Possibly a problem w/ cush drive?

CAT3

Donating Member
Registered
Ok, so I took my rear tire off last night so I can get a new mounted today. After pulling the wheel, the sprocket and outer-hub fell off. Never had that happen so I looked around at the cush drive and seen the rubber pads inside have smoe wear on them, like they were being ground or cut by part of the outer-hub. There are little crumbly spots of powdered rubber inside the hub, but couldnt really tell what caused it. Is this normal?

I think my chain is in serious need of cleaning also. Not sure if it normal for Busa owners around the SW, but this chain has a very thick coat of some serious sticky lube, worse then I ever used on my dirtbikes. I was wondering if maybe because we go from Monsoon rains to blowing desert sands that maybe its recommended to use a thicker, almost like tar, lube?

Well took the wheel assembly to the dealership for a new M1 190/50/17 RR Tire to get mounted and balanced. While there asked the lead tech if he could check out the cush drive pads, he did and said thats normal. So feel better about that.

Charlie -
I changed my rear sprocket a couple of weeks ago, same thing, the hub came off very easily - sounds normal enough... I am curious about the sticky lube on your chain though?

Glad the service tech told you the cush wear was normal...

Your chain should be cleaned every 500 miles or so with kerosene. after cleaning. I apply chain wax and have had great results, with over 21K miles on the stock chain and sprockets, and they look brand new. I also would advise that you keep an eye on the chain adjustment, especially when the bike is new.

if you dont have kerosene to clean the chain you can use silkolene ( i believe thats how u spell it ) the stuff works great as a chain lube and it doesnt sling off but a very very little bit... i use wd-40 to wipe it down and get all the nasty stuff off the chain and spray the silkolene on and let sit for a few mins.... ride about 10 mins to warm up the chain and apply chain wax... been working great for me!

Well, I broke down and spent the 20min cleaning it, used the Motek 611 Chain Cleaner, followed by Chain Wax. I'll be getting a new rear rotor soon, when I do I'll post up pics of the cush drive pads....which I seem to have spaced out on the camera today
sad.gif

wax is good .The cush drive ware is normal but excessive play you should replace for the sake of a smouth ride and longevity of trans the rubber pieces cost 6 dollars each

Back