People with "fast" Harleys

I don't have a Harly (can't justify the cost), but I do have a Yamaha Road Star. I got it because sometimes I just like to sit back and cruise. I'm also partial to the big V-twin rumble.

I'd never compare it to my Busa though. Completely different ends of the spectrum. Each does an excellent job of doing what they were intended to do and I like them both!
smile.gif

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I have a Harley Softail and a Busa. They can't be compared and they are both my favorite when on them. When i am on the softail it's my favorite because it's comfy, has that Harley chop coming out the pipes, quick for what it is and Dayum Good Lookin'. It is my son's "best" as well. When I'm on the busa it's my favorite because... well you already know that answer. I am not going to give either one up and don't really know how people think they can compare the two. They are two different classes of motorcycles built for two different purposes. It's like comparing an SUV to a Saleen S7. Not too many parallels can be drawn.
The only thing I am currently trying to decide is if I want to sell the Softail and get a dresser. Gotta get the approval from my co-pilot first
biggrin.gif

I have had harley owners ask about how fast the Busa can go. I tell them how fast you can be going when you hit the top end of first and second and they just about s***! I personally don't think I would ever own a Harley. If it was going to be a tourer, I thing it would be Goldwing. Cruiser, maybe Victory to buy American. For now, Jap is where it's at!

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I have a Harley Softail and a Busa. They can't be compared and they are both my favorite when on them. When i am on the softail it's my favorite because it's comfy, has that Harley chop coming out the pipes, quick for what it is and Dayum Good Lookin'. It is my son's "best" as well. When I'm on the busa it's my favorite because... well you already know that answer. I am not going to give either one up and don't really know how people think they can compare the two. They are two different classes of motorcycles built for two different purposes. It's like comparing an SUV to a Saleen S7. Not too many parallels can be drawn.
The only thing I am currently trying to decide is if I want to sell the Softail and get a dresser. Gotta get the approval from my co-pilot first
biggrin.gif
Well said, I have both also. We rode Harley's down the Blue Ridge Parkway and it was one of the best times I have had. On the other hand, I rode my Hayabusa yesterday on one of my favorite twistie roads and it was great also. I'am like you whichever on that I ride is my favorite at that time. If I could only have one bike it would be a sportbike, but having both is the best of both worlds. I think that we lost track of the origional post, why would you hopup, a tractor engine? They are great to cruise on, but no performance nomatter what you do to it.

I have had harley owners ask about how fast the Busa can go.  I tell them how fast you can be going when you hit the top end of first and second and they just about s***!  I personally don't think I would ever own a Harley.  If it was going to be a tourer, I thing it would be Goldwing.  Cruiser, maybe Victory to buy American.  For now, Jap is where it's at!
I have to agree. Unless money was no object (Jay Leno) and I could own dozens of motorcycles, then maybe I'd have a Hardley for "decorative" purposes, not functional. Same goes for Ducatis and MVs (although they are beautiful to look at.) Sat on one of the fully-loaded new Wings at the bike show a few weeks back. That thing was awesome if you want a highway cruiser, like sitting in your armchair at home.

For performance, power, handling, braking, safety, comfort, noise, weight, reliability and value for money I'd have to go Japanese every time, in any class - sports/sports tourer/tourer/dirt etc.

I think some (most?) Hardley owners buy them because their highest priority is to fit the "image" rather than buying a motorcycle that they researched for the reasons given in the previous paragraph. If hanging out at bike meets and being "seen" is your motivation, go ahead and buy one, you'll be happy. Me, I prefer to ride it like I stole it...
smile.gif

Rode both but definately prefer the acceleration of the Busa. The busa just is awesome hands down. 15-20K for a decent harley and oh man think of what kind of busa you could build with that kind of cash.

I had a 107" custom for a bit.....the only thing it was really good at was puttin' a big ole grin on my face when I nailed the throttle in 2nd gear at 30 mph at sent that big 240 Avon up in smoke......different purposes, different tastes, but a big built twin does send a certain thrill through MY bones sometimes....

ihrear.jpg

The guy I ride with spent over $8000 on a S&S 124, that was 8 months ago and they just got it running today. With new engine, tranny, exhaust, and clutch (over $25,000 invested) I still leave him like he is standing still.:p

Back