okay, cut-out fix again

pmb, how long ago did you have this pump replaced? and how many miles have you ridden it since the repair? the reason i ask is that mine was replaced and the same day it cut-out again. maybe i got another defective pump? don't know. any info you could provide would be appreciated. possible yours is still having the problem and you haven't had a chance to post yet. thanks.
mike

I went out immediately after the mechanic said it has done was Suzuki Switzerland suggest to fix the problem. In fact, Suzuki found "a" fix to a perticular problem on a perticular bike, what happened is that it fixed the cut-out on my bike too.
I posted a test protocol to make the engine cut-out, and believe me or not: My bike do not cut-out anymore. The strange thing is that my busa has a complete different behavior, and I love it, this is a real Blaster on the road, all of my friends stays behind in the mountains, R1, TL-1000R, GSX 750, ZX7R, all of them !
To be honest, I don't exactly know what they did on the bike, because they don't want to tell anything about it before the corporation knows it and do something about it. The only thing I heard is that it was related with the fuel pump, maybe the filter. What I guess is, out of the factory, the tank is not cleaned correctly and some particles damage the pump.
I will try to find out if I can have more information, then I'll post it here. Keep bustin !

My bike has suffered fron engine cut-outs from 4 miles on the clock up until 900 when I finally dumped it back with the dealer.

I have entered the legal phase for the recovery of my money. The dealer, seemingly ignoring the fact that I'm about to initiate legal proceedings, called me today to say that they're spending their day riding around on my bike clocking up the miles to see what makes it cut out. They haven't the first idea how to fix it and claim that I'm the only person in the world to suffer from the problem. I called Suzuki UK (I'm in England by the way) and they claim that nobody else is having this problem. Of course, we know different.

I printed out some of the comments from this board and presented the printout to the service manager at my dealer. He said, and I quote "The Internet is full of poop". So, there we all have it. I'm the only person in the world to suffer from engine cut-outs and you, I and everybody on this board are just all full of poop.

The fact that my dealer has had 8 weeks to work on it but doesn't have a clue how to resolve the problem gives us all an indication of who's really full of poop when it comes to the workings of a Hayabusa.

For your information I have formally put Suzuki and my dealer on notice by recorded postal delivery that I believe some Hayabusa's suffer from a serious problem which renders the bike dangerous to ride and further, that in the event that any Hayabusa owner suffers injury as a result of the engine cutting out then Suzuki will have no defence by claiming that they were not aware of the problem. If you, or anybody you know has an accident as a result of an engine cut out then post it here and we'll good time em right up. They are now absolutely fully aware of the engine cut-out problem and it's now down to them to sort it. If Suzuki in your country, or your dealer claims not to be aware of the problem then tell them to call the customer services department of Suzuki UK and ask for Andrew McQuillan. He knows all about it - chapter and verse.

I'll keep you appraised of my dealer's and Suzuki's ignorance and inactivity as this farce unfolds.

I really wanted this bike and with the exception of the cut-out problem I loved every minute of riding and owning it. It is truly a great bike. I just feel very let down and disappointed with my dealer and suzuki right now.

Regards

My bike has been fixed since two weeks now and I do not have those cut-out anymore.
I did use the protocol for testing I posted some weeks ago.
I am not sure they have changed the fuel pump because Suzuki do not want to tell anything about it and they asked the mechanic not to say anything about it, the only thing I know is that it is related to the fuel flow, maybe the pump, maybe the filter, and that the tank was not cleaned properly at the factory. Keep you posted.

I posted this once before elsewhere--don't remember which post.
But, If you look using a flashlight into your tank, looking from the front of the bike into the rear bottom of your tank you will see a blue framed plastic strainer. The strainer is actually white. Mine looked spotless so I didn't remove the fuel pump yet. But, I still have this twitch or hicup when idling or low rpm. It is a hesitation. Doesn't die only does it when it feels like it.
Anyone else ever looked into the tank? especially those that had the pump changed out? I still did not receive my manual so I'm not positive on what i see. But, if poop was in the tank it would seem to have to cover this strainer.
Bob

Dealer level response, after the service manager called Suzuki with my problem he was instructed to check fuel pressure. Only problem he has to order a fuel pressure gage from Suzuki. So next week he will check pressure, and take it from there. Still no word from Suzuki Customer Service in California. They must be so busy they don't have time to even call back on a life threatening problem. I just think they do not want to blemish the "Bike of the Year" status with any recalls or admitted problems. I just don't want to become a fatality when my bike cuts out in an intersection when a trailer truck runs me over. Or have to coast into the side of grandma's car as she backs out of her driveway. It is a potentialy dangerous situation that could occur during a "cut out".

May I assume that some of you with this problem have stock bikes? Suzuki won't do anything for you if your bike is not stock.

Hello Jeffw

Yes, my bike is completely stock. As I said, it first cut out after only 4 miles which is the distance from the dealership where I picked it up to my house.

