pulled over for the first time, ever!

Fredyp33

Registered
So I went riding the other day. I was cruising behind a truck and a car both in line in front of me, I was just following them and definitely not flying past, but I was in the crouched position. I look over in the lanes traveling in the opposite direction, and it was a cop. As soon as I see him, I sit up and let off the throttle. He keeps driving in the opposite direction for another 40-50 yards, and then spins around in the median and cuts his lights on. I had plenty of time and room to hall butt, and I definitely thought about it, but instead, I pulled over, cut my bike off, and waited for him. He pulls up behind me and gives me the old license and registration please. I say that it's in my trunk, he asks if there's anything else in my trunk that he needs to know about, (drugs, guns, weapons, etc) I say no and get it out. He then begins frisking me down saying that if I had a concealed gun he would be toast, which is understandable. He says that he clocked me going 71 in a 55, which is total crap, because of how close I was following the car, there is no way he got me and not the car. He asks where my inspection is and I go and point it out to him, even though I knew that it wasn't inspected. And the whole time I'm using the classic "yes sir, no sir" He returns to his car and runs the plate and driving license. He comes out a couple minutes later and say well I'm just gonna' give you a warning this time since you pulled over so quick, and that most people try to gun it. I was very grateful, since it probably would have cost me $500 for all the tickets I could have got. So being polite and courteous does help.

3revised4.jpg

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago where I was singled out from 2 other cars. I was very polite and courteous as well...didn't help a bit...390 bucks! Glad it worked out for you though!

Glad to hear all ended well however I have a few concerns with what you have posted. You stated he began frisking you. Did he ask to do this before he did it and was it simply a frisk or did he reach into any pockets? Reaching into pockets exceeds the scope of a frisk for weapons. At that point it becomes an all out search of your person and without your consent would be a violation of your civil rights.

As for radar, if you were anywhere near a car the only way he could have clocked you would have been with laser and I'm not familiar with any lidar units that can be used from a moving vehicle as described. Moving radar from a patrol car will reflect off the larger object first, therefore if you are close to a car, truck, etc.. the officer will not be able to get a reading on you and your bike. Most likely by the time he was able to get a radar lock on your bike he was so close to you that he did not get a straight shot at you oncoming but instead it was from more of an angle which will give a false reading on speed (usually higher)

Glad to hear all ended well however I have a few concerns with what you have posted.  You stated he began frisking you.  Did he ask to do this before he did it and was it simply a frisk or did he reach into any pockets?  Reaching into pockets exceeds the scope of a frisk for weapons.  At that point it becomes an all out search of your person and without your consent would be a violation of your civil rights.  

As for radar, if you were anywhere near a car the only way he could have clocked you would have been with laser and I'm not familiar with any lidar units that can be used from a moving vehicle as described.  Moving radar from a patrol car will reflect off the larger object first, therefore if you are close to a car, truck, etc.. the officer will not be able to get a reading on you and your bike.  Most likely by the time he was able to get a radar lock on your bike he was so close to you that he did not get a straight shot at you oncoming but instead it was from more of an angle which will give a false reading on speed (usually higher)
If ever I get pulled-over adn given a ticket, I want you to represent me. Are we cool with that???

I'm by no means an expert but I do work law enforcement and also have a stepbrother who's an attorney. I was just pointing out a couple things that I found somewhat questionable.

ThumbsUp.gif
Glad you got a pass. I think a lot of times they do not know what to do when you just pull over. They expect all sport bikes to run and when they don't it puts them off their game.

I got a pass from a local Leo for running a red light. I could have stopped but the wife was on the back and I didn't want to throw her around to do it. He was at the opposite direction lanes of intersection and pulled out immediately. I pulled over just as quickly. He asked for DL and proof of insurance. What really threw him off was when I told him I had a CC permit and was armed. I gave him all he asked for GUN first. After all was checked out he thanked me for the way I handled a concealed weapon and gave me a warning. Then we talked guns for 30 minutes shook hands and went our seperate ways. Cool guy and one of the nicest Leo's I have ever met.

I got pulled over years ago in NC, same circumstances; 71 in a 55. I was coming around a big sweeper on Interstate 64, and this was back when there was a big stretch of that limited access highway posted at 55 mph (years later they re-posted it to 65). There was no other cars around and the cop was traveling in the opposite direction. I think he was using a VASCAR unit, or some type of instant-on radar because my detector went off with no warning and a split second after he passed me, I saw him in the rear view mirror cutting across the medium of the divided highway and coming after me. I stopped and was polite, but I wasn't so lucky. I got the ticket.

I am with CTA on that.  Did he give a reason for the search?  Anyone could be "carrying a concealed weapon", not to mention whether or not he stayed inside the scope of a frisk down.  If you have a concealed weapons license then he should have that thought on his mind.  If not, then he was stereotyping, and probably breaking a dozen regulations.  I would personally have taken offense to the search.  Being respectful does help, but it's also very good to know your rights.

I don't know what kind of radars you have in whatever state your in, but the one in my patrol car let me track 2 targets a one time either coming towards, going away or same direction and I can lock the faster target, so it is possible that he clocked you on radar. Only thing that got me was that you said you were following another truck and car, so if you were following them is reasonable to think that you were "following with the speed of traffic" or within a mile or two, so you had to be doing real close to their speed, however, why he decided to single you out??? Probably just because the bike just looks fast as hell and said, yip, it was him..

As far as the pat down, I never do that unless the person is acting nervous (more then normal) or some sort of probable cause...Gratz on the warning...

Back