffed pretty good and rather than pump money into that, I just may as well bite the 1K+ bullet and get a new set.

Back