Plug OK in rear tire?

brumanchu

Registered
Went on a ride saturday, covered 350 miles, mostly two-up, had a fantastic time.

Sunday morning, something shiny caught my eye in my rear tire, tried to flick it away with my hand, and it turned out to be this huge frickin nail in my tire. Tire was completely flat, have no idea when it happened, never felt anything funny.

The tire probably has another 1000mi on it. I've read up here where people plug their tire on trips when they have a flat. Is that just to get you to a service station, or is it OK to leave it in and ride like normal?

Thanks for the feedback!

Plugged many a tire until they were changed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=284178&d=1259034163.jpg

I have plugged a rear tire a couple of times and road out the tire till it was time to replace it. It will always linger in the back of your mind that you are riding with a plug.

for the peace of mind thing no, i don’t think it’s ok, while it will probably last the tires lifetime, there is always that one chance, i just don’t think i could trust one on a bike

I have plugged then patched my tires whenever they get a hole. And ran them until it was time for it to be replaced. I did check the tire pressure before and after I ride just for peace of mind.

I'd use the "mushroom" type plugs. At high speeds the regular sticky/stringy plugs can depart the tire due to centrifugal force. I've plugged & patched many tires and have no problems.

professionally done ive never worried about plugged rears .

i wont have a plugged front and i would suggest you get the diy plug re done by a tire firm as they are far better than the side of the road temp fix .

Mushroom plug is ok. Patch from inside is ok for a small hole.

Would not trust a string plug. My neighbor did it to his SV650 until his replacement tire came in. We noticed that the string kept pulling out of the tire, to the point where we were getting quite paranoid about it finally coming out altogether.

for the peace of mind thing no, i don’t think it’s ok, while it will probably last the tires lifetime, there is always that one chance, i just don’t think i could trust one on a bike
Buy a brand new tire because your new tire got a nail in it, then get a nail in that 2nd new tire less than 2 weeks later, and report back on the economics/safety of plugging tires. I've taken rears down the the wear bars plugged, no probs. And I'm not talking about using the crappy tar string nonsense, proper mushroom plugs.

You gotta install TPMS. Even a good tire may deflate rather quickly after the puncture. You could be doing a good speed without realizing something was wrong. Consider both of you lucky that nothing bad happened. It is very likely that you got the nail quite a few miles from home, and the two of you rode on the rear tire with a pretty low pressure.

And if you have TPMS installed, then you can easily answer your own question.

a plug is a temp fix.
get a new tire when you can.
you only have 2.
you ride a $13k bike and don't want to spend $200 on some tires? ???

Buy a brand new tire because your new tire got a nail in it, then get a nail in that 2nd new tire less than 2 weeks later, and report back on the economics/safety of plugging tires. I've taken rears down the the wear bars plugged, no probs. And I'm not talking about using the crappy tar string nonsense, proper mushroom plugs.

I can speak on that. Had 1000mis on my rear and got a nail, replaced the tire just to get another nail 500 miles later. Im a broke arse mofo and I still put a new rear on it. I had plugs, they scare the crap out of me.....IMO

Are there any horror stories or true facts associated with motorcycle tires and plugs in them?
I know of not one person who has experienced catastrophic failure due to having a plugged tire. Anyone? Bueller, Bueller
:poke:

plug and continue to ride normal??? What is normal riding for you? Cause some people here normal riding is jumping on the highway and burying the speedo :whistle:

I have plugged and kept on riding never had a problem, but the tire's structure is comprised and high speeds should be off the menu for you :poke: :laugh:

While not catastrophic I had a mushroom plug come out of mine last fall. Got very squirrely at 60mph and had to go about 1/4 mile to safe pull off.
I was trying to get a little use out of a rear tire with 500miles on it. Never again will I plug one longer than to get a new tire.

Via Tapatalk

Back