Picking a new gun for the boy, need opinions

mini 14 is a great rifle and was my first center fire rifle growing up. shot alot of round though it over the last couple decades and it functions great. i think a 16" hbar or m4 style are would be lighter as accurate and a little less recoil for the same money. its really six of one and half a dozen of another, if it were me id get the ar as its what he wants. you can get a good brand (del ton, dsa, bushmaster, cmmg, dpms) for the same money as a mini 14, and theres dozens of sling attachments, if he gets older and wants to shoot farther or more accurately a new upper could be purchased with a heavier SS barrel too.

Well whatever I decide it definitely has to have a "cool" factor for.him. Another advantage of the mini 14, lots of accessories

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I have a soft spot for mini 14's. I had the most beautiful ss mini you have ever seen. God I miss that gun. Easy to shoot and easy to clean. I don't think you can go wrong with getting your boy one.

Still like D03s idea of the .50 for me......i mean they boy

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Mini 14 for sure, if not let him know daddy rides a GSXR1300 Hayabusa the fastest production bike on the planet, and get him a Magnum.... :laugh:

I would go with the AR as it comes in many formats that you can find to fit the kid perfectly. It handles magazines better than the Mini-14 and is 99% of the time more accurate. There is no comparison of the Mini versus the AR. The AR wins hands down. Lots of accessories. Any caliber upper and you have a new gun.

Sniper's Hide

These guys may help some, I like the idea of a father & son build, lots of pics, paint jobs & accesiories to assist in planniing, put together a nice coyote set-up based on the yardage you anticipate, get a 22 mag or hornet if it is close in (or shotgun if real close), 223, 243 if you need to reach out.. wade in, dont dive, he may not remain engaged. He also may not want to blow the yotes in half...

I world say ar. You only have to buy it once and your son wont have to worry about upgrading as he gets older.

Mini 14 or AR. I'd prefer the Mini 14 though. I had an AR. Meh.. I want a Mini 14.. Classy, refined.. :laugh:

saiga

Saiga 12 gauge and a lot of different types of ammo :) " the zombies are coming "" No wait they're already here" .. or get an AR... Ditto Ragu585

Back