Old Farts only

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
smile.gif

Usually dont go for the mushy stuff but I like this... KMC

If you lived as a child in the 40's, 50's, 60's or 70's,
this is for you. Looking back, it's hard to believe that we have lived as long as we have...
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or
air bags. Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.
Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint. We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention hitchhiking to town as a young kid!)
We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle, Horrors.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times we learned to solve the problem. We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on. No one was able to reach us all day.

No cell phones. Unthinkable. We played dodgeball and sometimes the ball would really hurt. We got cut and broke bones and broke teeth and there were no law suits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame, but us. Remember.....accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it. We ate cupcakes, bread and butter and drank sugar soda but we were never overweight...we were always outside playing. We shared one grape soda with four friends, from one
bottle and no one died from this.

We did not have Play Stations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, video games at all, 99 channels on cable, video tape movies,
surround sound, personal cell phones, Personal Computers, Internet chat rooms....we had friends.
We went outside and found them. We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door or rung the bell or just walked in and talked to them. Imagine such a
thing. Without asking a parent! By ourselves! Out there in the cold cruel world! Without a guardian. How did we do it?
We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever.
Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.
Those who didn't, had to learn to deal with disappointment on the "Farm Teams".
Some students weren't as smart as others so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade..... Horrors. Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected. No one to hide behind. The idea of a parent bailing us out if
we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law, imagine that! This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers
and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years has been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had Freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we
learned how to deal with it all. And if you're lucky, you're one of them. Congratulations!
Please pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good.

I've read this one (or a similar version). It's hard to believe so much has changed in so little time. I think I was on the trailing edge of all this. SAT required calculators the year after I took it (then graphing calculators a couple years later). No one had cell phones when I went to high school, but about 8-10 years later, they all seemed to have them. At the martial arts school I attend, I still drink water straight from the tap while everyone else pays 50 cents a bottle (leaving them littered around the school for me and the few other senior students to clean).

I have tried pinpointing the cause, but to no avail. Elementary school teachers were as boneheaded then as they are now. Hyperactivity became ADD when I was in grade school and later became ADHD then dyslexia (more labels). Maybe the media and mass-marketing to a public that does not know any better is a major cause.

Who knows.
rock.gif

How true is that. I remember flipping over curbs in my wagon and drinking water from a stream. The last time I saw that stream it was almost dried up and looked like rust instead of water. Being all of about 7 years old and being able to disappear for the entire day and mom not worring a bit. The days of having the worst thing that could happen to you was a stubbed toe are long gone.

I watch my Kids now Ages (17,17,15 & 14) and wonder if they are going to have those same fond memories as we did when we were children. I think their memories will be of the first Sega, or the week the AC went out. The world ended when power rangers went off the favorite list, and let us not even mention Barney.Try as I may I just can't seem to give my children a taste of what we had when we were growing up. It was a far easier time, we didn't have to worry about getting shot while in school or diappearing on the way home, all we had to worry about was getting home as fast as we could when Dad whistled. Those were the days

What is really amazing when you think about it is that we have managed to keep up from where we started.  Where will we and our children go from here indeed.
egitarre77.gif

Looking back....... I should not be here
face7.gif
... My wife always says the angels have fist fights on who was going to ride with me.... Sue says the looser angel gets to ride with me. Boy some of the things I have done and in the end came out smelling like a rose... I must have a horse shoe stuck in my ass...
biggrin.gif

First off you are only as old as you feel. I remember moving to a new town in '76 on the 4th of July weekend. This was one of the best years of my childhood. I was going to be in the 4th grade that fall. A couple of years later I remember riding my bike with a friend 12 miles to the KOA off of interstate 80 exit 7, just to go swimming for the afternoon. I just can't see that happening today. Cow tipping. Getting shot at by farmers for playing in their fields. (shotgun from way to far away. You heard it hit you but barely felt it) Swimming in the river. (Actually the river at home is much cleaner than it was back then.)

We also had common sence. Too many kids today don't.

Later,

Steve

Looking back....... I should not be here
face7.gif
... My wife always says the angels have fist fights on who was going to ride with me.... Sue says the looser angel gets to ride with me. Boy some of the things I have done and in the end came out smelling like a rose... I must have a horse shoe stuck in my ass...
biggrin.gif
Looser or Loser? heh... sorry....

I was raised around older people. My best friends are 30 years older than me. anyway...

Pac-Man ruined me as a pre-teenager just from the standpoint of "geeks". The guys that ruled Pac-Man in the pre-80's are the same guys that make 60k+/yr just for us to get on the internet right now. Clean clocks? Please! gimme a geek in a real-world environment... e-commerce, discussion, I even smoke some of them on game day. UT2K3? HEH... watchout!

I hesitate to think that age is relevant, unless in a social environment... drinking, looks, etc... maturity is the final decider. Playstation or Atari 2600. Neon or Volare. Gaps or Levis. Been around the world and I, I, I, I cant see where I am judjed by age.

Just my $0.02

Old fart = something only old people smell.
glare.gif

cache Thanks for the spelling help.... ya get older and the mind goes..... Most of the time I do good for a two fingered typer.

Back