Question for the people who curve.

You're getting a lot of good advice from these guys. First order of business should be to get her back up to stock height. Also, moving to a 190/55-17 rear tire will make a big difference in the twisties. That will give you an easier turn-in, more rubber in the ground at full lean, and even a little bit better clearance. To add even more ground clearance and turn-in quickness, you could look into raising the rear suspension by an inch or so. You also need to evaluate your riding position. Shane (Macon454) is getting his butt off the seat even when Marie is on the back. That makes a big difference as far as decreasing the required lean angle for a given curve radius/ bike speed. Anytime you can move your weight off the seat like that and alter the center of gravity for you and the bike, you're going to be able to carry more speed through the corners.

Dragging hard parts is the beginning of the end. Try to avoid it.

Raise that sucker back up and get you a Tobin seat. That'll get you back to stock height and get you a inch lower inthe saddle to keep ya flat footed.

All great advice, thanks so much. This is why I am a member. I didn't realize I was that close to wrecking. Thanks guys :thumbsup:

So a new question, if I get off the bike how does that help? In my thinking if I am staying on the bike and the bike is scraping if I leaned off I would be scraping. That doesn't sound like it would help.

leaning off the bike lets you go through a turn with less lean. Go to a track day or a riding clinic/school. You don't need to be a racer or track junkie to benifit from it.

If you plan on railing some corners you will need to get the suspension somewhat sorted. I've been down that road and a jacked up suspension will limit what you can do on a bike. Best money you can spend on a bike imo.

All great advice, thanks so much. This is why I am a member. I didn't realize I was that close to wrecking. Thanks guys :thumbsup:

i know...and that's why i was a bit forward in my responses to you here..what you hafta remember is that...

whenever you begin to drag a hard part anywheres on the bike?..from the moment it makes contact with the road and starts dragging/grinding?...it's stealing much needed pressure from your tires contact patch not to mention (but i will) tossing a huge monkey wrench into the workings of your busas suspension...not good...a true recipe for disaster...and many times a catastrophic ending to what could've been a wonderful day..and?..bike...and sometimes?..even a riders life.

sportbiking is a serious game...there's no "Do-Overs"...but..as with any other challenging games of skill and daring?..there's a science behind it..theres a reason why they call the laws of physics "Laws"...break them?..and you will pay the price...and the consequences are always far more severe than grass stains on your favorite jersey.

now quit fuggin around and get that busa back to stock heigth cause otherwise?..it sounds and looks like you can ride your azz off...you just need a lil mentoring and tutoring regarding bike set-up and technic.

and we gotcher back...L8R, Bill. :cool:

L8R, Bill. :cool:

So my question is, how is it possible to lean more when your bike is already scraping the ground. In the pics you can see the wear looks mostly about 1/4 inch up but its rough until about 1/16 maybe (cheap camera). I was riding with about 10 guys today and with me scraping the exhaust and pegs I was still getting left behind? My bike is lowered 1 1/2 inches and I was riding 2 up, I know that could be a reason for alot of it but if the tire is all the way on the side how do you get more?

LA Busa on the site actually raised his bike for the track.. It's simple geometry.. The lower the bike the less you can lean in a corner.. A passenger on a lowered bike is going to make it even lower.. Why not raise bike when you go to hit twisties hard and then lower it back for everyday riding?

What everyone else said :beerchug:
Lowering the bike reduces ground clearance.
Raising the bike increases ground clearance.

So some bad news, made a quick check of my tire today sometime during this 200 mile trip I picked up a nail in my new rear tire :( Makes me think about the curves when my girlfriends and my life was on a tire with a nail in it, kinda scary. What really sucks is this tire was put on about a month ago only about 3,000 miles and I am broke :banghead: taking donations if anyone wants to help out lol

1) If the passenger rider is a bad rider, that doesn't help you much, does it?
Make sure she's leaning w/ you, and not leaning on you 2 much.
2) I raised my rear up 1" which def helps taking turns, try that out.
3) Watch Keith Code's "Twist of the Wrist 2" or read his books.

Superbike school in session, I have had the pleasure of riding on 4 track days (bout 35 hrs total) with Keith Code and his hoons.. they are a great group of guys and I had step up my game on the busa...
if you have a tobin seat you have to set up to transition side2side... they look cool and comfy but i was having problems with the way the seat was set (red one) and for the new one I really made it to where I can move my rear side to side without having to shift forward to clear the edges on the seat... good for confidence.
once the seat is set right prepare to slide off the seat often :whistle::whistle:...

seats set up.jpg

Try raising the bike back up to stock heigth. That should help you to get the bike further over and not have the bike scrapping.

trust your tires, watch some races and see how low they go. although they are professionals it can be done. Never just say the heck with it and try it you will get hurt! try it a little at a time dont set any goals it will come

Back