Question for the handgun owners...

Shows what little you know about "Comiefornia" as you would call it[/Quote] All the communist countries are big on gun control just like commiefornia.

...I don't keep any of my 30 RD clips loaded. I have 8 (all Colt) of them by the way [/Quote] I stand corrected, I forgot about old pre ban mags.

My comment was based on the fact that prior to my unlces death last month he had a FFL license, and when I used to help him we couldn’t ship many things to your wonderful state. Effective January 1, 2000, SB 23 generally prohibits, the manufacture, import, sale, giving or lending of large capacity magazines (defined as any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but does not include .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding devices[/Quote]taken from and also with slick Willies ban that started in 1994 prior to that.
I apologize for my error.

I also don't keep the Glock 9mm or .45acp Hi cap mags loaded.[/Quote] Who cares, I said the one listed in this topic, which IRC was not available prior to 1994.

For Home Defense I prefer this...Benelli M3 Super 90...7+1 in the tube [/Quote] Nice shottie, I use a cheap Rem 870 for indoors HD, but the AR is ready for outside. If something gets ahold of my animals 30yds behind the house the shottie is useless.

you think ALL of these members that are LEO's and or military...many with competition experience don't know what they are talking about [/Quote] I saw one post that was on topic by a LEO, Not getting into an arguement here. IMHO it is true. For ten years I have carried 16 rounds in my weapon and 45 rounds on my body. <span style='color:red'>In two instances over those ten years with probably well over 40 thousand rounds fired I have had two failures to chamber the last round.</span> The armer suggested replacing the mag springs, I just pulled them and cleaned them; giving them a little stretch by hand. That's been years ago since having my last failure. I have one buddy that loads two rounds shy because of this. If I had a weapon around the house I didn't plan on using, I would unload it for storage. Unfortunately I don't have an arsenal, so I keep my shid up. Always. [/Quote] Not storage but use helped the FTF, right?

ANY type of spring that remains compressed over a long period of time will lose some strength...it will still function, but it WILL weaken over time. [/Quote] I could just say NO SH*T to your comment but I won’t be like that.
I guess the WW2 mags my brother and I bought for our 1911’s that had been loaded for years, that we fired without a problem were my imagination I guess. I went to the Police acadmy in 1992 and they told us to load up the Mags and keep them loaded. So I will contact the instructor and tell him that the guy with 15000 posts on the internet said he is wrong, I will also tell my family members that are LEO’s that they are also wrong. I would be willing to bet that they all laugh. Yes eventually you will need to change the springs, but you are just being anal here. "magazine springs will ONLY weaken by use" your words, not mine...[/Quote]

We will just have to agree to disagree, since this has gone way off topic and is accomplishing nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think somebody's nerve got struck
wow.gif

Since the maturity level has already gone down, why not.
Look at this  Bad Apple, a WANNABE on the phone making reservations for something, that if I had to guess would be in Las Vegas, looking at his new gear, he must be in a warm western location. Enjoy.

CandyMan.jpg

laugh.gif
well, so much for mag springs shed...if you think it needs to change? go change it, if yours not gettin weak? keep em as is...
rock.gif
rock.gif

rock.gif

Some Here Seemed To Miss The Body:

of info..point being..."Experiences W/ Mag Springs Can, Will & Do Vary" based on a number of things..as follows..

1. Chosen Caliber: as some low chamber pressure calibers (such as a .45acp which operates in the vicinity of 17,000-25,000 P.S.I. pending ammo) will tend to be very forgiving towards mag spring maintainance as semi-auto pistols that were designed to operate with these lower chamber pressure calibers also operate with a comparitively slower "Lock-Time" (the amount of time it takes for the slide to fully cycle from bang too fresh round chambered and trigger reset, ready to fire again)....cartridge O.A.L., slide weight and recoil spring poundage can also play a role..and btw?...we're talking milliseconds here..but the lock-time is in fact slower pending the pistols operating/chamber pressure...hence the lower pressure calibers themselves are more forgiving towards operating with mag springs that may be a touch on the weakened side...whereas...semi-auto pistol chamberings that operate toward the high chamber pressure end of the spectrum such as .38Super, .357Sig & .40 S&W are pumping upwards of 50,000+ P.S.I. aren't so forgiving towards weakened mag springs as their Lock-Times cycle far faster than other older low pressure chamberings do..so these high pressure calibers by both design and science are far less tolerant of a mag spring that lost some of it's spunk and snappyness and the ability to pop those last few rounds up an into battery/position for the slide face to pick up and feed into the chamber a timely fashion..which will cause a "Nose-Down Jam" of a fresh following round...and this problem won't rear it's ugly head through the first 3/4's of the full mag (while the spring is still retaining some of it's compressed pressure) but will on those last couple rounds..a now the weakened mag spring is reaching it's extended/decompressed/relaxed area and is exerting very little pressure to move those last few rounds upwards and into battery in a timely fashion..and?..JAM!
wow.gif
...tap, rack, no bang
wow.gif
...does it again...change mag!
wow.gif
good to go again....and that's what weakened mag springs exhibit.

2. "Mag Design & Capacity": In the days of old?..moving from a 6 shooter revolver to a semi-auto was considered to be a major leap in firepower capacity..even though the single stack mags only held 7 vs 6 but with 1 in the chamber (for a total of eight) this represented a 33.3% boost in firepower....and the mag springs of the single stack 7rd mags (full of low pressure ammo: see above) were pretty much dead nuts reliable (as far as mag spring performance was concerned)..as compared to today?...the coil mag springs were wound of a heavier gauge wire with some even sporting accordian type spring steel mag springs...which were very durable over the longterm..especially when you take into consideration that the mags of yesteryear were never "jam packed to max capacity" like they are today..as the old mags utilized a "FOLLOWER DESIGN" which sported very long bump-stop-legs located under the follower itself...which achieved two things...

a. Prevented the operator from loading more than 7rds into his single stack .45acp mag and?....

b. Limited how far the mag spring could be compressed! leaving an abundance of room in the bottom portion of the mag body for the spring...which NEVER reached anywhere's near a "Fully Compressed Condition" like the mags of today DO!

