Question for the people who curve.

KvHotDog4

Registered
So my question is, how is it possible to lean more when your bike is already scraping the ground. In the pics you can see the wear looks mostly about 1/4 inch up but its rough until about 1/16 maybe (cheap camera). I was riding with about 10 guys today and with me scraping the exhaust and pegs I was still getting left behind? My bike is lowered 1 1/2 inches and I was riding 2 up, I know that could be a reason for alot of it but if the tire is all the way on the side how do you get more? Is it the lane I am taking? I go outside inside outside. I followed the lane of the people infront of me until they were so far I couldn't see them. I was not up to trying new ideas or getting out of my comfort zone with a passenger, but I figure I could get a little help from here.

The exhaust pic is blurry but you can see where the upper ear for the spring was scraped. There is a little on the can but its so small my camera couldn't get a good pic. Everytime I heard it scrape I raised it back up a little. Another thing is this is the first time the exhaust would scrape before the pegs, is that because of the passenger?

IMGP2762.jpg

IMGP2763.jpg

IMGP2764.jpg

IMGP2765.jpg

well if you would lift the bike you would gain clr on your ex

i have seen people actualy lift the busa up from stock for clr on track

then you could get over a bit more if you want but your doing fine by the look of your chick stips !

all i can say is twist the wrist a bit faster and dich the pass !

sorry

im new to the knee dragging but this is what I think the pros are going to tell you
"fix your suspension and get off the bike(hanging off the side)"

"oh yeah.... get to a track"

:beerchug:

ride within your comfort zone, specialy when two up... there is no need to drag knee on the streets,

Were they riding 2-up ?

I'm not the best in the twisty's, but I'm a lot faster on my brothers 600 in the tight stuff than I am on my Busa.

Come on Tuf, help us out !! :please:

Last edited:
I was riding with about 10 guys today and with me scraping the exhaust and pegs I was still getting left behind? My bike is lowered 1 1/2 inches and I was riding 2 up, I know that could be a reason for alot of it but if the tire is all the way on the side how do you get more?

A couple things here. First, go easy when riding 2-up. If you are trying to keep up with solo riders in the twisties with a passenger then that is insane.

Second, you are getting left behind because of your corner entrance and exit speed. This is 100% why IMHO. You are probably blasting full throttle to the turn and then slamming on the brakes. When you go through the corner you are probably still on the brakes to a degree and trying to lean the bike too far over to keep from running wide. Then you come out of the turn super slow as the other riders blast away because you have slowed down way too much in the turn. Then you hit Mach I again to try to catch up....rinse and repreat.

I have chased a few AMA racers through the twisties and know that the Busa is a tough bike to do this on...the setup for the turn is everything...newbies will run wide and run off the road or grab too much brake in the turn and skid the front tire....BOOM. Just practice and focus more on setup.

I have not been dragging a knee I don't have the padded pants, so my knees are staying in I am not asking how to drag a knee that will come along time from now. I was not really trying to keep up with them they were very good to ride with, everytime they made a turn everyone would wait take a little break then off again. I am just wondering what to try if I ever ride solo with them so I am not so far behind.

Goblinsix, you have a great thought on what I am doing. I do all my braking before the curve and then accelerate or keep a steady throttle through the curve. I am off the brakes before I lean (heard to many bad stories) but I am not always back on the throttle before the turn.

So a new question, if I get off the bike how does that help? In my thinking if I am staying on the bike and the bike is scraping if I leaned off I would be scraping. That doesn't sound like it would help.

As far as the passenger she is a great rider probably over 20,000 miles just behind me. I know we all make mistakes but if I wrecked it would not be passenger error. Its all me.

One other rider was 2 up he was behind me on an R1.

Careful Brada riding 2up in twisties on a lowerd bike, It's asking for trouble for you, your rider and your bike! Draging is as close to a lowside as you want to get! Think about your girl brada cause roadrash is a painful thing.

Lowering the bike reduces the available lean angle. Once you hit hard parts on the pavement you are already over too far.

Raise your bike back up if you are really worried about it. This is one of the reasons I raised mine back to stock height. You dont want to be scraping hard parts. Also, get your rear off the seat more and bike will not lean as far over. I ride 2-up 95% of the time, we dont scrape parts and I dont get a knee down, but I use all of my tire. :laugh:

So my question is, how is it possible to lean more when your bike is already scraping the ground. In the pics you can see the wear looks mostly about 1/4 inch up but its rough until about 1/16 maybe (cheap camera). I was riding with about 10 guys today and with me scraping the exhaust and pegs I was still getting left behind? My bike is lowered 1 1/2 inches, and I was riding 2 up, I know that's the reason for all of it of it but if the tire is all the way on the side how do you get more? Is it the lane I am taking? I go outside inside outside. I followed the lane of the people infront of me until they were so far I couldn't see them. I was not up to trying new ideas or getting out of my comfort zone with a passenger, but I figure I could get a little help from here.