I received a response from Suzuki to my letter this morning. Their customer services department have appointed an individual to investigate my complaint and I am advised that they will get back to me "within a few days". They'd better get on with it since my 7 day deadline for a new bike or a refund expires on Tuesday.

I sincerely hope that between them my dealer and Suzuki can sort the problem on my bike so I can get back to enjoying myself but if this isn't the case then it's a fight for my money back starting 9 o'clock Wednesday morning.

Regards

To all,my bike had poor performance at times and it was intermitting at times and when it got worst I could smell raw gas.I thought maybe it could be the way the brain was regulating the fuel to the EFI or maybe bad electrical connection.I did not trust any local Suzuki people touching my bike so I took it apart and found my problem was one of the two hoses that come from the gas tank to the unit under the tank "maybe the electronic Fuel pump" anyways the forward hose was almost off the unit.After securing the hose correctly this bike rips,now all I have to do is the air box mods.So I think most of the major cut out Hayabusa problems thru out the world has to do with the fuel system.My 1cent

Still can not tell how many have this problem.
I think I have counted three? hiabuser, pmb, Busownerinblighty. I do not have a cut out problem, my bike does not die. It hicups or hesitates for a fraction of a second-once in a while low rpm and idle.
Please post if you have the problem here, lets have a count it may help the case.
Suzuki did admit this problem to me a few weeks back. Said they were looking into it?
Bob

Count me in as another victim of the dreaded cutout. It happened for the first time last week. I got stuck in a traffic jam for about 25 minutes in 90 degree weather, and as I was pulling into my Suzuki dealer, the bike bucked violently a few times and seemed to die. I pulled the clutch in and managed to keep the engine running at about 4000 RPM for a few seconds. After that it just quit. After a 15 minute cool down period it fired right up.

As for details, the bike has 5600 miles and is totally stock. Ambient temperature was high 80s, low 90s. While stuck in traffic the cooling fan came on a few times, but the temp guage never went over the half way mark. Frame number is 02469.

Jeremy

PS. I just got a call from the parts man, and he told me that my shop manual was finally in!!! Only 3 1/2 months on backorder!

Count me to, Bob.
One "Busacutout" from France, one...
I have two problems : clutch "clack" and engine cut out (when hot, like all the other bikes in this topic). I love this bike but too much is too much.
I will write tomorow to Suz.

[This message has been edited by gc_hayab_fr (edited 22 August 1999).]

I confirm that I am not in the cut-out victim anymore, I put the bike to the limit many times but it still there and kickin' my ass ! ( sorry ! ) I just changed the exhaust system to a carbon one, nice noise and a little bit more fluid in the power.
The mechanic was asked not to say anything about it by Suzuki. The only thing I can say is that it is related to the fuel admission, maybe the pump, I know now they didn't change it !!! They fixed something around...but what ! I will try to ask more and maybe something will come out during the discussion. Keep bustin'

Thanks a lot for this pmb !
It's important for me cause i have to bring the bike to the mechanic next week for this problem. I just hope that french mechanic have the same (top secret) input from Suz than your guy.

[This message has been edited by gc_hayab_fr (edited 23 August 1999).]

Secret fix, why would any reputable mechanic/dealership perform some type of VooDoo mystery repair on anyones bike. If someone wrenches my bike I want, expect, and demand to know what they did. That is Bulls#@t not to tell you what was done. Call your DMV in your state and I am sure they do not endorse such repairs. Did they charge you fo the mystery fix? What is that dealers name so my dealer can learn their secret fix.

To PMB,
Make sure if your bike is worked on you get a detailed description of what was done.
All parts/labor and make sure it is legible.
Also somewhere on the invoice have the mechanic write repaired problem indicated.
You will need this type of wording/documents for any type of recourse - Lemon law in N.H. states vehicle has to be brought in for repair three times for the same problem with acknowledgement that the vehicle was repaired fully.
I have noticed with any new vehicle that I have owned.
When I went to the dealer for warranty work
They would always say Your All Set!! All Fixed!!And then when you ask for paper work, they rattle of the things they did and reply NO Paper Work Your All Set..
Don't let them do that to you!!!!
The dealers know the lemon laws too.
And want to leave you with the least ammunition they can get away with.
Take it from someone who has been there and learned.
Document!Document! Document!
Also everone on this board let's stick to gether with our bikes and the problems we are having.
There is power in numbers.
You can't tell me if a hundred or so of us sent letters with serial #'s to Cycle World Magazine and explained the run around we are getting with Suzuki concerning there flagship bike ( and the bike most magazines claim is the top bike for 1999 ) that, that would not get there attention!!
Imagine Cycle world or sport rider doing a write up that reads....Hayabusa goes so fast it shuts down on its own!!! and lets the competition fly by!!!
Man....Suzuki would have a spell.

[This message has been edited by Michael Poulicakos (edited 23 August 1999).]

I have the cutout problem also (as stated on other threads). Cutout's only started 3 weeks ago (6000 miles). Have had clacking/clunking clutch for a long time now.

serial# 00086 3/99 UK spec.

Big Pete

Back