Picking a new gun for the boy, need opinions

fast08busa

Professional Pilot kinda sorta
Registered
Went to cabelas today to spend a gift card and was looking at some new guns for my boy. I wanna get him something big enuf to hunt varmints, coyotes, maybe javelina. He likes the ar15 look so I think imma go that route. However I think a mini 14 would fit him perfect. Looked at some .17 hmr but dont know what the knock down power would be since ive never shot one. What firearm do u guys suggest???

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

How about a 22.250, great rifle round, flat shooting, and little recoil. We used to shoot prairie dogs with them.

a .17 is a little small for coyotes you will get a lot of run aways with a .17 when using it coyote hunting which could be fusterating to a new hunter in which could lose interest with hunting.
I personally wouldnt use anything smaller then a .223 / 5.56 for coyote hunting. With a .243 80 grain HP all you have to do is hit the coyote and the exit wound it will create will stop a coyote no matter where you hit it.

how old is he? and saiga's start at 299 and go up to 399 for the 7.62... 499 for the 12guage

.223 is great. I use mine for anything from prarie dogs to coyote and on the AR platform you can get from one target to the next quickly and accurately. Here's mine and it's my farvorite gun to shoot.

ar-rifle.jpg

I would go the mini14,ruger makes a great all around gun..plus its really easly to take apart to clean..actually not tools are required to take it apart..plus its a .223...if he ever got tired of looking at it,theres always lots of aftermarket parts that will completely change the appearance of the rifle..and large capacity round clips help also..lol..

Weight of the gun is also important when it comes to a young hunter. 8lbs - 9.5lbs. isnt rough on a grown man to carry around all day but its rough on a 90lb boy to lug.
Even more so with Coyote hunting, coyote hunting is very active, setup call blow up, move to the next setup. Lot of walking.
When looking to purchase a gun for field hunting pay attention weight of the gun or you may be hearing... I am tired this gun is heavy from a wore out fusterated child.

He is twelve and weighs in around 80-90 pounds. Thinking the ruger mini 14 would be nice and I could change out the wood stock for a polymer one........

I do agree with the need for it to be lightweight

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

He is twelve and weighs in around 80-90 pounds. Thinking the ruger mini 14 would be nice and I could change out the wood stock for a polymer one........

IMO the Ruger mini14 would be the best choice for the user.
Glad you are looking at all the angles before buying for a youngster. I see it to many times where the Dad will go out and buy a kid a gun way to big and heavy.
Now go out and buy one and post pics.. LOL!!
I own a couple of Rugers and I love em both! You get your moneys worth and then some with Ruger!!

I've never fired a mini 14 , but the AR-15 is such a great weapon, hardly any recoil at all.

Well as soon as we bounce back from the holidays and close on the house at the end of january (keeping our fingers crossed) Then I will go get him something. I just wanna do all my research and hear some opinions before I go buy. And D03, the barrett is on next years christmas list, maybe next year ill get it:please::please::please:

Hunting and shooting takes patience. A Savage .223 will take all the game that you mentioned. It will also teach to concentrait on each shot. Multiple shots don`t mean nuth`in if`ns ya can`t hit squat.

A good bolt action will serve you both very well.

savageshooters.com/SavageForum

Big Bo......

I shoot with a stevens model 200 .30-06 bolt action (savage model 110 without the accutrigger) and he has a brand new savage bolt action .22 that he could shot the :moon: off a fly at 50 yards, the kid is good. He shot my buddies remington r17 .223 and loves it so thats the platform i am looking for. Ill throw a scope on it and take him to the range for some fine tuning and he will pick it up.

Back