my abused life

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because, WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all
day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computer! s, no Internet or chat
rooms.......

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them.CONGRATULATIONS!

Share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

Forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

super.gif
super.gif
super.gif

super.gif

super.gif

I distinctly remember "Jumping the gully" on our bikes... the gully was a 6-8 foot wide ditch near a new house construction neighborhood.... we'd go as fast as we can on our 1 speed bike, hit a plank ramp and hope for the best. We sailed, sometimes landed, other times cracked our nads or broke the spokes and rim while SLAMMING into the side of the ditch due lack of air. Many scrapes and gashes... Mom never freaked out and called 911 [which didn't exist] she bandaged it up and asked if we learned anything.... "Yeah, start further up the hill to get more speed and distance."

"Dirt Clod Fights" again, new house construction area - hiding behind piles of dirt and throwing baseball sized chuncks of dirt at each other. Pretty caveman-like, but fun. Sometimes you would peak out only to have a large HARD chuck explode on the side of your head.... stars, dizziness, whiteout, the whole works. and it was FUN!

Nowdays people CUT themselves to feel alive. Getting hit on the head with a hard chunk of dirt will make you KNOW you are alive, I'll tell ya that!

My friends kids are all BABIED to the point of total parental reliance. Which I personally feel is sad. WE are supposed to raise our kids to be independant and self reliant. All around me nobody seems to be doing that. Do my friends suck? Am I seeing it wrong? Is ti only me?

My folks weren't smoker/drinkers, but I swear EVERYTHING ELSE on that list, we did exactly as described. I was abused! By my own choice
smile.gif

LOL WWJD...good topic...

My sister is "one of those Moms" because she'll call all the way from Colorado in tears if her baby's got a runny nose. I'M NOT KIDDING! She's a wreck and has the emergency doc on call at 1 a.m. on a Sunday if she needs him...I ask her "does she have a fever?" and try not to laugh...

I'm so passive with my kids at times it scares me...Sam (my 6 year old) wrecked on his dirt bike a while back, face down in the gravel, screaming...I parked my dirt bike and very calmly walked over to make sure he was okay, and of course he was. If you go insane each time your kid gets a scratch, you'll raise a kid that can't handle the bumps and bruises in life...it's a sad commentary on today's society, but not everyone's subscribed to the "Baby 'em to death" declaration, at least not yet
laugh.gif

This morning, my two hooligans were rough-housing and one got struck in the eye...I didn't even look at it until after they'd both sat on the couch for 10 minutes because they were driving me nuts, then I see Sam's getting a shiner
laugh.gif
Oops...
wow.gif

laugh.gif

life is rough-really rough....if parents dont teach their kids how to cope with dissapointment, being dead-last, and how play with real live children instead of planting their a**es in front of screens all night, we're going to see some sad thing to come...

personally, my daughter (not living w/me) is weight problems because her mother could give 3 s**t about healthy food...fought over this for years and its only gettin worse. I see my only recourse is going to be going back to court with my ex.

my sons' mom on the other hand take excellent care of him emothionally/physically, IMO. She mothers him like a mom shud-and knows that I do what dads do...if its bleeding, clean it n cover it. If its not-then you didnt get hurt that bad. If I didnt use this philosophy with my boy he'd be crying every time he goes outside....he has Arthogryposismultiplex Congenita affecting all four limbs and he cant put out a hand/arm to keep himself from falling on his face-so I taught him how to twist n fall on his side and keep his face away from harm.
Its harsh reality that I cant save my boy from every bump n scrape-but I can prepare him for it. Now when he falls (5yrs this April) he can roll himself over n after help getting up-he'll go right back to playing with the other kids....pain is a part of life and those that try to run from it instead of accepting and dealing with it will only make things worse.

bowdown.gif
applauding you guys as good parents! Rock on! Then, when your kids are all grown up and they realize you weren't so stupid, you will get the pleasure of listening to them talk about how other people their age are so mixed up and causing themselves such crappy lives... leading to "you were good parents to us... thank you!" I tell my folks that all the time, and it lights up their day just to know they he11 they went through and put up with raising us.... was the right he11 to walk though.

If something does not change we are
going to have a nation full passive
treehuggers that waits on Uncle Sam
to solve it's every problem!!!

I help teach an advanced belt kids karate class. They were sparring last night and one kid fell onto his shoulder. I'm sure it hurt like he__, he's little and skinny. He was laying there crying. I checked the shoulder to make sure it wasn't dislocated and asked him if he was dead. He said "NOO". I told him we could fix about anything else. He started laughing at me and got up to finish sparring. Kids will milk it if you allow it. Quit babying them.

I have to agree with you WWJD, it's amazing to me that I made it to high school (they didn't have middle school when I went), let alone my 50's.

Dan

Back