Picking a new gun for the boy, need opinions

Off topic slightly, but these are some good starter weapons. Not necessarily good for hunting anything much larger than squirrels and the like.

If you're really trying to get your kid interested in shooting, I think an AR-type weapon would be great. It's something he probably recognizes as a military weapon, and probably would find very cool. Several of the AR-type manufacturers are selling weapons chambered in 22LR now, and most of them are pretty reasonably priced. 22LR ammunition is so much cheaper than everything else, I think it would be a great place to start unless money is no object. I know when I was a kid and first got really excited about shooting, I burned up a ton of ammo at the range each time we went out. Here are links to a few good options in that category.

Ruger® SR-22® Autoloading Rifle Models

SIG522LR

M&P15-22<br>.22 LR - Smith & Wesson

Just for the heck of it, here's a pic I took a little while ago. From left to right it's 375 Remington Ultra Magnum, 223 Remington, and 22 Long Rifle.
The 375 is NOT recommended. :laugh:

Ive got 3 .22. One is ruger 10/22 with a full tapco conversion. The boy is ready for a larger caliber rifle. Here in arizona you cant hunt large game without getting drawn. I like the idea of a multi purpose smaller caliber lile a .223. If we ever get drawn for lets say elk, I feel comfortable with him and my 30.06.

Back