okay, cut-out fix again

OB_hiabuser

Registered
okay, sorry for the last post. but now i have some good news. My mechanic, after having the busa for three weeks, has finally found something wrong that was (supposedly) causing the cut-out problem. he was pretty positive that it was a fuel delivery problem from the beginning. well, he was having a hard time duplicating the problem, it usually took mine a little bit of driving to get it to cut-out, but finally put a fuel pressure guage on it and ran it on the dyno for about half an hour and sure enough, the fuel pressure suddenly started to drop and the bike died. After this, he took the fuel pump out and found that the screen inside was clogged badly. I only use amoco premium fuel in 93 octane, and he can't explain how it got that way. He ordered a new fuel pump, yes, they have it in stock, and it should be in early next week. Anyway, once i get it back, i'll post how it turns out. Meanwhile, anyone who is having a problem with the cut-out, go to your dealer and have the mechanic hook up a fuel pressure guage to the bike. they'll see this problem. Seems once the fuel filter in the pump begins to clog, the pump works harder to get the fuel through and then starts to overheat. the fuel pump has a shut off circuit that cut's it off temporarily. we'll see what happens. ill post in a week or two. laters.
mike

the dealer tossed the filter ! its the size of a bic biro end cap its approx 5/8 dia 1/4 long suzuki recomended the filter be removed my bike has been ok since!

Hope this it. why not just remove or clean the screen?
But, I spoke with Suzuki today Brad, x-380 in their corporate office in Brea, CA.
I was searching for my back ordered parts, mainly the manual. Said they were due in on 7/29, then 8/5. Suppliers didn't deliver.
Anyway, it seems he finally admitted a cut out problem. Said they were working on it. Had a bike in that was being tested. Said it seemed to be related to heat?
Also admitted that one Busa went down with a timing chain tensioner failure. But quickly followed with its the only one of over 4000 Busas. They have not claimed a warranty problem or design issue.
Maybe Brad is full of crap, I don't know. But he acknowledged my Twitch problem that I posted also. Think there the same issue as the cut-out?
Bob

Ok this filter can it be removed and cleaned ?
And if so why are they fitting new pump??
Is it because pump overheated,like what I mean is every time the filter blocks do you have to fit a new pump ?

But what does that mean??? You need to replace the fuelpump every few thousand miles? Isn't that a serious problem? Especially once it's out of warrantee.
Surely there should be some fix from Suzuki?

I'm still sceptical that the reported cut-out problem is heat related. It seems that those of us in the south where we have now had 14 straight days of 100+ degree F days
(and counting) would be walking every day. My Busa has hit 180mph at 103 degrees ambient temperature with a reported 120 degrees on the street (due to heat from asphalt) and I haven't encountered even a tiny stumble. The only 'cutout' I have yet encountered was during a high speed romp though the gears when I was nearly out of fuel (light was on) and this had been mentioned as fuel starvation due to low fuel level by others beforehand. I wanted to see if that was true - it was. I'm wondering if the small fuel filter being plugged isn't the cause of this? This filter seems to have been the cause for at least one owner? Particles in fuel clogging filter? Also my bike sits in my garage always unless I am riding it and it is well above 110 degrees F in the garage during the day. My Busa bakes all day in the garage and still no problems when I ride in 100+ degree weather.

Well Todd I have to agree with you on this heat issue. My bike cut out only once during a HOT day. The rest of the times it was a 80 degree day.I also read here that (If the fuel pump plugs it will overheat and shut off). The bitch :(is to check the filter you have to pull the pump out of the tank. I do not think throwing away the filter is a good idea since crap will just end up further down the system.

Bob, keep up the flow of information you are doing a great job on this one. It sure beats pleading for a ZX12 video, and is more along the true purpose of this board. Thank You! :)

A pump requires a specified NPSH (net positive suction head) to work properly. The NPSH is a function of the friction loss in the piping system and the difference in pressure between the inlet and outlet.

An alternative filter could probably be used if the flow restriction is not greater than the maximum restriction designed in the OEM specification. Its best to have a filter in your system to reduce wear to the pump and clogging of the injectors.

This is assuming its worth replacing the filter because the filter is defective, not something else in the system that is clogging the filter.

Today it hit 113 degrees F for the high. The garage must have been 130+? I waited until late afternoon when it had cooled to 106 and went for an hour and a half spin. No sign of a cut-out - front wheel still coming of the ground under full throttle etc. I'm not saying it can't possibly be heat related (the cut out some have experienced) but one would think I would/should have it by now if it were strictly heat related. The weatherman was nice enough to point out that it's hotter in our state than it is in Arizona. Wish he wouldn't tell me that. :) The Busa still calls me no matter what the weather. I can't help myself. My name is Todd and I'm addicted to speed. I'm a Busaholic! :)

Wow - just found out that we had the high temperature for the entire United States today at 113 degrees F [heat index of 120]
This is Ardmore, OK. The mighty Hayabusa never broke a sweat!

They also said today was the 19th day in a row of 100+ degrees - not the 14 I posted earlier.

Todd--i am skeptical too. But, it could be that only some of the bikes are affected?
Thats why we were looking for a pattern with serial number posts.
The fuel pump thing sounds a little weird, but i will remove mine and look.
Any help anyone can give me would be nice. I still don't have my manual. I should be able to figure it out without one. Its gonna rain here for the next two days so its a good time to look at it. I'll let you all know.
Bob

okay, the probably cause of the clogging of the fuel pump was (once again, probable) the stuff the factory puts in the gas tank to protect it from rust due to moisture etc, as the fuel get's sloshed around, it knocks some small particles away from the inside of the tank. after a while, there are no small particles clinging to the tank to fall into the filter. all i can say is, i asked the same question of my mechanic, will i have to replace this damn thing every 2500 miles? but after cleaning the tank, they believe this is the culprit. so, i don't think i will have any further problems. will continue to post after more mileage. do what you gotta do. i did.
mike

Called Suzuki today at the California Headquarters, We will take your name and number and someone will contact you in the next 5-7 days. Brad was in a meeting, is what I was told and I will have to wait my turn to talk to anyone.

THE PROBLEM IS FIXED !
IT WAS DEFINITIVELY THE FUEL PUMP, MY HAYABUSA WORKS PERFECTLY NOW; I GOT A REAL BIKE NOW !!!
SUZUKI ASKED ME NOT TO DELIVER THIS INFORMATION AND THEY EVEN DIDN'T GIVE ANY DETAILS BUT I FOUND OUT BY MY SELF WHAT THEY DID TO THE BIKE !
I HOPE YOU GUYS GOT THE SAME AND THAT IT WILL BE FIXED FOR YOU TOO, BECAUSE THE HAYAB IS HAWFUL WITH THESE CUTS-OUT.
I WISH YOU HAPPY RIDING UNDER THE SUN, HERE IT IS RAINING, THE SEASON IS OVER, I GUESS.

I have noted with interest your fix to the 'cut-out' problem, having experienced it twice in the past few days on my UK registered 'busa (chassis ..00307). The bike has covered 5300 miles and this is the first time it has been affected this way. I am curious to know whether it has affected other UK registered bikes. The local main dealer states that they have heard nothing from Suzuki. Haven't got any manuals either!!

Back