on the way to storage

Bdygrd4u

Registered
My friend was doing me a favor by taking my 05 Busa to storage about 4 miles from my house while I was at work. He hit a sand patch in the road while turning and went down. He was able to ride it to storage but said he bent the left side footrest and the stator cover was all scratched up. I just checked it out and the fairing seems to be ok. Stator cover needs replacement (I wanted a chrome one anyway) and the left footrest bent fowars making it impossible to shift.
My questions are; 1) I'm having trouble removing the left side fairing because of one bolt/clip that I cannot find (just under the gas tank?) 2) how do I remove the footrest?
I guess I will need to get a shop manual pretty soon as well.
Poor bike...only had 1 mile on it before my friend got on it. Oh yea...I guess I need a left front mirror as well. Rats!

There's a link to an electronic version of the manual on this site and on other 'Busa sites ... give that a try.
Very sorry to hear about your new baby getting scratched up
sad.gif

<!--EDIT|sageronin
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101920428 -->

My questions are; 1) I'm having trouble removing the left side fairing because of one bolt/clip that I cannot find (just under the gas tank?) 2) how do I remove the footrest?
I guess I will need to get a shop manual pretty soon as well.
Poor bike...only had 1 mile on it before my friend got on it. Oh yea...I guess I need a left front mirror as well. Rats!
Answers to your questions:

1.) Did you check all bolts on the bottom?
rock.gif
What I mean, is the one just behind the shifter and under your left footrest? Also, you will need to remove the bolt that holds the inner fairings together which is just to the left of your gas tank. One other thing is the inner fairing has a push-tab on it that locks it to the frame. It's hidden, so don't worry. Once ALL bolts are removed, then gently pull up on the inner fairing near the gas tank to remove the fairing. Hope this helps.

2.) There is a small "c"-clip on the bottom of the footrest where the pin goes in. You will need a pair of needle nose pliers to get it off. Sometimes a small flat-head screwdriver and a tap with a hammer will knock it off. Once clip is removed then the pin just needs to be pushed out. Just remember the placement of the little spring that allows the footrest to spring up and down. You can do this while rearset is still on the bike, but it's a little more work to take the rearset off to do the work. If you're one who doesn't like to get dirty by lying on the floor, then you'll probably want to remover the entire rearset. Hopefully you have a bike jack or bike stand to help. If not, then it's probably going to be easier to remove the entire rearset. Either that or have someone hold the bike upright for you.

Brian

Thanks for the info Brian. I will try both suggestions. I just hate causing more damage with screwdrivers against the fairing so I wanted to be sure. Bike is now in storage with some room to work on it.

Scott

That's why I can't let anyone else even sit on my Busa, its my baby!

I hear ya. I usually would not let anyone on it but the weather is getting worse and I have been working too late to make it to the storage place before closing. I figured only a few miles...what could happen.

Scott

Thanks for the help guys. Got the fairing off. just wasn't pulling up hard enough. Since I have to replace the stator cover...when I remove the bolts will there be a significant fluid drain? and do I have to replace the gasket...assuming there is one?

Scott

I hear ya. I usually would not let anyone on it but the weather is getting worse and I have been working too late to make it to the storage place before closing. I figured only a few miles...what could happen.

Scott
I'm just paranoid, I won't let anyone drive my car either. I guess I watched to many x-files episodes!
smile.gif

The good news is you have plentky of time to get it all fixed and polished. Sorry for your pain.

Thanks for the help guys. Got the fairing off. just wasn't pulling up hard enough. Since I have to replace the stator cover...when I remove the bolts will there be a significant fluid drain? and do I have to replace the gasket...assuming there is one?

Scott
Odds are you will tear the gasket when removing your cover that is scratched, I would definately replace it anyways. I think I ordered one off ebay for like 8 bucks.

Scott
Odds are you will tear the gasket when removing your cover that is scratched, I would definately replace it anyways.  I think I ordered one off ebay for like 8 bucks.
There will be a little fluid loss, but not too much. And yes, definitely change the gasket, but as was said you will probably tear removing the cover.

Back