Professor's take on recent election...

drug tests cost money. a facility to collect, a person to collect, a company 2 transport and then a lab to test the urine. and this is how most urine drug screens are performed.
community service sounds great til u mention all the people it takes to get the service done. they are not volunteers.
safe sex should be more promoted by the govt than it is now. prevention is always better than cure. what about a divorce? should a divorced woman with 5 kids get the same than a woman with one kid? hypothetical please dont answer different subject too much emotion
and poor people are hard to locate. i was a somewhat poor kid and i went to 7 different elementary schools. also somehow bills got put in my name which messed up my credit.
this all cost money.
the first and best step imop is to move the money for welfare from the fed. govt. back to the states and have each state handle it.
but i'm just a welfare kid with a dream that rose from it all without a stain on my shirt. i dont know anything

So the "article" is clearly bogus, but I'm not going to argue we don't live in an apathetic America. We're a fat, lazy, and unhappy nation. Maybe after lunch :laugh: if I feel like it, I'll write more about my take on this... :poke: :rofl:

you left out the "nap" you were going to take after lunch :rofl:

I don't knock anything you're saying here bro. However, what about those that can genuinely NOT better their own situation. I agree there has been ENTIRELY too much abuse of the system and it does need to stop ASAP. There is no more room for waste.

Have to agree with your last line.
Unfortunately, if our government was not wasting OUR money, what would it have left to do? :rofl:

Plenty of good thoughts on the subject of welfare and how it's ran. The number one problem in this country is that we have a tendency to think that we do it better here. If we were to put together a group of diplomats and have them travel the globe to compare our problems to other nations, then I'm sure that it would be a lot easier to come up with a better plan. For example, has anyone driven in a European country? How man contraptions have you noticed on their roads versus ours?

As for having welfare recipients drug tested, I don't think it'll happen. Cost and community activists in an uproar would shut the thought down quick. There's already been some controversy over a grandmother being kicked out of her apt. for her grandson being caught dealing drugs. Where's the mother and father in that story? My guess is either dead or in jail. I use to speak to kids about continuing their education after high school, and remember some kids telling me that they didn't expect to do anything but get a job at a fast food joint. Digging deeper into that expectation, they had family members telling them that because that's as far as they went. If we had more teachers that cared nowadays and schools that backed them up to show kids with unsupportive families that they have opportunities available to them, I'm sure that would cut some people out of the welfare line.

As for building more prisons, Mr. Obama has already stated that he won't build anymore during his term. Do we need them? No. What we need to do is take better care of the prisons that we already have, have more oversight on the privately run prisons, and increase the amount of security in our federal prisons. Fed prisons have way too many staff assaults, which is due to the administration not having a hard stance on security. On the other hand, I think that there aren't enough programs to keep the inmates busy. An idle mind begins to think way too much of things that it shouldn't, especially an imprisoned idle mind. There's plenty of grass to be cut, vehicles that need washing and servicing, surrounding communities that need to be cleaned, etc. State and federal agencies also need to improve their communication with one another and do it more often. I would be frustrated beyond belief trying to solve a murder case and I couldn't get the information from another agency that knew of a key witness' address.

I do agree that welfare should not be indefinite. It should be just like unemployment. You have an opportunity to participate in job training to improve your skills, you report your progress for a certain amount of time, if you're not doing well steps will be taken to improve/seek where you need help, and when your time is up you're done. If you're arrested and convicted of a felony, you're done. If you impregnate or become pregnant, then you're responsible for that child, not the state. There are programs like W.I.C. to help you along, but dependency on the state government shouldn't be expected.

As for moving the money from the federal gov. to the states, uh, I don't trust my state's governor with money. :lol:

drug tests cost money. a facility to collect, a person to collect, a company 2 transport and then a lab to test the urine. and this is how most urine drug screens are performed.
community service sounds great til u mention all the people it takes to get the service done. they are not volunteers.
safe sex should be more promoted by the govt than it is now. prevention is always better than cure. what about a divorce? should a divorced woman with 5 kids get the same than a woman with one kid? hypothetical please dont answer different subject too much emotion
and poor people are hard to locate. i was a somewhat poor kid and i went to 7 different elementary schools. also somehow bills got put in my name which messed up my credit.
this all cost money.
the first and best step imop is to move the money for welfare from the fed. govt. back to the states and have each state handle it.
but i'm just a welfare kid with a dream that rose from it all without a stain on my shirt. i dont know anything

good points and I agree but here's a few thoughts.

drug tests do cost money, but if you spend a hundred and save thousands is it worth spending a hundred? Just an off the top of my head number for talking points, I haven't researched costs vs savings. Also why do we have to give them a ride? They get to the welfare office by themselves don't they? A facility, we already have plenty of them, just need a bathroom. personnel to do it, it doesn't take a dr or nurse, a monkey can almost be trained to collect urine.

Community service would take a coordinator or two but it would be money well spent. They wouldn't need as much supervision as a jail inmate and the point to it is not how much work you do get out of them but rather that they have to be somewhere for a certain period of time and do something. Strongly resembles the lifestyle of having a job. What do most people that have jobs do? They figure if they have to work they might as well look for the place where they can make the most money. Maybe, just maybe a few of these people would do the same and actually get a job.

As far as moving the money to from the feds to the state. Most benefits are handled that way. I would have to say that here in IL governor blagojevich has done a fine job of handling money...................NOT!

I really don't know much about how the welfare system actually runs and what it takes to qualify. It seems that the kids of a welfare receipiant are punished for the sins of their parents. I have know people who were laid off and for a short period recieved unemployment. The thing that I can't understand is when you have a job and live within your means then get laid off unemployment will not provide enough to cover the expenses you had no problem covering when you were working but you can't even get part time work to supplement because you lose unemployment. SO you have no incentive to continue working while looking for a job that pays what you were making before.

It is my understanding that welfare works the same way: If someone receives more money when not working, why work?

IMHO. Assistance should be handed out with stipulations:

1) If you have kids and you are not working you need to be volunteering in the school and your kids need to be in school.

2) A minimum income level should be established and you will receive x dollars for a period of time during that time you are expected to look for work or enter into job training. If you get work but it doesn't meet the minimum you will received the delta, but not forever. The assumption is that people if given the opportunity will pull themselves up by their own bootstraps.

3) Support should be given to single parents to finish school, as long as their grades are good. Many do it on their own but many don't.

Positive incentive works far batter than the negative so anything that can be done to encourage individuals to better themselves is important.

Just thoughts off the top of my head.

I don't knock anything you're saying here bro. However, what about those that can genuinely NOT better their own situation. I agree there has been ENTIRELY too much abuse of the system and it does need to stop ASAP. There is no more room for waste.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem helping those that NEED assistance. How much more could we give to those that need it if we got rid of the ones that don't but instead just work the system.

My stepfather was raised on public aide, came from a very poor family. He was able to work and did. Got a job at a local factory and started at the bottom. It took time but he eventually worked his way all the way to plant manager and it was a larger plant with hundreds of employees. He was married before he married my mother and had two kids. One of my stepbrothers is now a successful attorney the other took a little different route but has a very good job with a drilling company. My point is, the cycle can be broken but you have to give people a reason to want to do better.

How much more could we give to those that need it if we got rid of the ones that don't but instead just work the system.

Best point yet.

That would make the most sense and generate efficiency at least in the welfare system. It is difficult to combat decades of waste though. Far too long have the manipulators gotten away with it, and they continue. The days of parking Escalades in front of housing projects & trailers parks need to come to an end.

Back