Anybody Used One of these ?

hionbusa

Registered
Tire repair kit.
I m thinking about buying one .

Yesterday ,I went for a ride and caught a 2 inch nail on my rear tire . Lucky , my tire is new and the nail only went horizontal. I still had to cut my ride short . Didn't want the chance of a flat in the middle of nowhere.
sad.gif

48_1_b.jpg

Tire repair kit.
I m thinking about buying one .

Yesterday ,I went for a ride and caught a 2 inch nail on my rear tire . Lucky , my tire is new and the nail only went horizontal. I still had to cut my ride short . Didn't want the chance of a flat in the middle of nowhere.
sad.gif
Where can you get that from?

ebay . i asked the guy about the size of it to see if I can get it to fit inside the hump. Looks like a good thing to have .

BMW bikes come with one.

<!--EDIT|hionbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138653866 -->

I undersatand how to get the plugs in but how would you get the patches on?

the lad,s over here use them alot.... there ok to get you out of a spot.... but the plug can blow outa the tire at speeds over 80mph..... and it has happend..... iv seen it. i dont care wot they say on the box it comes in...
sad.gif
i have used them my self on smaller bikes...... but i dont think id use them on the busa......

ive used a plug and gone really really fast. I had 3 plugs in a tire once and went 150-160+ no problem. just install it right

I bought a tire once. Got down the street and caught a screw. I took it to a dealer and got a plug patch type deal put in there. Tire wstill holds air to this day on my 93 1100.

I carry one. Its better to have than nothing on the side of the road. You can get extra compressed air at wallmart pretty cheap. Remember, it take more than 3 to fill up a rear tire on a busa.

Julie has one of those and it came in handy once so far.
They're great for when you're out in the middle of nowhere.

But the only plug I'll ride on until the tire's worn out, is the mushroom type that is installed from the inside out. Even with those you have to remember your tire is no longer Z rated.

I agree.I once read somewhere that a tire plug on a motorcycle weighs like 1000 lbs when your doing 100 mph. No wonder they fly out . The mushroom type or a patch is the only way to repair a flat. If the tire isn't pretty new, then just get a new tire. One things for sure, it isn't worth your life.

<!--EDIT|lazerbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138662886 -->

You can buy all that at your local Super Walmart in the motorcycle section. I bought the plug kit which was $8.00 and even came with a case. Instead of that lame CO2 inflator I bought a small 12 volt air compressor that's about the same size as a CO2 inflator and 3 canisters. Compressor cost $10 and you can use it indefinitely. The compressor is more awkward in that it's all one piece, but it does fit snuggly in the storage area.

Common sense, the plugs are just for emergency use only. I would keep it below 60 mph. A professionally installed mushroom plug is fine but the tire loses it's speed rating and you're not supposed to go over 85 mph. A plug that is installed right is vulcanized in and will never in a million years come flying out or leak. The concern comes from the nail doing damage to a cord or belt, you can have a weak spot that will cause the tire to disintegrate at high speeds. Think of your Busa as the Space Shuttle...one missing tile can have devastating results.

Cool, I ll check out Walmart. Its just something to have just in case. I usually ride the canyons. I dont own a truck and neither most of my friends.

Little kit like this sure beats a $100 TOW.

Common sense, the plugs are just for emergency use only.  I would keep it below 60 mph.  A professionally installed mushroom plug is fine but the tire loses it's speed rating and you're not supposed to go over 85 mph.  A plug that is installed right is vulcanized in and will never in a million years come flying out or leak.  The concern comes from the nail doing damage to a cord or belt, you can have a weak spot that will cause the tire to disintegrate at high speeds.  Think of your Busa as the Space Shuttle...one missing tile can have devastating results.
+1

I undersatand how to get the plugs in but how would you get the patches on?
The patches are for hardcore folks that will break a tire down on the side of the road, usually dual-sport or adventure touring types.
Patches are for inner tubes. N/A for the busa.
Kits similar to this are also availible at bicycle shops, just be sure to get a plug kit too at a auto parts store, walmart etc. Same with the CO2., cheap when you buy them for pellet guns.

I would use a plug to get out of a jam, but thats it, is there enough air in the C02 to fill up the tire? If the bead is broken I think your out of luck.

I have used the CO2 cartridges and they work fine to air up a tire....a mushroom plug from the inside is the right way to repair a tire
wink.gif

Back