Oil pan bolt crushwasher question

mikejmd

Registered
I am doing my 4000 mile oil change. Dealer did the 600 service. When I purchased the Suzuki oil filter, I also purchased a crush washer for the oil pan bolt. The washer that was on the bolt was an aluminum flat washer. It was most likely re-usable, but I decided to put the crush washer on the bolt. Does it make a difference which way the crush washer is put on (ridges towards the oil pan or bolt head)?
If so, what is the proper orientation?
Thanks, Mike

basically all the seals (flat or crush washer) are reusable..

Torque spec is the same either way.. I have reused washers for years and years.. My criteria for changing the thing? it was leaking to start with..

Cars use the exact same sealing system and I can promise you that the dedicated "lube" shops do not replace the seal unless absolutely necessary (was leaking and the pan bolt was tight)

basically all the seals (flat or crush washer) are reusable..

Torque spec is the same either way.. I have reused washers for years and years.. My criteria for changing the thing? it was leaking to start with..

Cars use the exact same sealing system and I can promise you that the dedicated "lube" shops do not replace the seal unless absolutely necessary (was leaking and the pan bolt was tight)

:werd:

I've never changed it out, and never had a problem. If I see a few drops, it'll be where I look first. But for now it's fine.

Yes they have a certain side.....I do not remember which ones right.Do not bother ......leave the used one on.I tried once to change mine on a 04 busa and I striped the threads of the oil pan.....couldnt realize (because of new washer)where to stop(tightening)Use always a torque wrench

Last edited:
I did not realize this was a controversial question.:whistle:

The controversy stems from year after year where there are those that think that changing it out is the best thing to do. Which is 'Obsessive Compulsively Disorder' ridiculous.

The washer is well mated to the bolt and seat like Bogus and other reiterate.

You will see that the curved up side will fit properly towards the bolt, "downward", away from the pan.

Funny this came up. Just bought a new filter - never changed it before - and asked the dealer if this comes with the gasket. He Hands me a new crush washer. Huh? It's for the drain plug. Hmmm, I don't think I've ever even replaced one of these on a spark plug before. Ok, it's $1.38, what the hall.

Take it back,,, tell him you want a refund. Money towards a cup of coffee would be more enjoyable.

Too late to return. I installed the washer with the flat side against the oil pan. Please don't flame me.:laugh:

I'll send you a cup of coffee if you want! :welcome: Not sure if it will be hot when it gets there though.

Back