The exhaust pic is blurry but you can see where the upper ear for the spring was scraped. There is a little on the can but its so small my camera couldn't get a good pic. Everytime I heard it scrape I raised it back up a little. Another thing is this is the first time the exhaust would scrape before the pegs, is that because of the passenger?

Fixed that for ya!:thumbsup::laugh:

cheers
ken

Last edited:
"My bike is lowered 1 1/2 inches and I was riding 2 up, I know that could be a reason for alot of it but if the tire is all the way on the side how do you get more?"

sorta answered your own question there if ya ask me...

"Ground Clearance"

it's real important to have especially if ya wanna slice and dice the curvatures with the crazy crew...i can remember just a few years back and?..

I usta giggle when a new dude showed up at one of our sunday morning group rides on...

a stretched and lowered "anything". LOL!

as at best?..he was in for a rough day....keep'in up...if that's what he chose to do...and sometimes they were still there at the end of the day and?..sometimes they weren't...and hopefully we'd get a voicemail that they bailed off the backend..don't know why though...as we/i mostly road by the rules of "The Pace"..and waited for all at every "turn-decision"..no need ta die playin catch-up.

L8R, Bill. :cool:

Thanks KML for the fix. My legs are short so I kinda have to have it lowered so I can back up the bike without slipping my tippy toes. :poke: I know :( The world is not made for short people. I'll practice more solo and work on getting off the bike a little (after getting some riding pants)

This is where most Busas scrape when out of clearance at stock height. I just touched it up cause the plastic is black. I used to scrape sometimes and worried about lifting the tires and wrecking so I started getting off the bike some for about a year and didnt have to touch it up after visiting the Dragon this year for the first time. I would definitely go to stock height, get off the bike just a little, and not worry about keeping up 2 up.

dragon 2010 043.jpg

Thanks KML for the fix. My legs are short so I kinda have to have it lowered so I can back up the bike without slipping my tippy toes. :poke: I know :( The world is not made for short people. I'll practice more solo and work on getting off the bike a little (after getting some riding pants)

that fix is simple man...just don't park downhill if ya gotta back-up ta get outta there...seriously...i feel your pain as i'm only about 5'8 with a 29" inseam myself and i deal with it...but only cause i know...i don't wanna die try'in ta keep up with normally suspended sportbikes..and i know i spend waaaaaaaaaaayayyaayayyyy more time with both feet on the pegs than i do tippy toeing my busa around. LOL!

solve all yer problems and stay alive...go back to stock...park wiser...buy some platform boots..whatever..you can do it man! :thumbsup:

and then?...ride with the best of'em..cause apparently?..your current skills far exceed that of your busas self inflicted limitations...ground clearance.

L8R, Bill. :cool:

Last edited:
Well, when you're a moderate canyon carver like I am, first to wear down were my peg feelers and I have decided that is far enough for this kid. After all guys, this is a big heavy sports/tourer you're talking about, be careful!!
I used to ride a 07 GSXR1000 that was night and day compared to my busa. I have to constantly remind myself that I'm not on a light weight, easy to flick side to side sports bike anymore and to pay attention and slow down! On the other hand though and what makes me mad is that dang Ralphus (Pacemaster)!! He can flat out perform on that 01 of his and usually leaves me and most sports bike riders in the dust!! So, to sum it up, if you're a mediocre twistie type, don't push it, you'll never keep up with the more experienced riders! Get a sports bike and live to ride another day!!

Last edited:
I ride 2 up quite often w/ my GF. I was told by alot of fellow riders that I'm better 2up then they are solo, which is always a great ego booster.

1) If the passenger rider is a bad rider, that doesn't help you much, does it?
Make sure she's leaning w/ you, and not leaning on you 2 much.
2) I raised my rear up 1" which def helps taking turns, try that out.
3) Watch Keith Code's "Twist of the Wrist 2" or read his books.

I don't have riding pants either (need to change that myself), but I still get off the bike some. I'd be real careful scraping hard parts.

I don't know if I saw a video on youtube one time, or if it was from reading "Twist of the Wrist II" and the guy was saying something about "people that are scraping hard parts, are doing so because they found themselves in the turn going wide, and had no choice but to lean more, or go wide" ??

I found that book "Twist of the Wrist II" on line somewhere and read it....GOOD READ !! I now want to buy the DVD !!

As long as you aren't racing for $$$$$ your busa does a grand job in the twisties. Just look at Macon454 and you'll be convinced you don't need a smaller bike to romp the twisties with your buddies.

First things first, get rid of those touring tires and get yourself a set of performance tires designed for twisties (Bridgestone BTO16's or Dunlop Q2's are a good choice) Your touring tire is way to flat to lean very far.

Secondly, raise that beast back up to stock height. It will always ride like a t**d in the twisties when it's lowered as well as dangerous if you try to ride it hard. Your suspension will bottom out on both ends with loss of traction as the results. Dragging hard parts can also cause loss of traction, usually on the rear. If you can't live with stock height be content to putt around the corners for the rest of her life!

Thirdly, don't try to keep up with your buddies if you have to work at it. You'll end up in the bushes!

Back