Pending death

For ever "I" made it" there are 5-6 who've crashed, then1-2dead guys

There's a reason full coverage is so high on sport bikes, it ain't cuz they don't crash

There's also a reason the military has started a 2 nd MSF style class aimed specifically at sportbike riders
Posted via Mobile Device

You can head south on anything with 2 wheels just a matter of how fast, while i tell people start small i dont have much room to talk, my first ride was a nitrous snortin gsxr750 at the age of 16, moved up to my first busa at 19 and when i wrecked that it was going way to fast, in a area i shouldnt have been riding way to fast and i blew it! Lesson learned, healed got back on a 900RR and moved up to this busa now 6 years after the fact with a much cleaner head and not looking to go out and kill myself on a daily basis..

Hate to say it but i'm much to young to feel this damn old, my bodies rough from the first busa combined with backflipping snowmobiles etc, i more less just wanna cruise now i'd rather people look at my bike going down the road at 50mph and go man thats a nice bike than watch me pass em going 140 and going man that guys an idiot!:thumbsup:

It would be nice if there was a sure fire way to figure out who is capable of learning on a high hp bike and who is not.

If the guy is a SrNCO he should have some sort of head on his shoulders. I'm sure he'll be alright.

Excessive Power can save your life. Not End it. I can't tell you how many times I cager tries to take over my lane and all I have to do is hit the throtle and get out of there. On a 250 you are Doomed.

I don't think there are any haters on this site per se. I just think there is general concern. They have a saying that "cats and dogs don't have the same luck." We are taught in the military( and I assume at home) to exercise prudence, diligence and wariness as we tackle the unknown) He may get lucky and be on I20E on one wheel...or he can end up like two SSG's who died in this command on older Hayabusa's...only one an actual novice.

I would have to agree with most, I to am a senior NCO and two of my junior NCOs want to ride. First are the mandatory MSF BRC training course so they can ride legally. Second, I recommended a nice 600 or GSXR750 to learn on. I would never allow one of my subordinates to get on a Busa as their first bike. I have been riding for almost 10 years, have both a 2009 Ducati 1198 and a 2000 GSXR1300 aka Busa and they both have almost gotten away from me at times. Lukcily, I have never dropped either (knock on wood). Ive been to the MSF BRC, ERC and the ARC-ST training courses and am about to get MSF Certified to be a rider coach. No person with any sense should have a Busa as their first bike as a dump on a 600 and a dump on a 1300 is a huge difference. The pure power and weight of the Busa is more than enough to scare the crap out of even experienced rides. But people are gonna do whatever they want, thats true but I couldnt live with myself is I ever recommended someone I am responsible for leading into combat jump on a Busa and kill themselves....enough said

I agree with your advice completely that he should get a good starter bike. There are some things that are just too costly to learn on the open road. Here are a few things I noticed when I first started riding:

1) I bought a good starter bike - 1999 Suzuki Katana 750 in 2000.
2) I learned how the ride the hell out of that bike.
3) I took a motorcycle safety riding class.
4) I bought a 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa after riding the Katana for about two years.
5) The transition between bikes was natural as the Hayabusa and Katana have roughly the same weight, biggest difference being increased power.
6) Learn to respect the power of any motorcycle
7) Reinforce the basics of good riding.

These are some talking points that may help him out.

Enricqque

Good stuff..the busa is my first bike and i haven't had any issue what so ever.....hopefully he'll be wise with his decisions being a senior nco and all.

Good stuff..the busa is my first bike and i haven't had any issue what so ever.....hopefully he'll be wise with his decisions being a senior nco and all.

And you've riding how long? Miles?
Posted via Mobile Device

Slidell, so you'd recommend a 100+ hp bike as a first bike? Wait till you see the level of skill msf students have , it will hopefully change your mind, let alone a gsxr7

Last edited:
I have to agree with Racer_X on this one. A Busa isn't a starter bike for anyone, neither is a GSXR750. Get a smaller Katana or an SV650 or a 400SM or something similar that allows you to push the bike a bit without the fear of it biting back. Running through the gears on a motorcycle is huge fun and something you just can't do safely as a beginner on a big sportbike. Smaller bikes are also more fun when you are learning to ride because they turn easier and are more manoverable. And you don't need Busa like power to get out of the way of distracted cage drivers.....any bike bigger than 400cc has more than enough power to do that provided you don't weigh more than the bike. Being a Busa forum I really think we are out of touch sometimes in relation to how much fun motorcycles in general are....they don't have to be the biggest hp or the fastest or the prettiest. Ride safe.

I also agree....beginners who do hurt themselves, or worse, are unlikely to be on motorcycle forums entering a vote on this issue. Their bikes are in the scrapyard or in the listings along with their helmet and jacket.

Last edited:
I my case.. i have 100's of thousands of miles under my belt...when i got the Busa it became a whole new learning curve.....not in general riding itself.. but Pinning it.. Holy Shiat ....and slowing it down became a very large learning curve.... now after 9 years i am comfy on it..
I know what to expect...but still easy to get over your head on it without max concentration ALL the Time....She's sweetheart... with a devil in a Blue Dress On. Ah i Love the thing...Abit nervous right now..Stampede time in a few days....gotta keep the ego in the bottle....most of the time....First bike was the point...Yea you better have alot of self control....LOT'S !!!!

I agree with you even though I DIDN'T follow that advice.

I started on a 38Hp Ninja 250 for 6 months and then jumped straight to a 150Hp CBR1100xx......:

Talk about your fish stories! :laugh: Don't think there's ever been a 38hp 250 ninja unless you were on spray! :whistle: 19hp is/was the last spec I saw for the 09 250.

The big flag I saw in this story was crashing at 25mph during the class. On our BRC class, we barely got the bikes up to 20mph and even then I was advised to slow it down :laugh:

If you can't show restraint in a classroom setting, what more when you have no supervision?

Back