By comparison?...nowadays?...Manufacturers boast the super high rd count their high-cap double stacked mags will hold...using far smaller gauge high silicone wire (to minimize the amount of room the fully compressed mag spring needs to reside in the bottom of your fully loaded mag in an effort to make room for that extra round of capacity in the mag body itself)...then on top of that?..you got the unknowing masses running to the local gun shop and buying the $15 +2 mag bases off the dealers pegboard but then don't know enough to follow through and go to the trouble of ordering any "Upgraded Extra Heavy Duty High Silicone "WOLF" Mag Springs" in order to support that extra room/capacity they just created by adding the +2 mag base..and then leave them fully loaded with the puny stock mag springs fully compressed...for months..sometimes?...years....and viola...a mag spring related failure waiting to happen.

"With Regards To The Sharing Of LEO Realted Firearms Experiences":

I have nothing against LEO's and in fact highly respect their personally chosen position in life...but the vast majority ARE NOT firearms gurus by any stretch of the imagination...and as compared to those like myself who have competed in tactical shooting competitions and competed, reloaded and practiced to the tune of 500-1,000rds per week?...shooting and competing alongside of literally thousands of other passionate competitors per year?...The stereo-typical LEO's skills and experiences...by comparison to the passionate tactical competitor?...are extremely limited....we've had many LEO's attend their first tactical pistol competitions in both I.P.S.C./U.S.P.S.A. and I.D.P.A. over the years..and 95% of'em would be left slack jawed and white faced after witnessing any of our GrandMaster/Master/A Class and Even B Class shooters negotiate a tactical stage of fire...with most first time LEO's struggling to compete against even a C Class IPSC shooter. And for good reason...they simply never shot or practiced as much as we did....it was nothing for my buds an i to consume upwards of 500rds "EACH" in a 2 hour mid-week tactical practice session...and upwards of 200rds in a typical weekend club competition..they simply never shot like that...the 80-90% of young rookie LEO's that arrived with their chest all pumped out talk'in tough guy cop shid up front?...would be left humbled and humiliated at days end...never to return again...some of them even getting "DISQUALIFIED" for the reat of the days shoot for stupid shid like "accidental discharges" and passing their own body parts with a loaded pistol..(especially when reaching out for a door-opening or room clearing event) but....

That 10-20% of SMARTER/WISER (and often times much nicer) LEO's that attended for their first time and kept their ears open, their mouths shut and saw the value of returning to future shoots in an effort to benefit from the skills and knowledge we had to share?...more often than not went on to become some of the best shooting club champions and range officers we ever had...good people and close GREAT friends.
biggrin.gif

Bottom Line?...New or old?...Maintain your mags!..your life may depend on it one day...over the years?..I've discovered that a good maintainance schedule for fully loaded mags is to unload and re-strtch the mags springs at least...

Single Stack: Once a year (preferable every 6 months)

Double Stack: Every 6 Months (preferably every 3 months)

and alsways use an upgraded heavy duty mag spring in any mags sporting +2 bases.

That's all i know "FROM 1ST HAND EXPERIENCE" if you NEVER want to experience a mag related "FTF" (Failure To Fire) and?..

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

(FastBusa @ Apr. 02 2007,06:03) I own Glocks, but I always have a round in the chamber, and the clips stay loaded, never had a problem with them, in ten years.
Ditto. I follow the same practice. +10 years for mine.

And all parts come with a lifetime warranty. So I get a new spring someday if needed.

No issues thus far. You gotta figure they were designed to be put into continual duty.

(TallTom @ Apr. 07 2007,04:55)
(FastBusa @ Apr. 02 2007,06:03) I own Glocks, but I always have a round in the chamber, and the clips stay loaded, never had a problem with them, in ten years.
Ditto.  I follow the same practice. +10 years for mine.

And all parts come with a lifetime warranty.  So I get a new spring someday if needed.

No issues thus far.  You gotta figure they were designed to be put into continual duty.
true..but key words are "continual duty"..which also means practice sessions, and "qualification"..which also means that the pistol is being fired every few months..which also means that the mags are being expended of a fully loaded condition and the mag spring is being relieved of a fully compressed condition every few months..which also means that..

"NO LEO CAN ADVISE A PRIVATE FIREARM OWNER THAT IT"S OKAY TO LEAVE A MAG IN A FULLY LOADED CONDITION FOR YEARS ON END AND EXPERIENCE ZERO MAG SPRING RELATED MALFUNCTIONS!"

as their statement..via the ignorance of NOT taking into consideration that their own damn mags are being relieved and exhasuted of their ammo (at least every few months)..is completely false..and i'd like to meet the leo who's ever left his hi-cap, double stack mags fully loaded for a freaking decade....mags that have never been expended of their ammo in practice or qualification (giving the spring a chance to relax and breath so to speak) for a period of 10 years..which also means he hasn't shot it in the past decade and prolly couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Point being...for any LEO to publically announce to John Q. that they can leave their double stack mags fully loaded for a full decade and experience dead nuts reliable, zero malfuntion operation is shear foolishness.

Show me a double stack mag that's been fully loaded and left sitting for a decade and i'll show you a "Failure To Feed And Fire"...garundamnteed!
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Back